Author Topic: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers  (Read 73535 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Re: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers
Looks shiny. I just hope they're not gonna stick to the WC gameplay formula of

10 Fly to next nav point
20 Kill X number of bad guys
30 GOTO 10

This always bored me to death. I understand that is was a clever way to limit the number of ships in a mission at a given time and thus save resources in the WC1 era. But the fact that they kept the gameplay like this up to Prophecy and even Starlancer is beyond me.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Chris Roberts uses the same joystick I do! Even though he played his tech demo with a 360 controller, the video focused very heavily on the X52. I will give him money.

And how many faces did he say that pilot model had? 100k? That seems a bit excessive.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I can't even crapping see anything and its asking me to pledge money wut.
Whoever made that website is fail.

They also apparently shot my login.
So I guess I'm back to "all my I don't care".
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Watched the pitch video, seems like a lot of pandering and unrealistic promises.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd be somewhat more interested in delving into the Wing Commander franchise as a whole if your enemies throughout most of it weren't literal Space Furries.  I mean, the Vasudans and Shivans weren't ridiculously creative as far as alien designs go, but at least you can look at them and get the pop-culture "that's an alien" vibe.  And then there's the Kilrathi...who, to put it bluntly, look like rejects from a cosplay convention.  (Seriously, Thundercats? :p)  I do want to check the games out at some point, but it's kind of hard to take them seriously.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's the case with a lot of old SF. I think Kilrathi design is cool (especially the one from WC1/2, though the later one is somewhat more alien), if dated. Take into account that they were played by actual actors, which would be kind of hard to do with Shivans of Vasudans. Oh, and aside from early designs and Academy (the short lived Wing Commander cartoon), Kilrathi look nothing like Thundercats. Heck, even the "cat" part got a lot less pronounced after WC2. I first though about a mandrill when I saw them in WC4 (WC3 design was more bear-like). :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
http://youtu.be/HY9FUXXaalg 
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=roberts_space_industries_gdc_panel20121010
Dunno if these were linked yet

Looks amazing for something that is nothing more than just a demo right now. And if anything, I really wanna support chris robert's PC master race attitude. And since it's not on kickstarter, I can actually throw money at them. Which I'll be doing soon.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
How do I register on their donation site?

What the frak, I can't log in anymore, and it claims there's no account with my e-mail address. Did their login server break or something?

EDIT: According to Twitter, the main site was Diaspora'd, and the one that's up now is the backup. Which doesn't seem to be working right. Everything should get straightened out soon enough.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:18:28 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Quote from: Roberts Space Industries Facebook page
We're very sorry for the trouble. You will NOT lose your golden ticket and we will match up all the pledges correctly. :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The news that their site gets so much traffic is good news. Hooray for the large avalanche of support!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mikes

http://youtu.be/HY9FUXXaalg 
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=roberts_space_industries_gdc_panel20121010
Dunno if these were linked yet

Looks amazing for something that is nothing more than just a demo right now. And if anything, I really wanna support chris robert's PC master race attitude. And since it's not on kickstarter, I can actually throw money at them. Which I'll be doing soon.

Frankly, I'm getting a bit of a "lets bring social gaming coupled with microtransactions to space-sims - salted with some MMO elements" vibe from the whole thing... 

Why can't he just make the state of the art space sim that everyone here would love to play? lol.   
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:47:08 am by Mikes »

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
I dunno, but from what I hear, it can be that too.

Offline Mikes

I dunno, but from what I hear, it can be that too.

Well, hope dies last lol.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I wasn't really getting the social gaming vibe from it. (granted I havent really seen the hour long vid on gamespot yet)

Edit: And then I watched a bit and get where you got the vibe from
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:45:25 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Offline newman

The first two Wing Commander games had a cartoony style to their cutscenes, and the Kilrathi looked like this:

Which was just fine for a 1990 space shooter game that used space cats as the enemy. With Wing Commander 3, though, they decided to make a technological leap forward and do filmed cutscenes, which was pretty cutting edge at the time. But the Kilrathi design didn't make the transition from cartoon to video too well, and as a result it looked campy. That's easy for me to forgive, taking into account the whole franchise and how it came to be. It was never meant as anything too serious anyway. I can understand how somebody trying to get into it today would find them totally, game-breaking ridiculous.

The problem I had with Wing Commander games wasn't really with the universe or it's species though; it was the fact that I found the X-Wing games much, much better as actual space sims. Wing Commander's flight model just felt bad to me when I compared it to, say, Tie Fighter. The story was engaging and the whole interactive movie thing worked, but I always felt the missions were there just because they had to be to justify calling it a game, and progressing the story always came first to actual game mechanics; while I felt my skills challenged in X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and later outings, Wing Commander was just autopilot sequence - generic shooting at aliens - rinse and repeat.

I consider one of the best games set in that universe to be the often overlooked Privateer 1. That was the only one where I found the gameplay as much fun as following the story - buying new ships, upgrading them, jumping around unexplored systems, it felt good. Privateer 2 never managed to capture me in such a way.

That all being said, the videos of Space Citizen look pretty great to me. I know a video alone proves nothing, but if this thing delivers half of what it promises to it'll be great. The sad fact is that if you want to get funding for a space sim these days, you need to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt it's going to sell - so I do understand the "give us money now and get the game much, much later" approach to some degree. If it resurrects the genre even for a short while, it'll be worth it.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
This is weird...I can't log in to the site...

When I try to reset my password, I get that no ac**** with such e-mail exists... wTF?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Luis Dias

Ahh Privateer! I do miss that game.

This is weird...I can't log in to the site...

When I try to reset my password, I get that no ac**** with such e-mail exists... wTF?

It's a known issue, should be cleared up on its own eventually.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Maybe I'm just dumb and blind (unlikely!) but I can't seem to see the difference between the 'First responder' and 'Have starship will travel' pledge. Aside that one is 10 dollar more from the other.
Urutorahappī!!