Author Topic: Infiltration successful  (Read 6988 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Infiltration successful
Quake II required backtracking to previous levels in order to complete new objectives.

Offline Luis Dias

Ah, ok. So Q2 had more than one direction.

Didn't prevent it to be utterly boring.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
What. Quake II was and still is fun compared to just about every new release that pops up.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:39:35 am by Commander Zane »

Offline Luis Dias

Hm. No. And I was a huge fan of Q2 don't get me wrong. Specially the mp with the hook thing.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I DARE cliffy to make a 3D freeflight space shooter, becuase something is better than nothing, halo reach's space level was fun and no one hated it hugely, as far as I know, in fact wanting more like that.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Wolf3D did allow you to go in more than one direction. It also had secret doors, which was badass. I probably have more gametime on Wolf3D than on CoD4.

(but that probably says more about me than Wolf3D (hey that rhymes))

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Hm. No. And I was a huge fan of Q2 don't get me wrong. Specially the mp with the hook thing.

quake 2 was awesome in its day. before i got my copy of q2, my game was still descent 2. this was way back in '97. quake 2 also had good multi and coop mode. this was before fps developers decided to split fpses off into standalone single and multiplayer games, a practice i want to see dead. really the only game (that ive played) that seemed to push the genre is prey. awesome gravity effects, which effectively allowed the game to make better use of vertical space. gameplay was still linear for the most part. quake 4 was also pretty awesome, but it was kinda the same old fps.

frankly i like the time tested linear fps over attempts at games where you have less than linear gameplay. non linearity is just not what i expect of an fps game. fps games revolve around world geometry (maps) that take a lot of effort to create, which limits the length of the game. now if you applied rpg concepts to fps games, where you have to level up to advance in the game, and you had a huge number of maps linked up (or megamaps), with areas that require certain skill levels to survive. that would be a game worth playing. but to the best of my knoledge no such game exists.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
frankly i like the time tested linear fps over attempts at games where you have less than linear gameplay. non linearity is just not what i expect of an fps game. fps games revolve around world geometry (maps) that take a lot of effort to create, which limits the length of the game. now if you applied rpg concepts to fps games, where you have to level up to advance in the game, and you had a huge number of maps linked up (or megamaps), with areas that require certain skill levels to survive. that would be a game worth playing. but to the best of my knoledge no such game exists.

Take away the skills bit, and replace it with various items, and you've got S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
ArmA (and it's predecessor, Operation: Flashpoint) series can be quite nonlineral, though they're not as open-ended as RPGs, they still allow you a lot of ways of tackling a particular problem. Of course, it depends on a mission, if you're not a squad leader, it becomes more lineral, and if you're in high command, you have more freedom. Of course, not everybody likes tactical FPSes, and ArmA is pretty much the extreme form of this genre, being essentially a tactical simulator.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i cant say i like tactical fpses at all. i tried arma, but i never really got very far before i quit and loaded up doom.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I liked SOCOM: US Navy SEALs for PSP. I'd like to see more games of that kind around.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I never played it, but you may want to take a look at (besides ArmA) Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 (slightly less realistic than ArmA, and focused on special forces) or Ghost Recon.

In Operation Flashpoint, I particularly liked when the US forces had to evacuate off the island, and your current mission could be failed, having to hide behind enemy lines with the last evacuations in progress. You could of course also succeed the mission normally and evacuate.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I never played it, but you may want to take a look at (besides ArmA) Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 (slightly less realistic than ArmA, and focused on special forces) or Ghost Recon.

i had the first 2 games in the rainbow 6 series. didnt much like either one of them. loading times were just far longer than other, better looking games that i played at the time, and i eventually lost my patience with them.

also i think im gonna move this to gaming. it just seems odd to have it here.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I posted this in another thread, and then I thought of this one. I think V should just start a new space combat IP. I think there should never be an FS3, tbh, I think the lack of a sequel with such an open-ended finish to the FS series is part of what's kept it alive and what adds to it's mystique.

I personally think V should start a new IP and make it just as moddable as FS.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
As I said in other thread, it'd be also nice if the new title wasn't FS3, but at least hinted at being in the same timeline.
Also, I agree about moddablity, though it shouldn't be as complicated as ArmA (you have to know HTML just to make your own missions) or most other modern games I looked into. Basic FS modding was easy to learn, with LUA being only a "bonus" and not a requirement (as it is in HW2 or ArmA).

In Operation Flashpoint, I particularly liked when the US forces had to evacuate off the island, and your current mission could be failed, having to hide behind enemy lines with the last evacuations in progress. You could of course also succeed the mission normally and evacuate.
That was indeed a good idea, though the mission (CWR2 remake of the infamous "After Montignac") is giving me a headache right now.  :) It's much harder than previous ones, not to mention I found OFP more difficult than ArmAII (to which I'm used).

Offline Davros

What's the phrase?  "There's no such thing as bad publicity?"

Really I'm sure Cliffy is regretting this pic :D

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
As I said in other thread, it'd be also nice if the new title wasn't FS3, but at least hinted at being in the same timeline.
Also, I agree about moddablity, though it shouldn't be as complicated as ArmA (you have to know HTML just to make your own missions) or most other modern games I looked into. Basic FS modding was easy to learn, with LUA being only a "bonus" and not a requirement (as it is in HW2 or ArmA).

you kids are all spoiled. lua is a very easy language to get started with. i remember learning quake c back in '98. mapping was about the only thing you could do without coding expertise. if you wanted to add models to the game, you had to use quake c, if you wanted to change the gameplay, you had to learn quake c. in fact you couldnt do anything cool without some quake c. new maps get old after awhile. at the time there were a ****ton of tutorials on how to do everything from new models and animations to homing missiles to radar whatever. it was hard to use, you could only use 3 datatypes, you didnt have structs, you could permanently break the executable by changing anything above a certain comment in one of the code files. i mean seriously. lua is simple, doesnt involve learning a lot of obscure operators like in c, and it wont make you need to re-download the game engine. we certainly couldnt do a lot by editing plain englsh tables. a lot of modern games even have confusing data files (see freelancer) to edit. descent (the oldest game ive modded) used something similar to tables but they were in a binary format to save space, and you needed special tools to edit those. and those tools blocked most of the edits to prevent cheating. this is long before games implemented anti cheating code. so enjoy your tables and your sexps, you spoiled brats! and dont learn lua! even though it can implement 90% of the feature requests that graze the scp board given enough dev time. 

:hopping:

Nuke's Scripting SVN