Author Topic: revisiting old games  (Read 69200 times)

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
Hmmm... I like
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

I played through the Doom Collection about half a year ago, Doom 1 Doom 2 and some fan-made Doom 2 campaigns.
I also have the Ultima Collection on CD, haven't played it in about 2 years but last I was working my way through all of 'em and almost finished Ultima 5 before I stopped playing for soem reason. Maybe I'll pick it up again sometime. Those things are almost text games haha.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
By the way davros, how does Dark Messiah of Might and Magic play? People keep telling me it sucks, but I figured since you played it before you ought to know better.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Nothing worth looking there except Descent 3, FreeSpace 2 and Freelancer. ;)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline starlord

you kidding right? :eek2:

the wing commanders (and provateers), epic, inferno, ares rising, renegade: battle for jacob's star, forced alliance: the glarious mandate, halcyon sun, DRIFT: when worlds collide, deepspace: operation copernicus, terminal velocity, fury3 (and F-zone), hellbender, star rangers, star crusader, sinistar unleashed, the elites, homeplanet gold  :D, the xwing series, the independence wars, mantis XF5700 experimental fighter, etc... (only a few I can think of: there's lots more).

There be space sims in them e-shops, lods of space sims, me says... ;7

Offline Davros

I have that amount, or more, but they aren't all in one folder like that. Kind of chaotic, really.

:EDIT:

Didn't notice that that picture scrolled. 124 games.

I still have more. ;)

Count again Its actually 220 games

I have about 1200 to 1500 games been collecting them since the dos days - Do you still have more :D

By the way davros, how does Dark Messiah of Might and Magic play? People keep telling me it sucks, but I figured since you played it before you ought to know better.

its a good game but its a bit buggy and needs a hell of a pc to play it

as to my desktop its a patched uxtheme.dll + pipeline skin for xp
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=140707
or use stylexp but its not free
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:15:18 am by Davros »

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I have that amount, or more, but they aren't all in one folder like that. Kind of chaotic, really.

:EDIT:

Didn't notice that that picture scrolled. 124 games.

I still have more. ;)

Count again Its actually 220 games

I have about 1200 to 1500 games been collecting them since the dos days - Do you still have more :D

Huh. Must have miscounted the first row. x.x

I have about 691 (not counting mods, though counting expansions) installed / ready to play at the moment. That doesn't include console games (which I won't count twice, *wink* *wink*) and a few of the uninstalled PC games that I own.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

I have that, it's pretty, but not much fun as a game, there's no freedom about the game whatsoever, you just seem to perform one task after another as dictated to you, run here, jump there, sneak here, shoot this etc etc ad infinitum.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I'm considering getting Heroes 5 Gold for about 25 SG$, and Prince of Persia: Two Thrones for same price. Any thoughts?

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Two Thrones is a big improvement over Warrior Within (though what wouldn't be), as it returns strongly to the witty dialogue and general mood of Sands of Time.  It's a bit shorter, perhaps, but you'd be getting your money's worth for $25.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
As far as old games go, I replayed Descent 3 and its expansion a few weeks ago. In terms of sheer fun factor, that game beats almost any singleplayer FPS I have played recently (maybe only rivalled by UT3 with the Galtanor Invasion mod). The 6DOF combat mechanics along with the huge variety of levels and enemies still sets this game apart for me. It does have some annoying stability glitches on modern computers though.

Now I'm playing Lemmings 3D in Dosbox, which is the only PC Lemmings game I have not played before. The gameplay is quite different from the original but it's still very well designed. However, the camera is clumsy and hard to control, and the very low resolution means that it's sometimes hard to see things without getting close to them.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I own a copy of Descent 3 and its expansion too. :D

Hey, CP, if you want to, try searching for Pyromania. It's quite fun, especially on multiplayer, since you can choose up to seven ships for play.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hellbender was a blast.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Hellbender was a blast.
:yes:

Used to be one of my favorite games ... not that I could get very far ...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It was pretty intricate.

Oddly, the multiplayer was a lot of fun, especially when you learned how to cloak. I played a lot with my brother.

Plus, the cutscenes between missions were epic!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I own a copy of Descent 3 and its expansion too. :D

Hey, CP, if you want to, try searching for Pyromania. It's quite fun, especially on multiplayer, since you can choose up to seven ships for play.

Yes, I know about Pyromania. Lots of good ideas there.

Do you know of any good fanmade singleplayer campaigns for this game? I have not been able to find any, which is strange since Descent 2 had tons of them. There are a few decent standalone levels out there, but that's about it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The D3 modding scene never really did all that much with singleplayer beyond the odd stand-alone mission, unfortunately.  The WindMine series of levels is rather decent, and Hunter just announced a spin-off singleplayer campaign to his Hyperspace series of levels that seems to hold a lot of promise.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Ah crap, Mongoose, you beat me to it. :p

But yeah, WindMine is pretty good, although it's ridiculously hard. Reactor Gamma is also quite a good singleplayer level. I tried it twice, with cheats the first time and without cheats the second, and I have to say that it is one of the best singleplayer missions out there. I reviewed it on PlanetDescent (PD) and praised its design and music. I even compiled the soundtrack so that I could hear it on my portable player and MacBook.

There's a ton of stuff at PD, including the incomplete soundtrack for D3. However, getting the Game Audio Player (GAP) will allow you to play the game music directly off the mission files and even convert them from OSF to WAV, which I think is much better in some cases. GAP is available through FilePlanet, but you can also try Googling it.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I've played Reactor Gamma. It's quite well designed, but at the same time the symmetric layout means that some parts become repetitive and the objectives are fairly simple. I would like to see something like level 3 of Mercenary, which was a massive level with numerous objectives and many distinct areas.

The only other one I have played is the D3 version of Centroid Base. I will need to try out Windmine, which I hadn't heard of before.

I have all those soundtrack files and know about GAP. I used that program to convert the few missing ones and compiled them into single pieces some years ago.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Wing commander 3 and 4 then the monkey island series. If you're a proper veteran you'll have tried these.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png