Author Topic: Adversary 1.0 + checkpoints beta  (Read 5936 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Adversary 1.0 + checkpoints beta
 :nervous:

Seriously, this looks great. Did I miss something entirely? Granted, I am not visiting these forums that often anymore but for me, this comes out of nowhere.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Re: Where did this come from?
Everyone's as surprised as you are. The first post about it was the hosting request, and I think just before that the only sign this existed was the sudden appearance of a "Total Conversion Adversary released" notification on the HLP Discord.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

I've played up to the 2nd mission so far, and I have to say this has been very well done!  I'm definitely enjoying it.

Where did you guys come from?  Is this completely separate from Diaspora?
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline adversarygame

• adversarygame
:nervous:

Seriously, this looks great. Did I miss something entirely? Granted, I am not visiting these forums that often anymore but for me, this comes out of nowhere.

Thanks. There was no news posted during development before release.

I've played up to the 2nd mission so far, and I have to say this has been very well done!  I'm definitely enjoying it.

Where did you guys come from?  Is this completely separate from Diaspora?

Adversary is a separate game, not a Diaspora sequel.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I am seriously loving this. The production quality is amazing, the voice work is professional.  I would be more than happy to pay for this and it does look like a paid tripple A game. i had no idea another BSG mod was in the works. Top notch work
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Insanely high production quality, so high that the use of the STOP font on the mainhall - which I normally love as a nostalgic nod to FS2! - actually jumps out. I know I'm nitpicking but that's what this level of production quality leaves you with!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:31:47 pm by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The Vertigo zoom on the jump is pure class. I don't remember if Diaspora had that too but whatever, it's a great touch.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This game needs a better anti-aliasing solution so bad. :( The assets and art are gorgeous but the z-fighting and flickering kills the next-gen illusion.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If I were you I would've been sorely tempted to put a sacrifical freighter in that first group, just so they could eat a jump failure and we'd get to see what a Cylon nuke looked like. But maybe that'd be spoiling the treats.

I really like the bright flashbulb effect when missiles go off, it's very stark and BSG (and physically accurate aiui).

Offline adversarygame

• adversarygame
I am seriously loving this. The production quality is amazing, the voice work is professional.  I would be more than happy to pay for this and it does look like a paid tripple A game. i had no idea another BSG mod was in the works. Top notch work

Great, glad you like it.

If I were you I would've been sorely tempted to put a sacrifical freighter in that first group, just so they could eat a jump failure and we'd get to see what a Cylon nuke looked like. But maybe that'd be spoiling the treats.

It's funny that you should say that because originally there was a sacrificial ship.
Unfortunately it didn't make it into the final cut.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Is there any footage of this anywhere?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The nav computer reboot on Mission 2 seems to be tied to killing raiders, not time. Unfortunately I had no boolets so I was just lefting dogfighting impotently until I died :(

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Combat in this is so satisfying!

However the attritive hull damage gets frustrating given how many raiders you have to take on alone. And the lack of a checkpoint after the long tedious mine destruction in Mission 3 is harsh!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I want to continue to love this but dying to a bunch of unavoidable chip damage at the end of a reaaaaally looooong mission with a bunch of unskippable scripted sequences sucks. Checkpoints! It would be really easy to have a checkpoint after every FTL jump.

Only ended up doing Mission 3 by cheating to destroy all the mines (because it was so tedious killing them all manually every time I died and restarted). Now thinking about the same on Mission 4, takes so long just to get to the actual fight.

Offline adversarygame

• adversarygame

Only ended up doing Mission 3 by cheating to destroy all the mines (because it was so tedious killing them all manually every time I died and restarted).

Recommended difficulty level is "Normal".
Destroying the minefield may seem somewhat repetitive if you die frequently, but you do have the option of time compression to speed things up.

Checkpoints! It would be really easy to have a checkpoint after every FTL jump.

If I added checkpoints it would certainly make things easier for you, but it would also remove any sense of accomplishment you may have after completing a mission at it's intended difficulty level.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I think we have a philosophical disagreement there. I don't get any added sense of achievement by sitting through a few scripted sequences, pressing alt-N a couple times, and then pressing 1 (no matter how great the presentation was the first time). I already know I can do those things, so there's no achievement in doing them again.

I get a sense of achievement from actually overcoming the hard part (the combat), and when I fail at it I want to get right back to it. Knowing that I need to sit through a bunch of easy but time-consuming mission to get back to the hard part discourages me from trying.

In a sense, once you've done it once, all the mission 4 content before the Guardian battle is just a load screen. I think you can agree nobody enjoys a five minute load screen.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
This.

I agree with Battuta in that checkpoints would make things a bit nicer, but for a TC this beautiful? I'm willing to slog it out a bit. Well done.

If the player is having to use time compression -- as I frequently did in Adversary when replaying a mission -- you need to add checkpoints. It's as simple as that. Doing otherwise is just bad design. If you aren't aware, checkpoints that save the player's health have been a solved problem for around a decade.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Adversary 1.0 + checkpoints beta
While we wait to hear back from the mod creator (please reach out!) I've ****ed together some checkpoints in Mission 3 and Mission 4. I've also restored the missions to their original state with the full "intended" presentation. This is an ALPHA of a MOD OF A MOD, not an official release of any kind.

Extract the attached data folder into your Adversary 1.0.9 directory. You should end up with something like FreeSpaceOpen/Adversary/Adversary-1.0.9/data with a bunch of subfolders. REMEMBER THAT YOU PUT THIS THERE because it could cause problems in the future if you don't clean it up.

This will NOT restore the voice acting associated with the lines cut in 1.0.9. That can be done later. The lines themselves will still play.

Let me know if any of you can beat this even WITH checkpoints, it's ball bustingly hard.

If the creator reads this and wants it taken down please let me know! I have uploaded this as a forums attachment only to guarantee that it will not be durable.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline adversarygame

• adversarygame
Re: Adversary 1.0 + checkpoints beta
Hi,
If you would like to send your mod attachment to me via PM we can discuss it further.