General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

Hardest Mission Evar!!!

(1/11) > >>

Goober5000:
I've been turning this over in my mind for a while, but was reminded recently while playing through the Port.  (In Evangelist, I had forgotten that there were no beams in FS1, and was surprised for a moment that nothing zapped me while I made my bombing run on the Eva.  The mission seemed ridiculously easy compared to what I had gotten used to.)  What's your opinion on the difficulty of Freespace missions in general - good, bad, easy, hard?

I thought the missions in FS1 were just the right level of difficulty, with an occasional good challenge here and there, but the missions in FS2 were generally harder than average.  The first time through the main FS2 campaign, I remember being incredibly frustrated at Slaying Ravana in particular, although now I can usually beat it the first time through.  (FYI: I got FS2 last year and FS1 the year before that.)  Exodus was another difficult one - there are so many things to keep track of at once.

But the mission that really gets my blood boiling is Proving Grounds - I think that's the absolute hardest mission Volition's put out.  First there's the virtually impossible task of protecting the Oberon, then you've got to protect the Aquitaine from bombers coming from all directions, and finally there's this nasty corvette that doesn't show up on sensors firing at everything.  And all this takes place in a nebula!

It's interesting to note that you get the OOG medal if you keep the Aquitaine above 50% (a feat in and of itself) but the game yells at you if the Tiamat isn't destroyed.  (As an aside, that bit about providing sensor support for the Aquitaine doesn't seem to make much sense.)

What is everybody's opinion on mission difficulty?  I know there are some people who really like a challenging mission, but to me playing through a mission 50 times just to beat it once is rather tedious.  (I prefer to hone my skills over time. :))  I like a campaign with a good story that provides reasonably challenging missions (with perhaps a good challenge every now and then) rather than something like Aeos Affair.  I think FS1 succeeded just about perfectly in its difficulty balance.

And just because I'm curious: Is there anyone who's ever managed to complete everything in Proving Grounds (Oberon protected, Aquitaine above 50%, Tiamat destroyed) at Medium or above, without cheating? :)

diamondgeezer:
I get the Order of Galatea, on medium, about 75% of the time. 'Tis easy to let it slip, though :nod:

Knight Templar:
I'm not that great of a pilot ( I have to fly with a Sidewinder pad ) but I've gotton the Oberon, and the medal and the Tia a few times on medium, although I remember on hard, the Tia seems to stay alive, and of course you can't touch it.

I prefer challenging missions that you need to get good to play through as long as they ain't riduculously hard. By that I mean like Bearbaiting on Insane or something like that as a riduculous example.

SKYNET-011:

--- Quote ---And just because I'm curious: Is there anyone who's ever managed to complete everything in Proving Grounds (Oberon protected, Aquitaine above 50%, Tiamat destroyed) at Medium or above, without cheating?
--- End quote ---

I had the Tiamat under 7%...

Something that frustrated me was in the mission with the Demon destroyer, I had it down to 1% and it jumped out! :mad:

Darkage:
I only destroyed the Tiamat once.

But the FS1 missions are too easy compared to the FS2 missions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version