Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > Test Builds

New cutscene player (more supported formats, better performance)

(1/9) > >>

m!m:

--- Quote from: February 2015 Interview ---Mjn.Mixael: H264 for cutscenes, music seek-to-time SEXPs, and model translation animation support

--- End quote ---
Hmm, H264 support, that doesn't sound like it's too difficult to implement.
After a few weeks of looking through documentation and cursing those who wrote it I arrived at an acceptable solution: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2dovsb3t83w5d2d/FSO-FFmpeg.7z
Source code: https://github.com/asarium/fs2open.github.com/tree/feature/ffmpeg

What does this do?
The changes in those builds add support for decoding a wide range of video and audio formats, notably H.264. It also improves the performance of cutscene playback by using a separate thread for video and audio decoding.
It uses the ffmpeg libraries which do all the hard work. The currently version is capable of smoothly playing a 1080p Theora (Ogg) or H.264 encoded cutscene (I tried playing the amazing end cutscene of ST:R with RC5, it was horrible :shaking:).

Known issues
The build is based on the Antipodes branch which is a bit out of date so you should only use these build with retail data or mods that support older versions of FSO. The easiest way to test these build is to put the movie you want to see in data/movies and renaming it intro.ogg or intro.mp4 (depending on what format you are using).

mjn.mixael:
Well well.... I know what I'm doing later.

chief1983:
We have to jump through quite a few hoops to legally use FFmpeg.  For this example, was #1 followed?

FWIW, OpenH264 is BSD-licensed, hasn't been out too long so it might have not been around the last time people were thinking about video codecs.

m!m:
Well, looks like I have to compile ffmpeg myself (seriously, **** GPL. Who thought such a piece of crap would be a good software license? :hopping:).
I am currently using precompiled binaries that were compiled with --enable-gpl so I have to compile ffmpeg myself without that flag so I can link those libraries dynamically to FSO (I hope it will still have the necessary features...).

mjn.mixael:

--- Quote from: chief1983 on March 26, 2015, 09:29:32 am ---We have to jump through quite a few hoops to legally use FFmpeg.  For this example, was #1 followed?

FWIW, OpenH264 is BSD-licensed, hasn't been out too long so it might have not been around the last time people were thinking about video codecs.

--- End quote ---

I'm wary of trying/using yet another generally untested video thing...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version