Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > FS2 Open Coding - The Source Code Project (SCP)

New Features for POF Version 3000 [FS2 = Version 2117]

<< < (23/24) > >>

TurboNed:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by Bobboau
....if we get something that behaves like a game with a three poly ship and none of the frills in three months, I will be impressed.
--- End quote ---

/me tries to imagine a three-poly ship and finds it VERY difficult...seems to remember something about the minimum number of faces a closed object needs in the dimensions it occupies is one greater than the number of dimensions.

for example: a point has one point in 0D space
a line has two points in 1D space
a triangle has three lines in 2D space
a tetrahedron has four triangular faces in 3D space
a hypertetrahedron has five tetrahedral faces in 4D space (okay, I'm taking a wild guess at that one, I honestly haven't a clue)

Anyway, sorry for the derailment, but I simply had to say something that has a chance of making me appear intelligent to the ignorant masses (I hope some ignorant masses read in this forum for me to have not wasted my efforts)

--TurboNed

Edit: I agree with the spirit of what Bob's said, though...completely.  I do want this project to take off, but I'll be impressed once I see real work being done.

Bobboau:
you know as soon as i said that I had the same thought

Grey Wolf:
You need at least 4 polys. That'll form a triangular-based pyramid.

CP5670:

--- Quote ---a hypertetrahedron has five tetrahedral faces in 4D space (okay, I'm taking a wild guess at that one, I honestly haven't a clue)
--- End quote ---

That's quite true, actually. ;)

Kazan:
hey thanks for the input dave.  You're very welcome to code for us if you'd like [as a non-official function of course] or tell us anything you wanted to do in the origional FS2 engine

as for 'get a function one with keyboard support in three months' - I could get an unoptimized OpenGL rendering a ship with keyboard control in not to long using OpenIL [Open Image Library] and the SDL. .. i have a  half-way completely POF renderer already, and it wouldn't be difficult to remove the GLUT code and replace it with SDL code

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version