Author Topic: 4X Game question  (Read 7352 times)

Back in the day, I played MOO many days and nights, smashes ships and grinding ground troops into dust. Then I quit. After a while, I picked up MOO2, which is heraldy by many as the best of the series. I think I played about two games, then I thought "wow, this sucks, let's quit". The thing about MOO2 which pissed me off was the tech progression. In MOO1 you could build a fleet of ****ty ships and fight for a while, then you could build a fleet of medium ships and fight for a while. Tech took time. In MOO2, you're barely out the gate and it's already high tech everywhere.

So my question is, is there a game that someone would recommend, turn based 4X that has a slower tech progression like MOO1?

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
In a way, Haegemonia (I think it was published as Hagemonia in USA). But it's a 4X RealTime Game.

Good 4X with lots of customisation including tech speed is Alpha Centauri by Sid Meier, but it's planetside, so maybe not exactly what you want.

There are more possibilities like Galactic Empire or (I dislike it) Sword of the Stars but I am not sure when compared to the awesomeness of Master of Orion.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

In a way, Haegemonia (I think it was published as Hagemonia in USA). But it's a 4X RealTime Game.

Good 4X with lots of customisation including tech speed is Alpha Centauri by Sid Meier, but it's planetside, so maybe not exactly what you want.

Yeah, I have Alpha Centauri but I couldn't stand it. I wasn't interested in the background so never go into it.
       Incidentally, I just installed MOO1 from 3.5 floppies onto my computer. Now lets see if I can get it to work in XP

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Dosbox and it works perfect.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
You could give Galactic Civilizations II a shot. And by giving it a shot, I mean the demo.

Dosbox and it works perfect.

Ah yeah, so it does. First game with dosbox where I didn't have to piss around trying to get it to work.
     Damn Meklons got elected already and now I have to take everyone on. Not that anyone's attacking me expect the bugs!

You could give Galactic Civilizations II a shot. And by giving it a shot, I mean the demo.

Yeah I always see it at EB Games. But never picked it up. Maybe I'll have a look for the demo.
     Though I'm probably in enough 4X games already, since I'm also playing VGA Planets right now. Getting my Fascist butt kicked by the Cyborgs

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Pax Imperia, though it's not turn based, and I can't get the online play working for the life of me. You'll have to acquire it from "questionable" means, though, unless you manage to find it on eBay.

Pax Imperia? Isn't that game like 15 years old? I remember seeing some AD in an old game magazine for a game with a similar name . . . ad showed some command chick walking through a newly conquered world or somesuch. Though maybe I'm thinking of a different Pax game.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Pax imperia 2 is the real time one. If you're liking moo1, you'll love sword of the stars.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Space Empires IV

It has a huge and I mean HUGE tech tree. It's literally impossible to complete it and still have credible oposition in the game. And that's by dedicating everything you have to research.

The sequel didn't have as much impact on me since they've changed many things that weren't broken and unless there was a patch that magically changed everything, I'd go with the former title.

P.S.
Actually, huge doesn't fully do justice to how mind-bogglingly big the tech tree is. Imagine the largest tech tree you've seen in a game, triple that, cube it and just keep going.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:22:21 pm by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

P.S.
Actually, huge doesn't fully do justice to how mind-bogglingly big the tech tree is. Imagine the largest tech tree you've seen in a game, triple that, cube it and just keep going.

So like an Eve skill list size? haha.

Anyway, cool, space empires IV and Sword of the Stars. And maybe Pax. I'll try to look out for them when I have a chance. MOO is feeling a little dated . . . but oh well. I'll keep chugging

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Pax Imperia? Isn't that game like 15 years old? I remember seeing some AD in an old game magazine for a game with a similar name . . . ad showed some command chick walking through a newly conquered world or somesuch. Though maybe I'm thinking of a different Pax game.

Pax Imperia Eminent Domain is Pax 2, and is the one i'm refering to. And, lesse... 11 years old.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
SWORD OF THE STARS.

Tactics and skill trump high tech. I managed to defeat fleets of enemy ships that had better tech than me and were larger than my fleet.
Plus, you can set up a economy and research efficiency for a game (or a individual player). So if you like slow teching you can set it to 50% and enjoy.

Not to mention that battles are beatuful 3D with physics:

for mhoar eye candy:
http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4878&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=465
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Ick. It looks like (for the most part) someone took FS weapondry, blurred it, and then stuck it into something else.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
SWORD OF THE STARS.

**UBER-SNIP**

I tried the demo for that, and it bothered the Hell out of me.

If you run the battles automatically, no matter the enemy's strength, you will be raped.

If you run the battles manually, there will always be one [many expletives seriously removed] damned ship that retreats beyond your firing range (at an unbelievable speed), thus leaving a ship in your territory for sensory purposes, among other things.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Forget the demo. SOTS already had 2 expansion, each bringing in a LOT Of new stuff and many, many changes.

The one ship running way was probably the command ship. Everybody was doing it (playesr too), so the AI was smart enough to keep the command ship out of harms way too. It's simple enough to counter.
A little hint -- autoresolve uses close range for battle calculations - in other words, if you have ships with strong close combat weapons, you stand much better chahges in autoresolve. Autoresolve also uses your reinforcement list and current fleet setup, so it can f*** you up if you're not careful (not surprising).

That said, the expansions changed much. Reinforcements spawn near the command ship now, so neither the player nor the AI will run away with it anymore.
Trade and diplomacy both got huge boosts. A new research tree was added (Xenotech), 2 new races, drones, lots of new sections, techs and weapons and a whole load of improvements and modifications.

Seriously, SOTS is a game that grows with each PATCH (seriously, the devs' keep improving it and cramming the patches with lots of stuff, so every patch is greeted as a mini-expansuion initself)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

If you run the battles automatically, no matter the enemy's strength, you will be raped.

That's what annoyed me about Star Wars Rebellion. Playing out the battles was an utter waste of time. Rather you had to auto-resolve it to actually do anything. Unless I was somehow doing something wrong.

Sins of a Solar Empire. 'nuff said.