Author Topic: "Look at the size of that thing!"  (Read 47046 times)

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Originally posted by TIMMAY
Closing/opening their S-Foils is for;
     :Easier Storage
     :Gives the lasers more accuracy and range (width/height not distance)
     :Allows the craft to actually be flyable in a combat situation in a atmosphere

Ahhh...that makes more sense now. So, the S-foils DO make the X-wing faster, or more accurately, make the X-wing more flyable in an atmospheric situation. But as far as space goes, it gives no speed boost whatsoever.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
"Look at the size of that thing!"
I never noticed a speed boost when flying in X-Wing (the game).  The only speed boost was when I entered the trench.

The most sensible and current idea about S-foils is cooling.  The ROTS fighters have alot of opening wing panels etc, and this is apparently to increase radiator area to dump waste heat from combat systems.  TIEs don't need them because they're 50% radiators already.  I'm not sure if the Xwing wings work this way (particularly geometry-wise, since they'd be radiating back onto themselves) but it's a retcon, AND it makes sense.  Better than 'goes faster for no reason because Rogue Squadron says so'! :)

Fraps / carpul tunnel camera work / video editing  MADNESS!

http://www.penguinbomb.com/omniscaper/WIPS/trench.wmv
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 04:59:39 pm by 1582 »

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Just read through the topic. On the topic of the trench, I'm with the "it's not the equator one" faction. Really, it's pretty obvious.

As for wasted time... mmh, what prog are you using? I can do an overdetailled trench like that in about 2 minutes, with max :) Let me try and tell me what you think, I'll post pics in a couple minutes
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nico

• Venom
Hop. It's just a plugin, all you have to do is make the trench itself, and then play around with the settings. Just have to be careful, coz it's easy to go overboard. There's 24933 triangles in that pic, for exemple.
SCREW CANON!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the S-foils are there to keep the lasers from overheating, during a combat situation.
-C

Hey Nico, does the greeble pluggin work for 3dsmax 7.1? Its annoying making a tilable configuration of cubes and bevels that dont look tiled. Whats GREAT about Bob's subobject LOD's is that you CAN GO OVERBOARD.

I have 3 levels of detail that the trench progressively renders within a particular radius. Pop up is noticeable when approaching from above the trench. Once inside, the detailling almost seemlessly renders.

If you watch ANH, there is a slight curvature to the trench. If I increase the DS size from 44km to 120km, I think it will look just about right.

I'll put turrets and hangars this weekend.

Can someone hook me up with a weapon.tbl entry that will give me a long laser (imperial/rebel) blast? Too dug into modelling to decipher the weapons.tbl again.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 09:12:26 pm by 1582 »

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Omniscaper
Hey Nico, does the greeble pluggin work for 3dsmax 7.1? Its annoying making a tilable configuration of cubes and bevels that dont look tiled. Whats GREAT about Bob's subobject LOD's is that you CAN GO OVERBOARD.

I have 3 levels of detail that the trench progressively renders within a particular radius. Pop up is noticeable when approaching from above the trench. Once inside, the detailling almost seemlessly renders.

If you watch ANH, there is a slight curvature to the trench. If I increase the DS size from 44km to 120km, I think it will look just about right.

I'll put turrets and hangars this weekend.

Can someone hook me up with a weapon.tbl entry that will give me a long laser (imperial/rebel) blast? Too dug into modelling to decipher the weapons.tbl again.

I don't know if it works on max7, sorry, I'm still using max5, but I see no reason why it wouldn't, technically, it's just the bevel tool coupled to a scatter tool.
Btw, I'v looked at pics of the trench, and I believe it's possible to do the exact same visual as in the movie.
Anyway, search for greeble (yup, that's how it's called, handily enough :p) in google, it's a small, free plugin.
SCREW CANON!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Nico's trench looks better than Omni's. It looks more realistic.
But I have a rough guess that Omni's greebles take up fewer polies, so I would prefer Omni's to Nico's.

I am a performance-preferitor, so it's no surprise.

I wonder if there's a greeble tool for TrueSpace, too. I haven't seen one yet. :sigh:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 05:43:52 am by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
there's a pattern maker in ts6 or above, you create a first set of meshes, then you define direction and repetition

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
That's not good for me, I have only 3.2

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Well I went for the higher level of detail (but not highest). With Greeble, you can do exactly the same thing Omni did. My point was just to show that you can save a lot of time doing that kind of things.
SCREW CANON!

Found greeble for 3dsmax 7... VERY NICE. Will update the trench and video soon.

Can someone point me to the fabled in game cutscene making stuffs for the FSO?

Offline Nico

• Venom
See? That's a lifesaver :)
Now you can put the trench at the right place w/o worrying about extra work ^^

Note: if you look at the original trench, you'll notice it looks more or less like cubes put together, you don't actaully see the "wall", just the greebles. It's not difficult doing that with Greeble: you can hide the original mesh, you put only those big square greebles, you make them large enough, and it'll cover up the whole section nicely. If you collapse the stack, the hidden geometry will be deleted (you'll save a few polys that way) and will have a nice, very close to original trench.
SCREW CANON!

Offline thrawn

This  is a picture of the trench being the Death Star's equator.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
That's not that trench. That's another one. There is not only ONE trench on the Death Star.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Ah, but Thrawn is right anyway, that's the equator one the falcon is tracted to. That's also the one (well, another one, but still the one :p) where Palpatine arrives in ep06.
SCREW CANON!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Of course, that's the equator. Have I said it wasn't? I only said it was not that trench the fighters had to dive to reach the exhaust port. Okay?

Offline Nico

• Venom
then you haven't understood his post, or your comment is irrelevant or something, but that's not making sense, what you're saying now, and what you replied to him :p
Because:
Of course, that's the equator. Have I said it wasn't?

That's not that trench. That's another one.

I'd say yes, you obviously have said it wasn't :p
SCREW CANON!