Author Topic: Post 3.6 Features  (Read 17955 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Nico, couldn't this be done by just having a pure green 1 x 1 PCX texture for colour and a shine map, and using that for your cockpit, or have I misunderstood?

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by karajorma

That always annoyed me in WC. It's not like you were ever going to not click on the characters and chat with them so they might as well have done all the "interaction" in a cutscene and saved me the bother of clicking :D

in a cutscene, you cannot decide what to say or how to act.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Maybe they did it differently in the others but in Prophecy I always felt railroaded around by the plot into saying stupid things.

Of course if this was done properly it would be cool :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by Goober5000

You can do that by hiding the hud and using point-object-at-location to turn the player's ship.

Yes and it's completely inadequate because using this method would only ever alter the camera every second.

Offline J3Vr6

How about a Lock-Camera-On-Object where you'd set it to always follow an object as it moves, but only the camera.  The camera wouldn't actually follow the ship (ie. it wouldn't speed up to keep the same distance with it) but only keep the camera locked on it. Or a Lock-Player-Ship-Facing-Object which would do the same thing.

or set it up as if you put 0 distance that the camera wouldn't move from its position but only keep its lens locked on the movement of the object, but if you put any number in, it would keep that distance always from the object.

I don't know.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by SadisticSid
Yes and it's completely inadequate because using this method would only ever alter the camera every second.

So use _argv's feature of having the sexp operate every frame.

(I actually don't know if this is still implemented... we may have to put it back in.)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
AUTO ETS - from _avgr - it made the AI a lot better IIRC.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

cogpits this would be a awsome thing to have, the current hud could be kept like its on the pilots visor, but a full 3d cogpit like seen in the fs1 intro movie with panning comparable to x2 - the thread il2 sturmovik etc. That is what i like to see, working instruments would be a plus to, a cogpit can add alot to the immersion.
HT

Originally posted by Goober5000

So use _argv's feature of having the sexp operate every frame.

(I actually don't know if this is still implemented... we may have to put it back in.)

This sounds helpful but I made a quick search of the forums and couldn't find any mention of it. Nor is there any obvious means of making this work in FRED 3.5.5, although that may be an old version. Can you link me to where this was discussed?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Flipside
Nico, couldn't this be done by just having a pure green 1 x 1 PCX texture for colour and a shine map, and using that for your cockpit, or have I misunderstood?

Is the occlusion bug fixed for this, though?  Because last time I tested, the engine didn't realise the true green was invisible and didn't render anything behind it.  

There is the invisible texture, but that also seems to disable collision detection.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
IIRC there's a sexp to enable/disable collisions with invisible textured polys, or something like that, used for energy fields on/off

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by KARMA
IIRC there's a sexp to enable/disable collisions with invisible textured polys, or something like that, used for energy fields on/off

Neat.  Not much use to me, unfortunately - is there any support of partial transparency yet (either through true-green regions or TGA alpha)?

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
any TGA textures used on models with an alpha channel will be transparent according to their alpha channel.

I once made a 50% transparent fighter ;)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by karajorma
Maybe they did it differently in the others but in Prophecy I always felt railroaded around by the plot into saying stupid things.

Of course if this was done properly it would be cool :D

Prophecy sucked, compared to WC 3 & 4.

It was really, really well done in WC3 & 4 :D

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Neat.  Not much use to me, unfortunately - is there any support of partial transparency yet (either through true-green regions or TGA alpha)?

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
tga with alpha are already possible, but they have been designed mainly for planets, nebulaes etc, not textures.
They should work on models too, but result may be a little odd and may be different on different systems.
Don't know if the old bob's trans system already work or if they have been eliminated (trans maps like glowmaps, but transparency was relative and not absolute, depending by light)
pure green is still poss, I think

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Lightspeed
any TGA textures used on models with an alpha channel will be transparent according to their alpha channel.

I once made a 50% transparent fighter ;)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
tga with alpha are already possible, but they have been designed mainly for planets, nebulaes etc, not textures.

... And they do NOT work on planets. :blah:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Yes, but does the partially/fully transparent polygon still occlude those behind it?

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
Originally posted by Lightspeed

... And they do NOT work on planets. :blah:

lol, really?:lol: