Author Topic: Ep. 420 "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 9658 times)

Offline Rainman

Re: Ep. 420 "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" Discussion (SPOILERS)
I really liked the double funeral with different ceremonies for the different religions.  A sign that Baltar's monotheists have gotten fairly powerful.  And sadly, I missed the first half.  I was pissed when I found out Sam Anders had been made into Galactica's hybrid.  How could they do that to the old girl?  And yes, the Galactica will be going out in style.  Or did anyone but me see during the previews for the next episode
Spoiler:
Adama mentions "it will most likely be a one-way trip", and his call for volunteers
?
Saw that indeed and its very interesting...

I hope the series ends on a positive note.  But I suspect we'll have allot of pain before we get to that point.

I just hope there is a huge space battle...BSG has had some good ones but not in a good amount of time.  During the send out I demand dramatic space battles with Vipers, Raiders, and so forth.  Of course it has to serve the story but you know what I mean.

Yea but I've heard him say that before... just watch it be a remake of the end of the battle of New Caprica with galactica getting shot up... but then out of the blue the baseship comes in and crashes into the Cylon Colony and Galactica lives to fight another day. But then again I might expect that from any other show but not BSG. The fact that they decided to end the show here means they care more about the story than about making money out of it, and they won't keep trying to squeeze more money through more seasons and ruin the story just for cash. I can't wait till next episode.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Also interesting to note

One of the biggest challenges of Islanded was actually scoring two different versions of it.  In addition to the version you just watched, I also scored an extended version for the DVD release.  Not only are many of the dialog scenes expanded, but there are several scenes that were cut entirely from the show that required substantial original music.  One of these scenes established that Tyrol is now in the brig for his role in Boomer’s escape and kidnapping of Hera.  I was disappointed that this story point was cut from the episode, since Chief’s arc last week was so emotionally powerful.

From http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=1671#more-1671
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I just know it's going to end with a kamikaze. It's so cliche, and I want to hate it. But at the same time, I can't wait to see some schweet 'splosions!!

Offline newman

Hey, did anyone else barely suppress a laugh when Starbuck said she was no angel? :D
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hey, did anyone else barely suppress a laugh when Starbuck said she was no angel? :D

Yes.

Yes.

Second.. hehe
Phasers?!?!?  We don't need no frakking phasers!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I just know it's going to end with a kamikaze. It's so cliche, and I want to hate it. But at the same time, I can't wait to see some schweet 'splosions!!

Could take a page out of Living Legend Part II and leave it a question mark :D  Not that they will but it would pay homage to the original series
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Could take a page out of Living Legend Part II and leave it a question mark :D  Not that they will but it would pay homage to the original series

No. Just, no.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

No. Just, no.

Is that a knee jerk reaction to TOS or do you actually object to the idea of a valiant charge into the teeth of her foes with her eventual fate left slightly ambiguous?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

I think the objection is, we've already paid homage to the Cain with the Cain arc. I think that an ambiguous ending would leave us hanging. I think that we need to see a strong, glorious, but unexpected end.

I still think everyone but starbuck will die >.<

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I think that the Galactica should be sent on a suicide mission to the heart of hostile territory and then Alpha 1 would jump in with an SF Dragon and docks with the Cylon colony's fighter bay and destroy it's reactors, creating a subspace cataclysm opening a portal to an Earth where it is a thriving human/cylon planet with lots of cool technology.  :nervous:

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Haha...I have to say thats about what I was thinking too.

Maybe it won't be strictly a kamikaze mission but thats probably what it will turn out to be.  Galactica can barely hold it together as it is...a battle will probably finish her win or loose.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Perhaps, it will be a 1978 "Hand of God" tribute.  Starbuck and Apollo break in the Colony, and set some charges off to give Galactica some advantage, in the fight, then escape on that old raider.  Thus, the Admiral will let loose Galactica's nuclear arsenal.
Phasers?!?!?  We don't need no frakking phasers!

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
I think that we need to see a strong, glorious, but unexpected end.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Offline josh_88

Galactica is a tough ship as we've seen, but the rate that she is caving in on herself and falling apart, she's not gonna be able to take much of a beating, especially when they are already afraid to jump her because they don't know which one will actually kill her. I'd like to see an epic go out with a bang fight, but assuming cavil has at least two solid baseships in reality that's probably end of fight right at the start.  :shaking:

as bad as they've made the damage out to be I just don't see her having any real fight left in her, and it would be strange to see her make a strong stand last while because it wouldn't fit right. maybe thats just me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What bothers me is that they're offloading the munitions and Vipers.

How are we going to have one last crazy space battle without munitions or Vipers?

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

How are we going to have one last crazy space battle without munitions or Vipers?

Raiders and baseship?  :nervous:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Raiders and baseship?  :nervous:

Right, but they wouldn't commit those to a suicide mission.

Offline Snagger

But I'm wondering how they'll take out that massive structure, if that's what they'll end up doing. Considering galactica will "go out in style", I'm thinking it will be great. But how the hell is galactica going to get there, if its more than 12 jumps away?? Galactica is barely in shape for one jump. And the FTL will want to be scavenged for some civilian ship too.
12 jumps by Raptor, is probably less in the Galactica, but now that she has Cylon FTL and a Cylon hybrid to control her, she can probably jump there in very few moves.  There was the comment by one of the engineers that they had maybe as much as 9 jumps left in her... they can get to the Cylon colony, as long as they find out where it is.

As to how they destroy it - anyone want to guess that the new plot device of jumping within a ship or in too close proximity caused the spatial distortions to rip that ship apart?  My guess is that they do a jump right next to a critical system, like reactors or fuel tanks, of the colony.  Either that, or maybe they still have some of the virus from the sick Basestar and satellite from the earlier season?  Maybe there will be a mutiny in the colony against Cavil if the other Cylons find out how they have been played by him just so he could exact revenge on their creators?  Tthe rest of the skin jobs still seem pretty reverent about the five.

But I'm wondering how they'll take out that massive structure, if that's what they'll end up doing. Considering galactica will "go out in style", I'm thinking it will be great. But how the hell is galactica going to get there, if its more than 12 jumps away?? Galactica is barely in shape for one jump. And the FTL will want to be scavenged for some civilian ship too.
12 jumps by Raptor, is probably less in the Galactica, but now that she has Cylon FTL and a Cylon hybrid to control her, she can probably jump there in very few moves.  There was the comment by one of the engineers that they had maybe as much as 9 jumps left in her... they can get to the Cylon colony, as long as they find out where it is.

As to how they destroy it - anyone want to guess that the new plot device of jumping within a ship or in too close proximity caused the spatial distortions to rip that ship apart?  My guess is that they do a jump right next to a critical system, like reactors or fuel tanks, of the colony.  Either that, or maybe they still have some of the virus from the sick Basestar and satellite from the earlier season?  Maybe there will be a mutiny in the colony against Cavil if the other Cylons find out how they have been played by him just so he could exact revenge on their creators?  Tthe rest of the skin jobs still seem pretty reverent about the five.

I thought it was 5.