Author Topic: RELEASE - Bem Cavalgar  (Read 34487 times)

Re: RELEASE - Bem Cavalgar
Hi Lt.D,

first: congratulation to this new campaign.

I'd like to ask you the following:

In dogfight the shivans are somehow circling around me making it "strange" to fight, e.g. with matched speed. Is this a "bug"? Running it with 3.7-RC2 on Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit

Thanks in advance

praseodym

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Sounds like ship glide.  Been around for a while, doesn't get used much by the AI.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I'd bet on lateral thrusters instead. And that's been around since FS1.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm really pissed off I won't be able to play this until next weekend.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline QuakeIV

• test
This doesnt seem to... work...

I have tried a variety of launchers, tried loading a variety of mods into my freespace port install (in some vain effort to provide some potentially missing file), and generally screwed around with settings in an effort to get past the fiction viewer.

To explain roughly what I experience.

Cool cutscene thing with the vasudans and shivans pew pewing eachother.

Some fiction viewer dialogue.

I get into the mission where I have some sort of strategic map, with various people babbling at me.

I fly up to any given mission and fire to select the mission.

I get some sort of error (varies subtly between RC1 and RC2)

Could not load in 2_FictionViewer-m!
ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0_RC1.exe! <no symbol>
fs2_open_3_7_0_RC1.exe! <no symbol

Then when I dismiss this error I end up with the fiction viewer showing me some memoir excerpt, and I have no ability to click the proceed button.

Log attached from when I went through this with the debugger.  Its worth noting this actually crashes the debug build.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You don't have the FSPort MVPs.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline Luis Dias

Damn this campaign makes me feel wanting to play windmills all over again.

Offline Ma-Dai

I got exactly the same error message, but I'm quite sure that I've properly installed the fs-port (+mediavps).

Log attached.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Code: [Select]
Found root pack 'D:\FS2\mediavps_3612\MV_Advanced.vp' with a checksum of 0x4b8b0f5a
Found root pack 'D:\FS2\mediavps_3612\MV_AnimGlows.vp' with a checksum of 0x6a554026
Found root pack 'D:\FS2\mediavps_3612\MV_Assets.vp' with a checksum of 0x529cc70f
Found root pack 'D:\FS2\mediavps_3612\MV_CB_ANI_1.vp' with a checksum of 0x6b831455
Found root pack 'D:\FS2\mediavps_3612\MV_CB_ANI_2.vp' with a checksum of 0xb58a1f46
Found root pack 'D:\FS2\mediavps_3612\MV_Effects.vp' with a checksum of 0xb9a9a485
Found root pack 'D:\FS2\mediavps_3612\MV_Music.vp' with a checksum of 0xb3e21469
Found root pack 'D:\FS2\mediavps_3612\MV_RadarIcons.vp' with a checksum of 0x31dd7781
Found root pack 'D:\FS2\mediavps_3612\MV_Root.vp' with a checksum of 0x6ffd5c78
You don't have the MVP patches. See http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70736.0.

You are missing:
Code: [Select]
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\MediaVPs_3612\MV_Assets.3612.vp' with a checksum of 0x59649c21
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\MediaVPs_3612\MV_Effects.3612.vp' with a checksum of 0x9c510aa0
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\MediaVPs_3612\MV_Root.3612.vp' with a checksum of 0x7c9d7e74

Offline Lt.D

• Campaign Zombie
Okay, so it's been a weekend and I should probably respond.

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone!

Also, I have to admit to being a little disappointed with the decision to give the Shivans FS2 ships and weapons, and a little more disappointed with the decision to give the Vasudans extra weapons as well - flak and railgun type projectiles that I've encountered so far. I know that the FS1 canon weapons are a little limiting, but still, I found myself wishing it'd stuck to canon. I recognise that it's a stylistic choice - I guess I just would have made a different one. Others will disagree with me there - this exact sort of thing was suggested by Fury some time back, and IIRC received some degree of support - just not from me.

Both you and Luis Dias have a fair point here. In some ways this was a tricky choice to make - I'm both using and drawing upon Freespace as a text to add weight to my writing, but also subverting and ignoring it when it suits my purposes. In my defence, canonically the invasion and destruction of Vasuda takes... what, a few days? Bem Cavalgar is intended to take place over a much longer time than that (I imagine at least a month, which is the length of the entire Freespace 1 campaign) so some subversion was inevitable.

However, it was also a deliberate act on my part to try to divorce the player from notions of 'canon' and promote subtextual readings of the campaign. Petty crusade on my part, I know.

Also, some of the fiction seems a little... odd. Hard to put into the context of the storyline. Although again, that's style, and I might just be missing something that will be obvious to others.

Similarly, some of the fiction has only a non-diegetic relationship to the campaign in an effort to force the player to think thematically about Bem Cavalgar. I can elaborate on what (I perceive) the core themes of Bem Cavalgar are in a later post, if anyone wants.

But, I should emphasise, the good here far, far outweighs the bad!

I'm glad the choice mechanic worked. Goober's right when he said his credit is a reference to his FreespaceLancer proof-of-concept, and I know a couple of campaigns have already made use of non-linear campaign structures to good effect. I think there's some work to be done with the variables - some parts seem a little weak to me in their delivery.

For the record, the strategic map concept works like this:

Spoiler:
I wanted Bem Cavalgar to have a certain 'boardgame' feel, and this is strongest felt in the strategic map, which plays a little bit like a single-player/co-op boardgame.

Each mission is a 'turn'. The strategic variables all increase or decrease each time you visit the strategic map.

'Time' controls what missions are available on a given turn. 0-10000 is turn 1, 10000-20000 is turn 2, etc. Time increase by 10000 each turn, minus the Power and Projection values of the Shivans that you killed/objectives you accomplished in the previous mission. Projection has a slightly larger affect on Time than Power (120% v. 80%).

Shivan Armada strength is the sum of Power and Projection, which start out at around 90000. Again, the Power and Projection gains you make in each mission are taken away from these values, so they slowly decrease over the course of the campaign.

The civilian statistics are essentially the 'points' of the campaign. Civilian ships that are evacuated in missions increase the Civilians Rescued value. Ships that die or would appear in missions that aren't taken go to the Civilians Killed value. Additionally, the Civilians Killed value increases each turn by an amount equal to 80% of Shivan Projection and 120% of Shivan Power.

There's also a 'Multiplier' value that increases when you do civilian missions and decreases when you do other missions. This multiplier increases how many civilians get saved each turn.

The PVN Navy Strength value is another, more general-purpose multiplier that reduces the amount Time increases, reduces the number of civilians killed and increases the number of civilians saved each turn by a very low amount.

Effectively, missions that target Shivan assets give the player more turns on the map and reduce the civilians killed each turn. Missions that rescue civilian refugees increase the number of civilians saved and let the player feel good about themselves morally. More tweaking probably needs to be done to get the balance right, though - some of which will come through more mission types, e.g. assisting the Navy, supply runs etc.

The missions themselves feel a little simplistic if you're expecting something like a VD or WiH level of complexity - there aren't many gimmicks or FREDding tricks beyond the big one in the mission selection stuff - but they're rock solid, bug free (as far as I can tell), well laid ourt, aesthetically satisfying, and most importantly they're fun - and they'll keep you coming back. If you're planning on re-releasing or iterative development then I do have some specific suggestions regarding individual missions, but I think I'll save them until I've 100% finished - but before I can do that I need to figure out how to kill this Demon! :D

Some of this is probably just my fundamental style, but some of it was also a deliberate choice - there's definitely a few missions where I just dump the player in a situation and say "Okay, go," like Black May and Celebrating Jutland. In the past I've done lots of scripted missions where the player gets carried through on the writing, so I wanted to limit myself in a sense and create something where the emphasis is almost entirely on the ships, the combat and the tactical decisions. Also, due to the strategic aspect, it would be a bit of a betrayal of the player if I changed the expected situation - anything fancy would need to be telegraphed clearly on the strategic map, and to be honest I don't think I explained how the map itself really works at all, let alone any more interesting missions.

I would definitely like to hear specific mission feedback.

So, yeah, in summary - although there are a few stylistic decisions I would have made differently, that takes nothing away from a unique, well FREDded remarkable first effort. Top marks!

Well, this is awkward. I didn't really think this through, it seems, but I've been outed on another board so what the hell.

I'm Blaise Russel.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm Blaise Russel.

I was wondering about that. :D  If you hadn't said so, I probably would have asked after finishing the campaign.  Welcome back!

(Which other board are you referring to?  It doesn't seem to be either SectorGame or GameWarden.)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Spoiler:
So I was right about just smashing the Shivan armada projection and power all along!
I was wondering if that had any effect, since the civilians kept dying and none was saved, only when I made rescue missions (which I hate).

I was wondering as well, are we supposed to get to do two missions of the same choice instance normally? I remember I got m5 & m6 and the final 2 missions even after choosing one. That didn't happen on other missions, I just choose one and then the other mission would just disappear and be replaced by a new set.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Lt.D

• Campaign Zombie
Spoiler:
That's the system working as intended. Attacking the Armada directly slows their conquest of Vasuda, giving you more time to carry out missions. I just couldn't think of a non-clumsy way to convey this to the player - something for a later release.

Offline QuakeIV

• test

I definitely have the MVPs, I guess Ill grab the patch and see if that fixes it.

I'm Blaise Russel.

Lord of the HLP: Return of the King

Hello, I got exactly the same error message like QUAKE IV.
I've properly installed the fs-port (+mediavps) too.
I can play other FSOpen campaigns and missions without problems.

When I start the game show me this:

fs1_loadout-shp.tbm(line 7:
Error: Missing required token: [$SBank Capacity:]. Found [$Name: SF Basilisk]
in ship: SF Dragon instead.

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12r_INF_SSE2.exe! <no symbol>
fs2_open_3_6_12r_INF_SSE2.exe! <no symbol>

and a lot of signs like this.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Matt was right, the mediavps need to be patched, after that it works.

e:  Drop these into your mediaVPS 3612 folder:

MV_Root patch

MV Assets patch

MV Effects patch
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:29:05 pm by QuakeIV »

Matt was right, the mediavps need to be patched, after that it works.

e:  Drop these into your freespace port mediaVPS 3612 folder:

MV_Root patch

MV Assets patch

MV Effects patch

Thank you QuakeIV and Matt.!!!!! :yes: