Author Topic: A few new effects implemented by...  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
A few new effects implemented by...
A few new effects implemented by the capable hands of the Source Code Project team make the game a LOT better looking.The most important one is of course the specular mapping. This is the first REALY NOTICBLE enhancement to the FS graphics engine so far. Oh, one tiny little thing, not sure if it can be dealt with though... Because of the vertex shading, the moment one of the
vertices of a highlighted polygon moves off screen, the engine stops drawing the highlight for the entire poly, this is particuarly noticeable of very bright highlighted sections of ships. Anyway, it's only a tiny thing, but I fear it could become annoying when you are flying close to a ship and only 5 or 6 polys are filling your view.

Another improvement are engine trails (a Freelancer-like effect). The good: it really makes things look fast! And the engine clipping is gone, so that you can't see the engines through the sides of the ship anymore! The bad: The trails are still super long on some capships even if they aren't moving. Not too much of a problem but it can look funny. On the other hand: I am sure this issue will be solved (if it is not already) by adding trails scaling.

About the current progress: as always a lot of new ships have been added: Constitution-class (transport), Waterloo-class, Midway-class, Khalaf, Korlarh and Olympus Starbase, just to name few.

I've uploaded two screenshots, one of which shows the Morningstar with the other without specular mapping.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
and here is the second file...

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Tres chic! :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
nice ships
I hate My signature!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Are you guys doing complex custom spec maps? Or just whiting out the cockpit and leaving the rest grey?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Lynx

We do complex custom shine maps for each ship; since most Wing Commander ships are painted in bright colors(mostly various shades of blue, green, red, grey, and a copperish metal tone for the Kilrathi), it would be wrong if we did just greyscale shinemaps because the grey ones make our colorful ships look like crap, especially the Kilrathi ships. In most cases, I take the original texture and make it just less bright to preserve the right color for the shine effect.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
*bump*

:thumbup: :yes:

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Thats an awesome Morningstar model.  I hope you guys have excellent balanced tables to back these very good looking ships up!  I always liked the Morningstar...the Mace nuke was alot of fun :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Well we are working on the balacing..its quite hard work you know, but I think we are nearly finished with that.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
indeed, my latest tables are not going to be changed... I think :D

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Well we have still this little rocket problem I think...maybe its solved when the shields on all ships get in there right place...found out that on some parts of the ships where outside the shield..whats realy bad.

Btw does the rockets have an explosion radius that makes damage?
If yes maybe its set to high, cause even missiles that hit a full shield do damage.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
1. they do not do full damage
2. missiles are supposed to do a lot of damage
3. a Vindicator for example can survive two missile hits. That corresponds with WC universe.
4. And finally, you are not a superman. I would not suggest to attack a wing of Jalthis alone...

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
@ pnt 4

Not? I allways thought that ^_^

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
/me sploodges

mmm wing commander in the fs open 3.6 engine -- WITH MULTIPLAYER
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Jup there will be multiplayer stuff...thinking of Coop Storyline.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Tolwyn
indeed, my latest tables are not going to be changed... I think :D

Thats what you think.  TBP tables changed a million times before I was somewhat happy with them.  If I were still really involved over there, I'm sure I would have changed them again.

You guys do have a game to help although.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
that is exactly my point... and in fact my tbles have been changed a lot of times... everyone seems to be happy with them now :D

-WC Saga's beta tester