Author Topic: Who ? What ? Why ? How long ?  (Read 14285 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Who ? What ? Why ? How long ?
HM, I still don't get the unseen stuff. Some of the mechs mentioned are pretty much "canon" actually.

The warhammer, valkyire, Marauder and Marauder II are mentioned in the books. The longbow has already an appearance in MW4 Mercs and the Warhammer is in MW 5 (if that wasn't a hoak). For the rest, what I don't know from the books or game, I do not really want to have in the game, though if enough place is there, I don't mind too much, actually I don't have to use them :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline magic

Using Unseen = bad idea, no matter how cool it would be.  Harmony Gold is a buncha Dicks.

Also, model-wise, could we sync up the Mad Cat/Timberwolf (and any other Clan/IS designation) into one 'Mech model and file to avoid confusion?

I renamed all mc2 clan mechs to clan names. The Timberwolf model I made, uses that name for model files because I didnt wont to replace original Madcat model made by the mc2 dev team. Although I like Timberwolf, i didnt like the original model, so I made it a little better. Thats the only reason we have two models of the same mech.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
HM, I still don't get the unseen stuff. Some of the mechs mentioned are pretty much "canon" actually.

It's a copyright issue on the images originally used that made it a problem, not the 'Mechs themselves.  Trust me, if you've seen it in an official releast of anything BattleTech related in the last 20 years (with a few exceptions), it's not the Unseen version.  Shouldn't be a problem (and, as pointed out upthread, would only be a problem if this were an officially licensed product anyway).

I renamed all mc2 clan mechs to clan names.

You sir just earned 50 cool points.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It's a copyright issue on the images originally used that made it a problem, not the 'Mechs themselves.  Trust me, if you've seen it in an official releast of anything BattleTech related in the last 20 years (with a few exceptions), it's not the Unseen version. 

Basically, a number of the books still have the RFL-3N in the back.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Thats because they where most likely printed before the legal issues came up.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Karl

@Starman,

MW5 apparently is not a hoax, but there has been bugger all info post video because the video features a warhammer, and because it looks like the original warhammer design (not a reimage) Harmony Gold USA saw it and took legal action because the original warhammer look is still their IP.

Though there are small scraps of info here and there about development coming out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWarrior_%28reboot%29

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Yeah, the problem is that for BT's 25th anniversary, there was this huge, coordinated series of surprises('MechWarrior 3015', MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries free, and the release of all the Unseen(along with the 25th Anniversary Box Set, which was going to include Unseen minis, and the 25 Years of Art and Fiction book)).

The fandom rejoiced; there was singing and dancing in the forums and streets. Then HG apparently notified Catalyst/Topps that all their legal ducks were not, in fact, all in a row, pretty much derailing the party. The Art and Fiction book was hastily scrubbed of Macross-derived Unseen(though there were PDFs of the original version sold before things came to light), the 25th Anniversary Box Set has nearly become the 26th Anniversary Box Set due to related setbacks, and, HG's cease and desist against the MW 3015 trailer has probably scared off the potential publishers that Smith and Tinker/Piranha Games were hoping to attract.

And MS's legal dept. dragged out MW4 free for almost a year(but we(probably?) can't blame HG for that).

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
To clarify, the Mechs affected by the whole "Unseen" debacle are currently just the ones from Macross, and only their Macross-derived artwork. Redesigns like that of Project Phoenix, or Mektek's version of the Rifleman, don't fall under that category.

- Wasp
- Stinger
- Valkyrie
- Phoenix Hawk
- Rifleman
- Crusader
- Archer
- Warhammer
- Marauder
- Longbow (0-series only, the 7 and 12 series, from 3058/Mercs4 and Project Phoenix respectively, are fine)
- Marauder II

Apparently the Osts and IICs no longer fall into the "verboten" category either, since RS3085u-PP shows their artwork, and the Dougram/Crusher Joe designs (LCT, SHD, WVR, GRF, SCP, TDR, GOL, BLR) are now okay too, since Harmony Gold doesn't hold the license to those images.

As this is a fan-made not-for-profit production, though, we should be fine with using the remaining Unseens anyway. Mektek got away with it in the Mekpaks for those very reasons.

Also, hi! :D
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
This is amazing, truly truly incredible. I think HLP is beginning to earn a reputation as the place where amazing games of old come to be reborn.
Long live the modders, coders and die hard fans, wonderful bastards all.
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
This is amazing, truly truly incredible. I think HLP is beginning to earn a reputation as the place where amazing games of old come to be reborn.
Long live the modders, coders and die hard fans, wonderful bastards all.

YEAH!!!

wait... what bastards?

I mean... YEAH! :p
el hombre vicio...