Author Topic: High/low resolution options  (Read 6402 times)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
High/low resolution options
Originally posted by Descenterace
Produce the interface graphics for highest resolution, then have the game resample them at lower resolution and save to an offscreen surface.

It was already suggested some time ago...

Though the idea itself is quite good.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Descenterace
Produce the interface graphics for highest resolution, then have the game resample them at lower resolution and save to an offscreen surface.

You willing to redo all the 1000 pcx and ani files needed to do this?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
pish. just make the screen smaller with black borders.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And if you're using 1600x1200 half the screen would be black border!
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline RandomTiger

OK, this was meant to make people happy not argue, please before making any more posts understand the following:

1. All modes are offered to you because it took one code change to do them all.

2. You can go at a high (or even lower) res and use the original data which is stretched (and looks Ok I reckon)

3. If I manage to complete my current work then you will be able to make a hi res 32 bit texture and if the user wants to run 16 bit at a lower texture deinition then the engine will scale it for them

Point three is not valid if you own a voodoo card (3 or worse)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm still kind of confused as to why the menu graphics need to have the same resolution as the ingame 3D graphics. Most games actually use different resolutions for the two and change them as needed while the game is running; FS2 is one of the very few games I have seen that has them locked together.

It's not menu graphics that are the problem, because the SCP COULD set the menu to always run at 640x480.  The problem is the ingame cockpit graphics.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Flaser

It was already suggested some time ago...

Though the idea itself is quite good.

Let me guess .... The thread where it had been suggested sank down before any of the SCP guys could see it.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
I can't believe that many people responded to this post.  All I wanted to do was ask a simple graphics question, not get advice on installing a new video card or inciting a riot over various display modes. :eek2:

All of this is kinda moot anyway, as I downloaded FS_Open 3.5.5 (phreak's 10/04/03 build) and used RandomTiger's newest launcher.  Everything worked fine, no apparent problems.  There are a few glitches I noticed that I'll list here for completeness's sake, but certainly nothing that crippled my gameplay.

--Not a bug, a feature! :D  The "shinemaps" are all visually stunning, and make it much easier to make out the silhouettes of the Terran and Vasudan vessels.  By contrast, Shivan vessels are unfairly hard to see when not cast against another, more visible object, but when you see them in the proper lighting, they're quite impressive.  I thought one ship had pretty funky-looking maps, but offhand, I can't remember which one it was; it might have been either the standard Amazon drone or the Erinyes, as I remember thinking that those ships didn't look quite as "decked-out" as many others.  The GTI Arcadia and the GTD Orion, in particular, look marvelous.  All sparkly and shiny and WHOOSH.

-- FS_Open seemed to crash an inordinate amount of the time on the fourth mission, "A Lion at the Door", for reasons unknown.  I'm guessing that the presence of the Knossos might have been a contributing factor, as I only have 128 MB hard memory and 188 virtual, but I don't recall any problems in other missions where the Knossos was present.  I crashed when I'd hit afterburners and go after the Mephisto freighter "Maul"; after two or three crashes, when I focused upon the cruiser Behemoth instead, there were no problems.

--Another feature. :D  Enemy AI is insane.  I'll never get over the "kickstand" maneuver of simply killing engines and firing from a stationary position, as a human player would do.  The fighterbeams-eradicating-shields also takes a little getting used to.

--Whenever I try to access the Barracks in the Terran main hall, FS_Open crashes to desktop.  I can remember this back from 3.5.3.  I've never tested it in the Vasudan  Main Hall.

--The "incoming missile" icon on the rim of your radar is gray.  In the original game, it was a yellow-orange hue.  This is such a small point of note, I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not.

--The old "telling one wing of fighters to ignore something causes all other fighters and capships to ignore it too" bug is still present.

--In the FS2 devdiary, there's a comment about how the Crystal of a Shivan Comm Node only seems to take damage when you fire around the "ends" of the Crystal.  The devs claimed this bug was fixed, but every time I've played the game, both retail and Open, it's been present.  Is this a render/texturing problem, or something in the source?

--Ship displays in the ship selection/loadout screen act wonky.  The weapons displays still possess the nifty wire-frame-computer-texturing effect, but the ship displays have all been replaced by slowly-rotating models of the craft in question, like those seen in the tech room.  In several missions, even these models don't appear, and the ship display is left totally blank.

A long-standing bug I've suffered ever since my initial purchase of the game has been missing tech room entries.  The Terran and Vasudan sections seem complete, at first glance, but a huge chunk of the Shivan section is missing.  Virtually all of the fighters and bombers are gone, there are no entries for either the Demon or the Moloch, and the Shivan Comm Node is gone as well.  This is all after I've already completed the game, so there's nothing left I'm supposed to "discover".  I suppose this could be a corrupted or incomplete file on the CD (I purchased my copy from what is now a GameStop outlet; it came with the original box and CD sleeves, but no manual, leading me to think it was a used copy), but if that was the case, wouldn't the ramifcations on the game be wider than a few missing tech entries?

Oddly enough, way back when I played Derelict, the mod installed full and complete tech room entries.  Go figure.

Sorry for not reporting these little things through Bugzilla channels, but they seem fairly obvious to me, and I imagine that anyone with a fairly astute eye has probably reported them to the coders already.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.