Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The Modding Workshop

Tractor Beam

(1/4) > >>

Assassin714:
In the X-Wing and TIE Fighter game series, there is an option to have a tractor beam on your ship that can prevent enemy strikecraft in front of you from turning to evade your weapons. You can even force them to crash into a capital ship. Would there be a way to implement this in the Freespace engine? I want to make the Hammer of Light kamikaze into their own ships for once.

Novachen:
Ah lol, remembers me of the Grappling Hook days in the Colony Wars TC for FSO back then.

Even it did not worked as you describe the Tractor Beam.

But well, nice flashback nevertheless.

starlord:
If we are going that road, a jamming beam would be great too: same thing as the tractor beam, except instead of preventing a ship’s movements, it jams a ship’s primaries and secondaries (prevents firing).

Both weapons work by line of sight (get the craft in your sights and sustain the beam). The beam itself is invisible and does not « impact » enemy craft.

As a matter of fact, is it even possible to create a weapon in FS that does not impact enemy craft?

Novachen: a colony wars TC truly is the bee’s knees. What happened? Was it compromised by a cease and desist? Any chance we could at least save a ship pack?

Novachen:

--- Quote from: starlord on January 31, 2021, 01:02:49 pm ---What happened? Was it compromised by a cease and desist? Any chance we could at least save a ship pack?

--- End quote ---

Yep.
That simple happens if you have too much contact with some of the orignal developers of the game, i think.
That is the reason i am total out of such developments and are very sceptic about such mods in general, as the effort is better placed in original work.

I actually still have all the files of course. But well, D&C means that not even parts of it should be released.
But well the Ships are totally low-poly by today's standard anyway, as this was 10 years ago. I think to create them from scratch today would give better results :D

Did not want to capture this thread. Only the Tractor beam remembers me of these old days.

mjn.mixael:

--- Quote from: starlord on January 31, 2021, 01:02:49 pm ---If we are going that road, a jamming beam would be great too: same thing as the tractor beam, except instead of preventing a ship’s movements, it jams a ship’s primaries and secondaries (prevents firing).

Both weapons work by line of sight (get the craft in your sights and sustain the beam). The beam itself is invisible and does not « impact » enemy craft.

As a matter of fact, is it even possible to create a weapon in FS that does not impact enemy craft?

Novachen: a colony wars TC truly is the bee’s knees. What happened? Was it compromised by a cease and desist? Any chance we could at least save a ship pack?

--- End quote ---

This could probably be done via sexps or a script solution. Create a dummy weapon the player can select. If that weapon is in bank N and bank N is selected, lock primaries, else unlock. When trigger key is pressed, check for target in line of site and within range. If yes, do a thing to that target (lock weapons, ship-lat-maneuver, or whatever). If no, don't do a thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version