Author Topic: Operation Templar Mission 03 - Any tipps?  (Read 3037 times)

Operation Templar Mission 03 - Any tipps?
To me the mission seems highly unbalanced and I'm already playing it inside FSPort 3.3 (so the balanced version) and on easy difficulty. I managed to get the freigthers disabled in time and I almost managed to save both Zeta 1 and 2. #2 got hit by a bomb from my own bombers and was lost imediately.

Still, Zeta 1 made it and jumped out. So far, so good. When I'm at this point of the mission most of my wingmen are gone. Then I get the order:

"Destroy every enemy ship left in the are"  Say what? :eek2:

A destroyer (I'm flying a Valkyrie), two fresh wings of enemies and stuff. A minute later I'm alone, shot to pieces and cursing about the missin design! :(

Any tipps?
GODzilla™

Re: Operation Templar Mission 03 - Any tipps?
Tried giving my wing all Hercules...not working. Two of them die within 30 seconds of the mission. It's all too cramped in a too tight space there. It's simply carnage. What I can do to make my wingmen smarter? Nothing. I also can't micromanage every single ship.

It is rigged to blow from the start imho. Three wings against at least six wings, two freigthers, a cruiser and a destroyer and all within spitting distance to the destroyer, so everyone is getting rained on by rockets and laser fire all the time. With Zeta 1 and 2 arriving at the scene, the mission designer actually jumps in two target dummies, that's what they are.

Whoever balanced this did a really bad job. Sorry, no offence meant, but that's just my impression.

I think I going to trash this campaign and jump straight to FS2. No reason to get worked up about this over and over again. :(
GODzilla™

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Just double-check to make sure you really are playing the single-player version.  Did the very first mission in the campaign have a command briefing?

Yes it did. I already erased my pilot for that campaign. I get easily frustrated and then tend to dismiss the whole game. I wouldn't want that. ^^

I like to add that hopefully I did not anger the person who actually set up the balancing. Yes I admit, it might be actually me being that bad. Anyway...it's only 4 missions, two of which I played, so it's not a big deal.

Plus I had TONS of fun with the original FS-campaign (fsport 3.3) and Silent Threat Reborn. Really, those were a blast!

Onward to Freespace 2, finally...BEAM WEAPONS.  :D
GODzilla™

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
But wait!  What about Shrouding the Light? :nervous:

Mhm? Is it part of FSPort? Guess I'll ask the wikia...

/edit: Okay...this looks a bit dated:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,26961.0.html

Is it working with the latest mediavps and stuff?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:59:33 pm by GODzilla »
GODzilla™

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's not officially part of FSPort, but it should work.  The version on FSMods might be more recent than the one in that thread.

Yes, I got the version from FSMods running. Had to correct some entries in the mod.ini (spelling wrong "secondrylist" --> "secondarylist"; added "fsport-mediavps"; changed "mediavps" --> "mediavps_3612"). I also had to make sure fsport-mediavps is first in the list, otherwise some models rendered with their old low-poly viariants.

So, all set up, had a quick look...intriguing. :wtf: Totally different start. And I'm a vasudan, flying vasudan ships. Intriguing indeed!  :yes:

Thanks for sending me into the right direction. :)
GODzilla™

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yes, I got the version from FSMods running. Had to correct some entries in the mod.ini (spelling wrong "secondrylist" --> "secondarylist";
It's not a wrong spelling per se. It's a spelling that was the only supported one until the "correct" spelling was implemented on top of it. Both will work.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

I see. 2335 ¾ - The Spelling Rebellion. :D
GODzilla™

I'm 9 missions in "Shrouding the Light" and so far it has been SO MUCH BETTER than "Operation Templar", unbelievable!

In comparison OT feels like a 4-mission-shoot-em-up were they just upped the difficulty to "over 9000".  :banghead:  :D Where STL features interesting dialogues and diversiefied missions.  :yes:

BTW: I almost gave up on the latest mission, "The Great Hunt", because I failed it over and over again. But in the end I realized that I was too far stuck in the classical "seek & destroy" style. The key was to hold oneself back, stay with the main force and follow the orders as they're given and not before. ^^ Turned out to be the best mission as of yet.  :nod:
GODzilla™