Community Projects > Translations

[Release (0.6.3)] NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface

<< < (2/15) > >>

Novachen:

--- Quote from: starlord on October 04, 2020, 06:54:31 am ---So out of curiosity, would it be possible in the future to insert other characters like Cyrillic or kanji? Just a question mind you...

What I’m saying is that if there are other translation efforts in the future and that said translations are technically readable, freespace SCP might get a major popularity boost in the future.

--- End quote ---

If you use a specific ttf file for that it should be already possible.
Look at the Japanese Localization Mod. (You can still download it via Dropbox)

Even that is a different approach to that what i am trying to establish here. In Nikogoris Mod the english text was simply replaced with the japanese one.
I hope with NTP that is not needed anymore, it is intended to work as an additional working language that can be activated by the language entry in the fs2open.ini.
In this way, it would not affect the mod files in any way after the right IDs were included. So a mod developer could even update the mod and the translation would still work.

However for non-latin based languages you also need a specific TTF that uses the needed characters of course. Additionally a own fonts.tbl that defies that ttf is needed, too.

I mean, is there a demand, maybe a enhancement of the fonts.tbl can be requested where you can set up different font files for different languages.  :blah:

Novachen:
Well, next to he german translation i am working on myself i simultaneously try also to implement all already existing translation projects into NTP, so that they can serve as a base to be finished or expanded aswell.

Next to the said Japanese translation which is FS2 retail only i also got my hands on the files from the spanish translation project which includes complete FreeSpace Port and Silent Threat: Reborn aswell.
There seems to be an in-progress french translation project also at the moment. However i did not got in touch yet. Even i have the retail french translation from my multi-language DVD release, even it also includes the retail FS2 stuff and nothing from the SOTY.

However i do not have any polish text except from the Polish files from FSPort. Anyone can help me with the Polish text files from FS2?
If it works like in any other language release, the polish strings.tbl and polish tstrings.tbl would be enough. To be fail-safe i would like to have the font01.vf also.

Achille44:
As I started to work on French translations on my side, I would be interested in contributing to the French part of your "Neo Translation Project"  :D

How do you plan to release these translations in future? Will they be directly available through Knossos?

Novachen:

--- Quote from: Achille44 on October 11, 2020, 07:18:23 am ---As I started to work on French translations on my side, I would be interested in contributing to the French part of your "Neo Translation Project"  :D
--- End quote ---

Would like to see that :).

How far is your translation of the FS2 campaign? Even my strings.tbl is complete, my tstrings.tbl cover only all tables and every mission up to SM1-06 so far.
I planned a Demo release after i finished the first Act with SM1-10 (because i always offered Beta releases after i reached specific milestones in the german translation, too)
Is that soon enough for you or do you want the current indev version already, so that you can implement all of your french strings into NTP right now?
Would send you them via PM. We should get in touch anyway to organize ourselves to share our data. Dropbox, Google Drive etc.

--- Quote ---How do you plan to release these translations in future? Will they be directly available through Knossos?

--- End quote ---

So far i only planned to offer the Templates on Knossos which can be used for own translations. And full releases of mods that are not maintained anymore, because there is no one who add the string ids into the mod files. :D
By manual means you simple could add NTP into the secondarylist of mod.ini and the translations would work.

On Knossos, maybe all mods which were made NTP-compatible and included the proper IDs into the mod files can add NTP as an Dependency. (which could be also made optional to download if it used as a dependency for an optional package, whatever).

As this one is mostly a development thing, they will be offered here aswell, of course.

Achille44:

--- Quote from: Novachen on October 11, 2020, 08:36:00 am ---How far is your translation of the FS2 campaign?

--- End quote ---

So far strings.tbl is complete, most of the tables, and missions up to SM1-07.

Don't worry I can wait for your demo release.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version