Archived Boards > The Unification War

The Pericles is dog ugly

<< < (2/4) > >>

-Norbert-:
Wait, that circle on top is the airlock? But it's below the level of the engines! You wouldn't be able to dock anything up there, that's broader than the central part of the transport.
I thought that was some kind of overservation dome or somesuch.

Goober5000:
The space shuttle has to extend its docking ring to dock with the ISS.  And that's after it opens its cargo bay doors.  So, I don't think docking ring placement would be a problem for the Pericles.

And Black Wolf, this looks very promising. :) :yes:

Black Wolf:

--- Quote from: FreeSpaceFreak on March 25, 2010, 04:59:10 pm ---I can't see that much difference from the original ( http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/TT_Pericles ) ... I suggest you make the airlock-like section (the centre of the top)  a bit more pronounced. Also, the bottom of the hull could use some more greebles as well.
Just my two cents; of course it's just a transport, so if it doesn't play too big a role, don't spend too much time on it ;)

--- End quote ---

Well, that's the point of HTLing, surely? To make it look the same but better? And TBH the big change is going to be in the textures - you'll definitely notice it there. I've added some underside greebles, but what do you mean by "pronounced"?

Norbert - I'm limited by the original model, and so there's not much I can do about things like that.

FreeSpaceFreak:

--- Quote from: Black Wolf on March 25, 2010, 10:47:38 pm ---Well, that's the point of HTLing, surely? To make it look the same but better? And TBH the big change is going to be in the textures - you'll definitely notice it there. I've added some underside greebles, but what do you mean by "pronounced"?

--- End quote ---
As is, the airlock doesn't quite catch the eye, it's more like... it blends smoothly into the main hull. Of course, the texture may improve on that as well. But personally, I would expect the transition between hull and airlock to be somewhat more... technical-looking, instead of sleek. That might be just me though.

-Norbert-:

--- Quote ---The space shuttle has to extend its docking ring to dock with the ISS.  And that's after it opens its cargo bay doors.  So, I don't think docking ring placement would be a problem for the Pericles.
--- End quote ---
While this would be really nice I doubt it can be done in FS2. Instead of extending the airlock upwards it's more likely to have it's engines partially inside the ship or station it docks with, that's what I'm concerned with.

--- Quote ---I'm limited by the original model, and so there's not much I can do about things like that.
--- End quote ---
Maybe you could extend the airlock upwards a bit, so it's level or jutting a little bit above the engines. I don't think that would stray too far from the original model.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version