Author Topic: We need a Noob-friendly jargon busting intro to Freespace and HLP.  (Read 8318 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Re: We need a Noob-friendly jargon busting intro to Freespace and HLP.
RC = Release Candidate - Basically what we at the SCP think is almost a stable build. When we're ready to release we'll put up an RC build. If no major bugs are found in it, it will become an official build. RC's are therefore much more stable than normal nightly builds because we have spent a lot of time fixing bugs before we put up an RC build. But they're still less stable than an official release build.

Thank you for that, much clearer now. This is something else that will need to go into the 'dummies guide' :-)

Speaking of which, what does 'OP' mean here? That acronym has a lot of uses, some of them gaming related, such as 'Over Powered' and 'Observation Point'. This could be very confusing for newbies. I'm guessing in 'HLP-ese' OP stands for something different, but I cannot find an explanation as to what.  :confused:

Halp Pls  ;)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

OP is common forum-speak for "Original Post" or "Original Poster". The second use is rare on non-anonymous boards as you can simply call the poster by his forum handle.

When someone says "Look in the OP" they just mean "Look in the first post that started the thread".
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
When someone says "Look in the OP" they just mean "Look in the first post that started the thread".
This is false. When someone says "Look in the OP" they mean that you should cut the original poster open. Take a direct look at their grey matter. See if they have any guts etc.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

This is false. When someone says "Look in the OP" they mean that you should cut the original poster open. Take a direct look at their grey matter. See if they have any guts etc.

Gotta make sure there's no Cylon infiltrators roaming about.

Offline Lorric

Most of the content here requires Freespace to be purchased to play. (And since most of it is based on Freespace, kind of requires you to have played it too.)

But the total conversions require neither, making them useful indeed as a gateway to Freespace...

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
For example, I found that many mods wouldn't load, and I couldn't work out why. It was only when someone said 'you need a nighty' that I had a clue how to fix them.
FWIW, this is a bug in Knossos. Knossos itself usually knows that you need a nightly and takes care of it. However, if a player opens the "FSO settings" window (where you can also select which FSO version to use), it kind of forgets that fact and defaults to the latest stable if the stability is set to stable. I'm currently working on fixing it (among other things). Generally, your stability should be set to "Stable" (which is the default) since those builds usually are better tested than the nightlies.

Offline Lorric

It seems the Freespace games are on sale at GOG right now:

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95166.0

Seems like it would be a good idea to let this be known and talk up the games and the content produced here through whatever social media means you have at your disposal, if you haven't already. :)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hi there, thanks Lorric for the heads up! Just done that now :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Lorric

You're welcome. :)

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I have done my civic duty on Twitter
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

Nice!

Thus far I have posted to my personal FB timeline, my 'Nomad's Reviews' FB page, the HLP FB page, about ten other FB gaming groups, the Nomad's Review Twitter feed, the HLP twitter feed and on the r/gaming, r/pcmasterrace, r/spacesimgames and the r/freespace sub reddits.

And now time for a rest  :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:lol:

Nice!

Thus far I have posted to my personal FB timeline, my 'Nomad's Reviews' FB page, the HLP FB page, about ten other FB gaming groups, the Nomad's Review Twitter feed, the HLP twitter feed and on the r/gaming, r/pcmasterrace, r/spacesimgames and the r/freespace sub reddits.

And now time for a rest  :p

Awesome job! :) :yes: