Author Topic: Caprica 1x05 "There is Another Sky" [Spoilers]  (Read 9070 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Caprica 1x05 "There is Another Sky" [Spoilers]
That and RoboCop.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Wolfy

This might acturally be my favourette episode so far. Also, I just hope a lot of people that havent watched Caprica so far just started watching from this episode, as to me atleast, it feels like the only episode which didn't need the previous episodes to totally understand it.

Whenever I think I've finally figured out how the war starts, sometimes somthing jumps in the way of that (Tamara, The god of V-World, for example). Although, some things seem to be going the way I expect, such as the Cylons may enter production soon enough.

The Tauron Funeral/Mourning song towards the end of the episode, is there any reason it fealt familliar? :S
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

The tune of the funeral song has been used as the tauron theme since the first episode, making it yet another instance of score music becoming source music in BSG. It's entirely possible that by the end of Caprica, the characters will all carry around radios and the entire score will be presented diegetically. :p

Offline Kurtz

The Tauron Funeral/Mourning song towards the end of the episode, is there any reason it fealt familliar? :S

This is a song you often can hear in BSG. I love this song.

Really nice episode. I liked when William fight the guy who insult him.  :D

Edit : Sorry, I didn't see your post David. =)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:15:51 pm by Kurtz »
I don't speak English very well. Sorry if I make some mistakes when I write :)

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
If you're into the show's music, check out Bear McCreary's Battlestar Blog.

Link may contain spoilers:

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

LordMelv you beet me to posting that link!But yeah you should check out the article about this episode.The translation of the song is on it.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I'm getting jaded in my old age...

So Tamara is clueless in virtual land (so none of my friends hang out here or my only friend was Zoe cause I was a tauron anti-tech loser)???

I must be on like 100 sites (can only can name 20 off the top of my head. but half of them are 3d sites the other half gaming)

Fine ignore that issue for now.

Zoe: so Dad tells her to rip off her arm. Why doesn't she use that voice synth and tell him to go Frak himself in front of his board? It sure would embarrass the hell out of him...

Wait, she BIT a dude she'd normally think was hot for touching her BUT rips her 'arm" off cause the dad she hates asked her to (unless he can actually ORDER her around still...)???

Right now all I care about is this, is ZOE a real intentional terrorist, or was she just another angst ridden emo rebel??? IF it was option#2 I don't need to see the rest of this series, let it die in fire.
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
So Tamara is clueless in virtual land (so none of my friends hang out here or my only friend was Zoe cause I was a tauron anti-tech loser)???

Holobands probably cost quite a bit.

Oh and AFAIK Tamara and Zoe never knew each other. Zoe certainly didn't recognise her.

Zoe: so Dad tells her to rip off her arm. Why doesn't she use that voice synth and tell him to go Frak himself in front of his board? It sure would embarrass the hell out of him...

And what do you think would happen if she did that?

1) Her dad would lose control of the company
2) She would probably be removed from the basement of his house and sent back to the lab, almost certainly under heavier security than she is under at the moment because the robot is quite clearly malfunctioning.
3) Even if Greystone was allowed to keep working on her without being in control of the company he'd suddenly spend a lot more time looking at the robot's code to try to figure out what went wrong. Bear in mind that Zoe doesn't want to be discovered so by rebelling she'd make it much harder to hide.
4) Worst case scenario, the company would can the entire Cylon project or her particular model. Zoe then spends eternity locked in a safe somewhere.

So why would embarrassing her dad be at all worth those risks?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Wolfy

So no-one finds out she's in the Cylon. She's a dead girl, in a robot and is trying to escape to Geminon, once it's obvious shes in there, or that the Cylons going wrong somehow, it will be infineatly harder than it already is to get off Caprica

Offline iamzack

I'm getting jaded in my old age...

I must be on like 100 sites (can only can name 20 off the top of my head. but half of them are 3d sites the other half gaming)

Wait, she BIT a dude she'd normally think was hot for touching her BUT rips her 'arm" off cause the dad she hates asked her to (unless he can actually ORDER her around still...)???

Right now all I care about is this, is ZOE a real intentional terrorist, or was she just another angst ridden emo rebel??? IF it was option#2 I don't need to see the rest of this series, let it die in fire.

1. Tamara seems like a Nice Girl(TM). If she has friends who have used the holoband stuff, they probably don't hang out in V-Club or New Cap City. She's probably never even heard of those places.

2. Zoe didn't bite that guy, she jerked her chin down.

3. Did you see the pilot? She didn't know Ben was gonna blow up the train.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yep. When they boarded that train, Zoe was quite sure that they would continue on to their destination.

It's clear to me that the Holoband is like Caprica's version of our MMORPGs. While everyone is aware of their existence, only comparatively few people actually spend a great deal of time there. Being oblivious to its intricacies is not as hard as one might expect.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Wolfy

It's clear to me that the Holoband is like Caprica's version of our MMORPGs. While everyone is aware of their existence, only comparatively few people actually spend a great deal of time there. Being oblivious to its intricacies is not as hard as one might expect.

Also, i'd say it's a bit like the Internet, only a few years ago people knew it existed, but not many people used it much. Obviously, over the last decade or so, Internet usage has expanded, but still.

But yes, if we worked on the MMORPG idea, I know World of Warcraft exists, i dont know much about it however, nor do I intend to find out. As such, i am someone who is oblivious about somthing, so people in Caprica can indeed not know much about the Virtual world   :)

I wonder if theyll ever show a freespace 2 style space fighter sim game for the holoband.New Cap City seems to be a GTA style mmo game.

Also people seem to be talking a lot about proto vipers.But what about proto raiders?Its possible that like the Cylons themselves the original basestars and raiders were also a creation of man and were designed by either graystone industries or some other company in order for the cylons to use in inter colonial wars.

Offline Wolfy

I would expec those fighters to be Capricas main fighter of that time, not necersairilly a Viper. I imagine Vipers and Battlestars used the best technology from any Colony rather than just 1.

As for the baseships and raiders... they COULD be fighters and cap ships from any of the other colonies. or yes, they may be designed for cylons specifically.  hope it's somthing that gets answered in the show :D

Offline tikey

• Not Batman
From Bear McCreary's blog:

So, they play Crimson Skies in New Cap

Offline Getter Robo G

"We can't make much more money off the holobands." Blah blah blah losing control cost more to protect their IP's ect...

Is their equivalent of Microsoft saying

"We can't make much more money of the internet, things are getting THAT BAD, we need to find the next great thing.. PERSONAL SLAVES!!!!" (Come here Asimo!)

That's the impression I got.

Holoband "addiction" is analog to "internet addiction".

So on that talk show "Caprica Tonight" it was like them blasting WOW for the decline of society. As I took it as Holoband addiction is more widespread than simple MMO use.

I believe Daniel made that clear with VCLUBS and Sex Clubs and "Human" sacrifices speech he got form that teen who gave him a tour inside. Funny how the man who basically created it all was so ignorant of what people were doing with his "creation".

Tragic really.

That moving Russian Roulette scene was just a piece of that particular MMO program features (wanna risk it, you can't get killed for real but you are banned from THAT game).

We don't know how many MMO's exist on the 12 worlds network. V world is the network as a WHOLE as stated by RDM in the interview.

That could be a HUGE chunk of young people.

And no, I did not watch episode 1 (or 2?) I came in later cause of bad timing and my hesitance to follow the story religiously due to lack of interest in the NBSG "prequel". (great the Colonies invented a form of Res tech) turned me off back then.

yeah it;s diff now, but just like NBSG itself it took me time to come around a bit.
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Actually it was more like how in real life here on Earth in the early 90s politicians were blasting video games because they were to violent.Thats how the ESRB was born.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
I don't really think that video games or the internet are analogous to heir holobands.

In a game, you can't do everything you can in the real world. With the holobands, they're just projecting their own bodies into a virtual world. They aren't limited by controls; they can do anything. Rape, sex, drugs, murder, slavery, suicide. All without consequence.
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Getter Robo G

Yeah..... :nervous:

And just for a moment don't you think that the cases of Transferal (if you are familiar with the concept) would be higher for such a level of "immersion"?

Their holobands ar so much more in depth than the simpl RTS's I play or MMO's like Anarchy or DD online. Even with Oblivion FP view it's not ME doing those things on that scale.

Actually, remember that movie (I never saw) about something happening in 1999 and that tech can let you EXPERIENCE other people's memories. (which is a slight rip off of Brainstorm, but what the hell).

SO, you can Do drugs (and OD?) with out dying?, rape and murder without going to jail, ect...

How did that all work out with that society I wonder?

Well their holobands seem to be a cross between the Matrix and the holodeck from Star Trek.There a lot like a wearable holodeck rather than a virtual world inside a room.Plus if you also started as a fan of star trek before BSG like I did than you should remember all those holodeck accident episodes with characters becoming self aware.Like Tamara and Zoe.

Plus I also hope that within the next 50 years we have something almost exactly like the holoband.Although if we ever make a holoband there is the real life danger of the creation of our own cylons.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:17:08 pm by FreespacePilot2010 »