Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 618100 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: What are you playing right now?
Finally decided to play the full version of Valdis Story: Abyssal City (after playing an incomplete version as a kickstarter backer). I am having SO MUCH FUN. It scratches much more of the metroidvania itch than Dust: An Elysian Tail did (although Dust was definitely prettier, it was still rather linear). Throw in the variety of equipment (all functionally different, rather than just the usual metroidvania style of having 500 pieces of armor with slight stat changes), and the sheer variety of combos you can pull off, and I'm having the time of my life even when I'm completely lost (because I get to practice my combo skills on the hapless enemies in my path). Then there's the feeling you get when you finally pull off that tricky bit of platforming to get through a door before it closes so you can get that golden chest...

If you're a fan of metroidvania games at all, give Valdis Story: Abyssal City a look.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lorric

Offline crizza

Total War: Rome 2 is for sale 25% off.
Is it worth buying or still suffering game crashes like earlier Total War games?

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
can't decide if i should do a replay of Twilight Princess or restart/finish Skyward Sword first. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Black-Devil

• Space Fighter
Only old Stuff atm like DaoC and Freespace 2 and the Dawn of War II series hoping to finish it this time
Do not attack Alpha ONE...

Total War: Rome 2 is for sale 25% off.
Is it worth buying or still suffering game crashes like earlier Total War games?

At least wait for a better sale. Winter sale is coming...

Offline Lorric

And they say it's bugged like all the others are when they first arrive.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I played Two Worlds on xbox for a sum total of 3 minutes before unplugging the thing from the mains. I've been sodding about with the AoT game, and mulling over if I should install Mechwarrior 4 or not.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
finally got round to buying and installing ep1-2 for HL2.  now joining the legion frustrated at the lack of an ep3.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
I played Two Worlds on xbox for a sum total of 3 minutes before unplugging the thing from the mains. I've been sodding about with the AoT game, and mulling over if I should install Mechwarrior 4 or not.

Yes yes yes yes yes.

It's unfortunate that MekTek lost their license, but it's still an incredible game. MechWarrior 3 is awesome too, but apparently you need to perform some serious computing gymnastics to get it to run properly on Windows 7 and 8.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Yes yes yes yes yes.

It's unfortunate that MekTek lost their license, but it's still an incredible game. MechWarrior 3 is awesome too, but apparently you need to perform some serious computing gymnastics to get it to run properly on Windows 7 and 8.
I don't know about "incredible" (in this day and age, when we have MW:LL for instance), but it is certainly fun. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find my installation downloads for the MW4:Mercs Free Release for some time... it's still installed on this compy, but if I ever want to reinstall, I'm SOL.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline LHN91

Yes yes yes yes yes.

XP is a royal pain too for that matter. Mech 3 works best with older nVidia cards, they seem to support the terrible version of DirectX 6.1 that Mech 3 uses. Either way, expect to be switching compatibility modes and having missions crash half-way through every 2-4 missions.

...despite that I've played through the whole game on every computer I've owned, from a Pentium 233 with 95 and a 2MB graphics card, up to a quad-core Windows 7 machine where I had to use the on-board graphics as the Radeon I had installed refused to cooperate. Mech 3 was one of the first games I ever bought with my own money, and it's still one of my favourite games.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Finished the integrated Missing Link DLC in the Director's Cut of Human Revolution under "Factory Zero" conditions.  IE not upgrading Augs or using weapons.  Of course now that I got the "cheevo" I think I'll go back and play it again so I don't loose my inventory.  I didn't upgrade all my weapons just to leave them on some Bell Tower scow.  Plus I want to hack all those PCs.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Finished the integrated Missing Link DLC in the Director's Cut of Human Revolution under "Factory Zero" conditions.  IE not upgrading Augs or using weapons.  Of course now that I got the "cheevo" I think I'll go back and play it again so I don't loose my inventory.  I didn't upgrade all my weapons just to leave them on some Bell Tower scow.  Plus I want to hack all those PCs.

I seem to recall the original version of it allowed you to pick up weapons (though not self-upgrades) as long as you didn't use them.  I thought.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Without spending Piraxis points on upgrading my carry capacity I would have had to dump a good chunk of my items.  So I just played through without picking anything up but candy bars, protein jugs, software and booze.  It'll be easy going through again now that I'm using augs and have all my weapons, plus now I can read everyone's email and farm that extra XP :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Just started in on Just Cause.  While it's apparently not quite as zany as its sequel, I've managed to have some fun shenanigans so far.  The sheer size of the game world is pretty damn impressive, too.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Just started in on Just Cause.  While it's apparently not quite as zany as its sequel, I've managed to have some fun shenanigans so far.  The sheer size of the game world is pretty damn impressive, too.

I love the Just Cause games. One of the franchises that realizes players mostly want to **** around and blow up ALL the things in a game with a huge world and lots of stuff to blow up. Something that GTAIV completely forgot. Nope, sorry, you can't blow things up right now, you have to go bowling with your annoying cousin.

So, I'm in the middle of building a racing sim cockpit because it's something I've always wanted to do. Been playing a lot of rFactor, albeit with a crappy wheel, to get used to driving cars again. rFactor is awesome.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
In the defense of GTA IV, it didn't forget it. You can afterall, blow up your cousin

Still playing GTA Online (stimulus package was nice, but I already had 1.7 million) with some breaks with Terraria and Spiral Knights

Terraria. Because why not
"No"

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Been playing a cool Doom II wad called Equinox. Probably my favorite wad at the moment.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
IL-2 Sturmovik UE. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]