Author Topic: Critical Subsystem HUD Gauge  (Read 2693 times)

Critical Subsystem HUD Gauge
Have you ever built a mission that's complicated, and asks the player to destroy a bunch of subsystems, but playtesters get hung up trying to find them?
Ever wished you could let them easily target the next subsystem? Wished they had a good list of what was left to do?

Well, now your frustration is over!
I've built a lua script that lets players easily target critical subsystems (as defined in FRED).

The idea for this came from reading the Blue Planet forum somewhere, but I don't think their script was ever released, so here I am releasing!

You can find the code on github here: https://github.com/tcrayford/fso-critical-subsystem

There's a detailed README and getting started guide there.

The player can press (by default) the "d" key to select the next critical subsystem.

From FRED, you call `lua-add-critical-subsystem` to add a subsystem the the gauge (which will make it display).

If a subsystem on the list is destroyed, and the player is targeting it, then the next target selected will be the next critical subsystem on the list (if there is one).

This script requires a relatively recent FSO build, it uses the `On Subsystem Destroyed` hook, which was added in May 2019 by Goober5000 (thankyou!).

Thanks to Axem for chatting to me about the features in this script, and the Blue Planet team for the idea.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: Critical Subsystem HUD Gauge
Well, looks good to use it together with the Subsystem Hotkey script, i am using to mark mission critical subsystems without to use the actual hot key functionality.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:48:48 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Darius

Thank you! Anything to make targeting easier gets a thumbs up from me  :yes:

The readme doesn't mention keybinds, is there a way to change the default bind? I'm using a wasd control scheme currently.

Darius: I've updated the README, but you can edit this line

Code: [Select]
self.Key = "D"

to any other key.

Nice work you did there! :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, this was gonna be a big feature in the Act 4 BP bomber gameplay.