Author Topic: BSG:BTRL Demo release!!!!  (Read 25893 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Re: BSG:BTRL Demo release!!!!
So this wasn't an April's fools ? Most excellent :yes:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline HermeZ

• Blah :P
    • My Homepage ;)
I need a joystick... JOYSTICK ;)

...or maybe "bigger" mouse for start ;)

I'm playing on medium, but it's seems too easy tough ;)
Polish FreeSpace Community Center
-----------------------------------------
Have a Nice Day :)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Just a dump questions...how to I activate the cockpits? I have seen them in a trailer but haven't seen them ingame...or did you just leave them out?
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Multi is real nice. Except my data never saves. Do you have to finish the mission? Because in an FFA that I had like 15 kills in, I died once, and I accidentally hit 'esc' and it closed on me without saving. (it was on a normal map).

EDIT:
Just a dump questions...how to I activate the cockpits? I have seen them in a trailer but haven't seen them ingame...or did you just leave them out?

Exctract ships.tbl from the missions vp to data/tables

Go into it

put the "show ship" flag onto the mk II and VII\

save
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:07:20 pm by thesizzler »

Wow, this is great so far!  My only complaint is that the first (only?) training mission likes to crash, forcing me to skip out of the training loop.

edit: okay, the first real mission is doing that too...still pretty nice though.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:57:09 pm by BurntCornMuffin »
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Offline CKid

Multi is real nice. Except my data never saves. Do you have to finish the mission? Because in an FFA that I had like 15 kills in, I died once, and I accidentally hit 'esc' and it closed on me without saving. (it was on a normal map).

Yes, the mission has to be finished for your stats to be saved
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name

Sizzler's method *works*. It would be better to use modular table for this kind of thing... But the problem with that is that it makes the multiplayer think you have hacked tables and this causes the stats not to update for anyone who flies in the mission.

This means that it is only approved to use modded tables in single player missions. On multiplayer, you have to use the official tables at the moment, due to verification methods used by the multiplayer code.

So, if you want to look at the cockpits in single player, build a mod folder called "cockpitmod" or whatever you like, add a file to location ../cockpitmod/data/tables/cockpits_visible-shp.tbm, and add this to the file:

Code: [Select]
#Ship Classes

$Name: Colonial Viper Mark II
+nocreate
$Flags: ( "show ship" )

$Name: Colonial Viper Mark VII
+nocreate

$Name: Cylon Raider
+nocreate

#End

Remember, the file can be named anything, but the important thing is that there's -shp at the end of filename and the filetype extension is .tbm - otherwise it won't work.

Now, you must disable the mod every time you want to play multiplayer and enable it if you want to use it on single player.

For Vipers it's not really worth the trouble yet. The cockpit textures in the demo are integrated to ship textures and are thereby very low resolution. Additionally, in Vipers the nose of the ship covers quite a bit of the view, but that's to be expected anyway.

Surprizingly the "show ship" flag makes the Raider much better. It causes the two crescent-shaped wings to show up in the sides of the view, and strengthen the immersion somewhat.

But as I said, if you use this, never go to multiplayer with the cockpitmod activated...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dysko

Sizzler's method *works*. It would be better to use modular table for this kind of thing... But the problem with that is that it makes the multiplayer think you have hacked tables and this causes the stats not to update for anyone who flies in the mission.
Uh... I thought that any tbl different from the original one caused rejection of the stats in multi... (as happened to me when playing BtRL online).
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
We would really appreciate it if you didn't spread how to use TBMs to modify BtRL around. You can easily start cheating in the game if you start messing with it, and some people either may forget to remove it or keep it in there on purpose. It's not really a problem on this forum, because most everyone knows how to mod FS2, but on other forums with a lot of FS newbies, it could start becoming one.

And DySkO, our tables were validated by FS2NetD, so the stats will store if you play BtRL.

Offline Dysko

Then why I still have 65 like 1 month ago? :wtf: I achieved something like 35 kills recently... (if you don't believe me, ask Shiv).
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
UT:

Yeah, I was wondering what the team's opinion on the matter was.

The main reason I decided to write that message was because thesizzler already posted a method, one that affects the game through data directory without any mods activated... A mod directory doesn't do that, but it allows willing to use cockpits on single player if they really really want to. I also wanted to make clear what the altered tables do to multiplayer. If people are willing to do a modification like that, they should at least have proper instructions that don't cause them to affect multiplayer stats without knowing it. If they are informed of it and they still do it, it falls on their responsibility.

Anyway, I will respect the team's wishes and not post the cockpitmod instructions anywhere else from this on.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
The stats aren't storing because of lag issues, which will be fixed in the next SCP version hopefully.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
The stats aren't storing because of lag issues, which will be fixed in the next SCP version hopefully.

I hope so.

I've been getting at least 10 kills a game, and for me I think that's pretty good, and I want it to save :( .

EDIT: whats the Raiders cockpit look like from the inside?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage

From what I've been able to gather, it looks like raw meat.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

From what I've been able to gather, it looks like raw meat.

I meant in game.

I doubt they modeled that in.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
With default field of view settings... it looks like this:

With -fov 0.85 command line, it looks like this.

And side view is like this... 8)

Now, look at them at face value and tell that ain't cool... :drevil:

Only thing is, when you look down you actually see through the ship, but you aren't usually looking down during dogfights. With default field of view settings, the frontal view looks great already. Adds immersion IMHO, but unfortunately can only be used at single player.

Well, you can't always get everything you want immediately... The work the BtRL team has done is incredible already at this point, and I expect them to keep up the good work. Meaning, we will get our belowed cockpits at some point. Might take some time, but good is worth the waiting.

:)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Haha, I gotta admit that looks pretty neat. :)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
For a demo you included to few ships! Guess B5 spoiled me wiht all the ships :D
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline MarkN

Trashman: Come on, it's only a demo, not a final release, so don't expect that many ships. Anyway, BtRL release method is very different from TBPs. In BtRL they are releasing a campaign with the ships needed for that, while TBP's release is a set of ships that are independant of campaigns. Anyway TBP is nearly final, while BtRL is a DEMO.
Finally, from what I have seen of BSG, there are far fewer ships in the series than in B5.