General FreeSpace > FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support

What are MDMP Files and How do I Use Them?

(1/2) > >>

Trivial Psychic:
So I've been getting ready to play SAH, but I've found two models that cause a CTD with no message even under a debug build.  One is the inf_vidar.pof and the inf_latona.pof.  The log file ends with the attempted load of the file, then a "CRASH DETECTED!!!" line indicating that it wrote a "crash dump" file.  When I found the file and opened it in notepad, it comes up completely un-legible.  How do I use this file to figure out what the problem is?

Phantom Hoover:
It’s a memory dump file containing a copy of FSO’s memory when it crashed. You need developer debug tools to do anything with it, and given the nature of the bug it should be easy for a developer to reproduce anyway. Post your fs2_open.log though, it might have some useful info.

Trivial Psychic:
Here's the log file.  I tried to include the mdmp file but HLP objected to the type, so if you need it I'll have to zip it or something.

[attachment deleted to save space]

Trivial Psychic:
Any thoughts?  I tried copying the same model file from an older install on my other drive but it gave the same result.  I've been looking for a suitable replacement for the Latona.  I might have to use an Apollo for it.

[Update]
Well, I just opened both of the offending files in PCS2 and re-saved them and they worked.  It must have been something buried too deep for FSO's existing warnings to catch.

Trivial Psychic:
So I've encountered this no-warning-crash a few times, and each time I can overcome it by simply loading the model in PCS2 and re-saving it... until now.  I'm considering a play-through of TBP but I've been getting a CTD from the Aurora models.  I've tried deleting them and re-downloading, but it didn't help.  What I did find strange however, is that I can load these models in the techroom without issue, but as soon as I load them in the lab, or attempt to open FRED, I get a ctd or in the case of FRED, it just silently aborts the program.  This occurs with both release and debug builds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version