Author Topic: solid vs. non-solid geometry and how to solidify a model  (Read 1789 times)

solid vs. non-solid geometry and how to solidify a model
as the subject implies, what is the difference between solid and non-solid geometry??

I'm trying to work booleans with the extracted .pof>.cobs so I can make some renders and hack out a movie in Vue d'Esprit.

it keeps complaining that the model is non-solid.  I'm poor and can't get my hands on a copy of Truspace 4 to use the solidify plug-in, so I ask you:  does anyone know how to solidify a model without the plug-in?  like 3rd party plug-in or cross-format?

also, been a while, so I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Bob
Hippie. n. a long-haired unconventionally dressed young person

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Well, it depends on what you are doing.  However, from experience with Truespace and Booleans (or booleans in general) the best combination is cursing very loudly if you are religious or praying if you aren't.  Otherwise, not using booleans is a good option.  Actually what you've probably got is a missing face somewhere.  That sucks.  But I have no idea how to tell you to fix it, other than taking the add face tool and just pulling it around the model in hopes of finding the missing face.  Actually once you get the hang of it Booleans will actually fix some geometry errors, but it's hit or miss.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
don't use bools untill your old enough, there for grownup modlers ;)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Windrunner

• The Hammer.
There is a free copy of Truespace namly version 3.2. I don't know if it has the solidify plug-in But you can download it and try it out.
here is  the link to download page:http://download.com.com/3000-2186-10187913.html?tag=lst-0-1
Staffmember: Hard Light Productions
I said a lot of things.  Some of them were even true. - Aldo_14

it's not a permanent boolean, just a temporary hacked box primative in Vue that expands as it slices through a ship being nailed by a beam cannon.

but it pretty much applies to any boolean operation I've tried anywhere.. :(

oh, and I have that version already, the solidify plug-in is apparently for TS4.x+ only
Hippie. n. a long-haired unconventionally dressed young person

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
I take care of solidity in Lightwave. I couldn't solidify anything in Truespace, unfortunately. The point and poly tools there just suck ass.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Eww, you're animating in truespace3...

Well yeah, you're pretty much screwed.  If the object is simple enough you could (maybe) find the problem but that just sounds altogether bad.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Did you try hitting the triangulate key? Sometimes it'll give a warning about the model needing to be something-or-othered, and give you a choice to, or not... But I have 5.1, and 6, so I have no problems like that... :/
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist