Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 119626 times)

Offline Luis Dias

If I recall correctly no one in ME2 speaks about "DNA" as the thing being contained in the "goo".

Now to your assertion that "goo" can't contain "memory", it's kinda ironic since dna computers were found to work some years ago, let alone by super sentient billion years old species. But I'm sure that you will provide evidence for "goo" being unable to carry over "memory". A mathematical proof, no less, is what I'm expecting.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What if the goo is actually a mass of nanomachines that store the macrostructure of whatever they've dissembled? In other words, a form of mind upload?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

IOW, it could be massively effective at transmitting all kinds of information.

But hey, don't anyone stop us from saying "POOOP"

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
If you're claiming the story and writing are excellent, maybe you'd want to substantiate that?

Did I say that?  No, I was just trying to keep you from spouting unsupported bull****.

You brought the claim, you substantiate it.  Tell us, in detail, if possible, how it's stupid beyond "I don't like it."

Because memory is not stored in the DNA or in meleted goo.

It's not memories, unless I'm horribly mistaken on the subject.  Take a human, damn near any human, and put them in a location where it is at least possible to survive.  Now do it in a hundred thousand other locations with a million other humans.  How much you wanna bet that most of them will find similar ways to live (provided they do so)?  That's the essence of the human species.  Adaptability.  Diversity.  If it's present in all (or most) of the population, that points to it being some kind of genetic trait, no (forgive me if I mangled genetics just then)?  Even if not, why can't the Reapers just have used <insert technobabble here> to harvest that essense?

tl;dr I still haven't heard any good support to your claim beyond "It's stupid and I don't like it."

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If I recall correctly no one in ME2 speaks about "DNA" as the thing being contained in the "goo".

Now to your assertion that "goo" can't contain "memory", it's kinda ironic since dna computers were found to work some years ago, let alone by super sentient billion years old species. But I'm sure that you will provide evidence for "goo" being unable to carry over "memory". A mathematical proof, no less, is what I'm expecting.

Human memory don't work that way. Go read up a bit on how human memory is stored and processed.

As to what you're expecting - I don't really care.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Hey gaise, Assassin's Creed is stupid because memory doesn't work that way.  I now think that the entire franchise sucks because of one small facet that only has to do with the story at all as the catalyst of the plot and not the actually important part of the writing or gameplay.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Offline Luis Dias

Human memory don't work that way. Go read up a bit on how human memory is stored and processed.

Who even mentioned anything about human memory?

See, this is your problem, you assume too much. I'm sure you are about to teach a civilization millions of years old what they can or they can't retrieve from humans and what exact techniques they shouldn't use.

Because you're that awesome, right.

As to what you're expecting - I don't really care.

It would be the only way you went around to have a point.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR558wTjOUU

Why yes, appealing to an authority that ... uhhh ... isn't really known all that well, that's a good argumenting strategy.

In other words, WE GET IT. You do not like ME2. Now **** off.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR558wTjOUU

Oh my ****ing bazzillion gazzillion multiverses, is that smug mother****er so utterly boring.

Plinkett's style is definitely not for everyone.

Worse, I couldn't agree with him on almost anything. He was just arguing for the hell of it... not very compelling.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Hey gaise, Assassin's Creed is stupid because memory doesn't work that way.  I now think that the entire franchise sucks because of one small facet that only has to do with the story at all as the catalyst of the plot and not the actually important part of the writing or gameplay.

But hey, Assassin's Creed was based entirely on that, so you take it as fantasy (And AC is clearly sci-fantasy) and move on. Mass Effect was being fairly decent sci-fi up until it threw in that ridiculous concept. And what I find ridiculous about it is the idea that DNA (And that the stuff wasn't really implied to be just the DNA, just goo'ed humans being turned into a metallic monster) can impart qualities to a machine that are actually meaningful for something that floats through space, fires lasers and genocides species as a sideline? Of course, Harbinger already was doing a great job of destroying any credibility of the Reapers as a serious villain. Gone is the sepulchral, menacing qualities of Sovereign, where Shepard and biological life were mere stains on the galaxy to be cleansed at it's leisure, and in is something that whines and threatens like an ex-partner whenever it communicates with Shepard, and that far more often than Sovereign did.

But, this argument is ridiculously circular, so let's say that I and quite a lot of people don't like how they changed (polluted in my own view) the Sci-fi/Space Opera feel of the Mass Effect universe in the second one through their attempts to make it 'darker and edgier', and that some people adore and defend that decision. To me, it smacks of the same decisions that amplified to make DA2 such an appaling misstep, but that's my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 03:34:07 pm by Ravenholme »
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
'darker and edgier'
I see these 2 words and I lose my mind.  Darker and edgier is NEVER better unless you can pull it off.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Darker and edgier is NEVER better unless you can pull it off.

Yeah, just like every other thing ever conceived.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
that whines

Harbinger whines? What the **** are you on?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

He just wants us all to really see how he really feels about ME2.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

AC may have had good gameplay mechanics, but the story was bad...and downright stupid. :P

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
that whines

Harbinger whines? What the **** are you on?

He is...taxing. Constantly yapping how Shep will "feel this" and how "perfect" they are...and constantly getting their avatars trashed, only to come back and talk again..and again..and again. AND AGAIN!
I wasn't even half the game in and I wanted to take a drill to my head just to shut the f***er up

Speaking of which, was there ever a mod that shuts him up?

Offline Luis Dias

I guess he was just right in a metagaming way. This hurts you doesn't it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
<3 Soverign.
<3 Ashley.

<3 Ginger Ensign.

:p - Harbinger = :meh:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png