Author Topic: God...Earth is HUGE  (Read 9683 times)

so anyway, i was toying around with inferno in FRED. i found there was a "earth" model, and so i placed it, and saw nothing. i moved it around a bit, and somehow i got it into view (by moving it however million miles away...). turns out when i placed it infront of me, i was inside it since it was a hollow model. i'm trying to do that again for a background for a later mission i might make. any sugestions?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

You want to make a mission inside the Earth model?  :confused:

AFAIK, the Earth model was put in merely to skybox a "3-D" planet as a background, not to be put into the mission proper.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

i know. thats what i'm trying to do, to place it so far away that is looks like a background. but it's so friggin' huge that i can't do that...
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
i know. thats what i'm trying to do, to place it so far away that is looks like a background. but it's so friggin' huge that i can't do that...

Why don't you open up the final Inferno mission in FRED and see how those guys did it.   (I think the final battle is above earth???? I could be wrong though????   :confused: :nervous: :sigh: )
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

how the hell am i supposed to do that? all i got are a couple .vp files and in the missions folder in my infr1 folder it's just a bunch of backups that arn't .fs2 files
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
how the hell am i supposed to do that? all i got are a couple .vp files and in the missions folder in my infr1 folder it's just a bunch of backups that arn't .fs2 files

Use VPview or VPview 2.0 from Karajorma's FAQ site to extract the mission files from the VP's

Linky

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Zoom in on the model. Then move it to the side. Keep zooming in and moving it, etc.

Mission inside the Earth model would be interesting... I.E. a new race or something that strip-mines planets from the inside out... or something sweet like that.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think it would be interesting if there was a Terran mining operation in a small fringe planet, like Aeous Affair. Then you would fly through and stuff.

Mission inside the Earth model would be interesting... I.E. a new race or something that strip-mines planets from the inside out... or something sweet like that.

that would be cool, but heres the thing with space sims: all the models are completly hollow, having only a very thin layer of pixels (or whatever) as the walls. now these pixels are one-way viewed, meening you can only see them from outside the model. if you go inside, you will see literally nothing but the edges of the polygons.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Use VPview or VPview 2.0 from Karajorma's FAQ site to extract the mission files from the VP's

Linky

...so i choose one of these? cause they don't work...(can't create image during installation, so the whole thing just shuts down)
http://www.descent-network.com/cgi-bin/descman.cgi?module=vpview

jsut problem after problem with me... :(
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
*Shrugs*

Works fine for me?? :confused:

:nervous:

Anyone got any ideas?

Offline Snail

• SC 5

that would be cool, but heres the thing with space sims: all the models are completly hollow, having only a very thin layer of pixels (or whatever) as the walls. now these pixels are one-way viewed, meening you can only see them from outside the model. if you go inside, you will see literally nothing but the edges of the polygons.

Well it would be stupid to have a mission inside the earth.pof anyway, it should use an Earth thing with caverns. Plus, skyboxes are transparent so you would just see mirrored versions of the maps.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Disable "show model" and "show wireframe".  Earth should appear as a green dot.  Then you can place the dot wherever you want.

the dot only meens the center of the model so it aint much help
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's not like it becomes smaller or anything. :p

it's odd, last time i tried it i got to see the whole, model, but i put is 10000000+ away from the center and i see nothing. even when i opened up the last inferno level. (of course i do have show model and stuff turned on)
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Dysko

"Show model" only enables you to see the cockpit of your fighter ingame.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

by "show model" i ment in FRED, under the "View" tab
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

it's odd, last time i tried it i got to see the whole, model, but i put is 10000000+ away from the center and i see nothing. even when i opened up the last inferno level. (of course i do have show model and stuff turned on)

The Earth model appears in the second-to-last R1 level, called Nemesis. But I don't think you'll see it there either. I don't believe skyboxes appear as physical models...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"