Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 614013 times)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Re: What are you playing right now?
Finished Red Faction 2. The first one was awful, the second was thankfully better but stil has many flaws. The difficulty is absurd, you get swarmed by an army on later levels, the story could have been better and the ending is just bad.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Finished Red Faction 2. The first one was awful, the second was thankfully better but stil has many flaws. The difficulty is absurd, you get swarmed by an army on later levels, the story could have been better and the ending is just bad.
Heh, I pretty much have the exact opposite opinion.  I found the first entertaining, albeit rather straightforward, but the second felt like kind of a goofy mess.

SPIDERS!  :shaking:

My impression so far is that System Shock 2 is pretty much Bioshock if it were actually challenging (and had lesser graphics). I've heard of scarce resources but this is unbelievable. Every ammo pack is precious, nanites seem plentiful but are gone in seconds whenever really useful, and Cybernetic Modules are the Holy ****ing Grail!

I am loving this! It's so rare a game manages to make me play so conservatively at all times. It really makes you feel like you have to be making the full use of all your abilities to survive, rather than always having some easy out to fall back on in an emergency. Fantastic!
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline newman

Heh, I pretty much have the exact opposite opinion.  I found the first entertaining, albeit rather straightforward, but the second felt like kind of a goofy mess.

Seconded.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Also since BT traces its roots to the 80s I've been putting together an 80s style playlist for matches.  Some 80s action movie osts, a bit of Jan Hammer, the 80s style ME1 tracks.  Man stomping across the battlefield to the Terminator Theme is awesome.

Play... list? Is that some sort of automatic-cassette-changing device for your boom box?

Sure let me explain, my unit was part of an Op that secured an old Star Leaque cache and one of the interesting pieces of recovered LosTech was a device that allows me to stream music off the HPG network and play it in my mech.  Pretty crazy right?  Beats having to make mix tapes hollow.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

Yeah, the second has a goofy feeling to it, just look at Sopov. As for the first, I'll never forgive the stealth mission with the suit.

My impression so far is that System Shock 2 is pretty much Bioshock if it were actually challenging (and had lesser graphics). I've heard of scarce resources but this is unbelievable. Every ammo pack is precious, nanites seem plentiful but are gone in seconds whenever really useful, and Cybernetic Modules are the Holy ****ing Grail!

I am loving this! It's so rare a game manages to make me play so conservatively at all times. It really makes you feel like you have to be making the full use of all your abilities to survive, rather than always having some easy out to fall back on in an emergency. Fantastic!

Are you using the mods that enhance it? SS2 pretty much has its own FSO.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:29:31 am by Sarafan »

StarSlayer, you should probably try and add some Blood Dragon music to your list when it releases.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
StarSlayer, you should probably try and add some Blood Dragon music to your list when it releases.

Yep that's going to be in the queue soon as I can get it. :D

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

IMHO, System Shock 2 is quite easily among the, if not THE, best game(s) ever made.

Try it on Impossible sometime.  I say "try" because it's unlikely you'll make it very far at all, particularly if PsyOps.  The first playtrhough I ever attempted (Normal difficulty) was so bloody difficult I had to go into the INI files and turn off weapon degradation and turn down the monster respawns (they cannot be completely disabled) because I barely managed 10 minutes of gameplay.  I have since finished the untweaked game on Hard, but only after learning the core mechanics in 3 earlier playthroughs.

That said, wonderful, wonderful game.  It and Deus Ex revolutionized first-person gameplay.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

My only real problem with System Shock 2 so far is that hacking is chance-based. I hate chance-based game mechanics.

Hacking in the first game was far superior: either some logic puzzles or flying around in Cyberspace, which was a lot of fun. The point though was that if you failed, it was your own damn fault, not just the RNG being a dick.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm playing Ace Combat 5. I never finished it the first time, and I accidentally wiped my save game the other day so I have to do it all again!

It's either that or Hawken, GalCiv2 or Battlefield 2.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm playing Ace Combat 5. I never finished it the first time, and I accidentally wiped my save game the other day so I have to do it all again!

I so hope that the PCSX2 team can get that game running properly. Ever since my PS2 died, I've been missing my AC.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Currently brainstorming with another guy in my training company over a tabletop implementation of some kind of Halo game.  Good times to be had making the game, hopefully good times to be had playing the game in subsequent weekends.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Currently brainstorming with another guy in my training company over a tabletop implementation of some kind of Halo game.  Good times to be had making the game, hopefully good times to be had playing the game in subsequent weekends.

strategy or rpg?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter

I got the 3DS Ace Combat (Assault Horizon Legacy) and I've really enjoyed playing it. That series is one of the reasons I'm deliberating getting a pre-owned PS2 so I can try some older games.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

See this. Less Halo and more Quake, but insanely fun nonetheless.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
The craigslist rental housing game, where posters try to find the best tenant for their apartment/home, viewers try to find the best housing arrangement, scammers try to scam, and weirdos try to do unpredictable weird stuff. If you're using craigslist to look for rental housing and you don't realize it's a game, then arguably you're already losing. :p

The spiders in SS2 are terrifying, and I'm not in the least bit arachnophobic IRL.

There are a bunch of good mods to upgrade the graphics. Also a good spoiler-free guide if you haven't seen it yet.

EDIT:
My only real problem with System Shock 2 so far is that hacking is chance-based. I hate chance-based game mechanics.

Hacking in the first game was far superior: either some logic puzzles or flying around in Cyberspace, which was a lot of fun. The point though was that if you failed, it was your own damn fault, not just the RNG being a dick.
I liked the chance-based hacking etc., although I was generally risk averse. If things looked iffy, I usually reattempted the hack rather than continue.

It's probably less of an issue if the RNG is something high-quality like the Mersenne twister, but I have no idea what SS2 uses. It might just be something from the C standard library.

EDIT 2: That SS2 and Deus Ex still blow people away today just shows how the high system requirements of many recent games are not strictly necessary to have a superb game. The fundamentals -- story, gameplay, writing, sound, VA, level design, etc. -- still matter above all else. (Granted, SS2/DX might well have been demanding when they were released.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:03:43 am by jg18 »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

strategy or rpg?

RPG.  It's sort of ended up fairly generic in implementation, so we might end up using it for anything from Halo to Starship Troopers to I-don't-know-what.

It's really just a project to mess around and have fun on the weekends.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
cool, bet you could do some fast paced stuff with a Halo game
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I think I managed a Highland Burial in my 732.  I was in a scrap with a Stalker and a Jenner using my JJs to throw off the Stalker's aim.  Eventually I landed on the Stalker and suddenly found myself fighting only the JR7 who decided to book it.  I couldn't figure out were the Stalker went since I didn't recall killing him with a barrage and there was no way he was fast enough to run away.