Off-Topic Discussion > The Classics

Let me............... Tel-e-port you!

<< < (3/85) > >>

The E:
Seriously, this is not hating on humanity. Unless being aware of humanities' limitations is somehow hating on it*.

And seriously, unless you can have a 24/7/356, autonomous presence in Antarctica, the Gobi desert, and the Ocean floor, without the people living there having to get back to nicer areas of the globe every once in a while, I don't think space colonisation is really viable.

*Disclaimer: I'm an Extropian

mxlm:

--- Quote from: General Battuta on October 29, 2009, 04:52:26 pm ---Not a hate-on at all. Humanity is adaptable and amazing. But we need to keep our perspective here; we have no evidence that we're doing particularly well in the long-run, or that our highly cognitive strategy necessarily leads to a survival advantage.

--- End quote ---

Yeah. The Industrial Revolution isn't more than a couple centuries old, and we can hardly say for certain it's going to be viable long-term. There're certainly a number of plausible scenarios (NBC apocalypse, anthropogenic climate change) in which it proves anything but.

Dark RevenantX:
We need teleportation.  It's the only feasible way to get across these distances...

Titan:

--- Quote from: The E on October 29, 2009, 04:57:09 pm ---*Disclaimer: I'm an Extropian

--- End quote ---

See Scrubs, episode 1.

"That's modern medicine for ya, kid. Keeping people alive that died years ago anyway."

Flipside:
Bloody silly way of checking for inhabitability :p

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version