Author Topic: E-Wing (DReim Series - Complete)  (Read 64813 times)

Offline aRaven

no, X- and E-Wing rule all!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I agree with whoever said this looked viper-ish.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Again, the more common refs for the E-wing look a lot like some old BSG material too, so I think it kind of fits.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I like the new design, though it does not fit in at all with the relatively consistant design made years prior. For that reason a model like this might be better off being included in a "Reimagined Vehicles" mod set... For which case it would be perfect!

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Well, this is the version that's going in.  If you don't like it, feel free to model yourself an E-Wing and create a model pack.  I'm not going back and making a canon E-Wing, it's ugly, and it doesn't physically work.  How are we supposed to make fighters with a cockpit if the cockpit is too small to fit a person inside?  

I think this version is more believable than the canon version, which also has enough conflicting references to say that there is no real canon E-Wing in the first place.

Also, an update:

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
In a way, either argument is valid. However, as I cannot make a decision upon the matter, I'll be happy with this one. That's a superb rendering, by the way...

By the way, after a quick analysis of the drawing I have on file, I have to disagree with the judgement that a pilot would be unable to fit into the cockpit. Rough estimations of size of the cockpit (given that the ship is 11.2 meters in length as is stated to be canon) lead me to conclude that the width of the base of the canopy is close to a meter, perhaps a little less. Cramped for a fighter, yes, but not impossible. I assume the Bf-109 would be worse... and that was real! I'll enclose the drawing just to be safe. Note that due to a lack of accurate measurement tools scaling via paper was performed; initial sizing reports might be a little off...

-Thaeris

[attachment deleted by MSC
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 02:19:46 am by Thaeris »
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Yeah I just did some scaling myself, the cockpit is slightly smaller than a Bf-109.  Perhaps feasible, but then we come to another problem.  If as you say the canon E-Wing sticks closely to what's been done before and looks more consistent with the universe, why do its predecessors have exceptionally roomy cockpits while the E-Wing barely has enough room for instrumentation, let alone flight controls?  Remember that the E-Wing is sure to have a helluva lot more going on in its cockpit than a Bf-109.

Also another update

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
If i remember correctly the X-wing was quite cramped though having said that I remember on new jedi order book one of the jedi replaces the front cockpit panel with a non armored temporary stored in either the cockpit or the stowage space below the cockpit so that might be a misinterpretation on my part

btw very nice job so far
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well, watching the Battle of Yavin, those X-Wing cockpits seem very roomy:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLNZVinF6vQ
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnu4kcKbik&feature=related

Also compare these two images, keeping in consideration that the F-16 is bigger than the X-Wing:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 04:13:08 pm by brandx0 »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Maybe Chewy is only 5'5 and everyone else in the SW universe is proportionately smaller.  :pimp:
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline aRaven

Fact is, the new Ewing blows the old Ewing out of the water. No need for cockpit size debates.

I love the new E-wing, but I'm not quite sure what the nubs on the aft are supposed to be. I'm almost expecting more engines to be there in their place.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Fact is, the new Ewing blows the old Ewing out of the water. No need for cockpit size debates.

I love the new E-Wing, but still find the cockpit size debates fascinating.  Without a diagram of the ship with measurements included, or a human pilot standing next to it for comparison, I have a hard time really determining if one could fit or not.  He'd have to be pretty reclined, probably, but otherwise it's hard to tell.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Yes, the pilot seat is rather reclined, as I've planned it at least, We'll see how it works once I get the cockpit modeled.  The aft section is about as large as the X-Wing's, though slightly smaller vertically.  Horizontally is is much longer and the same width as the X-Wing's, an idea I came up with after putting a camera in the X-Wing cockpit and seeing how much view space you really had.  The answer was not much.

Also, ask and ye shall recieve:

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 05:17:37 am by brandx0 »

Offline aRaven

the laser cannons could have some more detail/work, though

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Yes, the pilot seat is rather reclined, as I've planned it at least, We'll see how it works once I get the cockpit modeled.  The aft section is about as large as the X-Wing's, though slightly smaller vertically.  Horizontally is is much longer and the same width as the X-Wing's, an idea I came up with after putting a camera in the X-Wing cockpit and seeing how much view space you really had.  The answer was not much.

Also, ask and ye shall recieve:

Awesome!  Though I had no doubt about a pilot fitting in yours, what I was referring to was a pilot in comparison to the old stock E-Wing.  Either way, I think it's clear that snub fighters in general have very little room for comfort in the cockpit.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
the laser cannons could have some more detail/work, though

So should the bottom, the back, the sides, the top, the front...

It's not done.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The more I see it (the reimagined E-Wing), the more I approve of it. I have no problem whatsoever with the new Z-95, though. Beautiful! Speaking of "old" ships, does anyone on your team have thoughts of making an R-41 Starchaser?

-Thaeris

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Another update:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Baby got back.