Author Topic: Possible new version scheme  (Read 5713 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Possible new version scheme
That versioning scheme makes sense to me. I say go for it.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Axem

In general, I like it. Its a bit of a big departure from the current "always use 3 as a major version" (which I always liked too, because its FreeSpace 3 right? ;)), but it makes it a lot clearer at how up to date everything is.

(What I like more is a regular stable release system)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Since we're about to start a new release candidate phase, I wanted to make sure everyone understood the new version scheme (and could get in any objections or concerns before everything changed).

At present, we're planning on the next release being 19.0; the actual version number for RC1 will be 19.0.0-RC1, and then should nobody find any horrible bugs with that the actual release would be 19.0.1 (so the release version number tells you at a glance how many release candidates it took). Once 19.0 is finalized, nightly builds will start with 19.1.1 (or rather 19.1.1-2019-MM-DD, based on whenever it arrives), and then we'll eventually hit 19.2 (hopefully; the plan is for stable releases to be more common, like every few months). When 2020 rolls around, nightly builds will still be 19.X.Y until we have a 20.0 release.

So: Major version is two digits based on the year of the most recent stable release, minor version is even for stable and odd for nightlies with the first stable release in a year having a minor version of 0, and the build version increments with every release candidate or nightly. Extra data indicates release candidate status or nightly build date.

Hopefully, the new system conveys more information at a glance than "3.8.1.20190508", although debug logs for nightly builds will still include the date and commit hash to make it easy to tell exactly which version of FSO is being run.

I know nobody raised any real objections after DahBlount announced, last December, that we'd definitely be changing version schemes, but now that it's been codified and examples written out and we're about to start using it, does anybody have any last-minute concerns/suggestions/whatever?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Having seen it again just now, I like it even more.  :yes: