Poll

Which game is better, Freespace 1 or Freespace 2?

Descent/Conflict: FreeSpace - The Great War
21 (38.2%)
FreeSpace 2
34 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: October 23, 2002, 11:48:25 am

Author Topic: FS1 or FS2  (Read 57656 times)

Offline Fry_Day

Which one is better, The Great War, or FS2?

My original opinion

what's this nonsense I'm hearing about FS1 being better than FS2? FS2 had better sound, music and graphics, the missions were better and much more immersive, and the FS1 plot was thin enough to get a paper cut from. It was still a great game, but FS2 was just plain better.

Offline RandomTiger

Havent we had this before?

Overall FS2 is better cos it has all the good stuff of FS1 but better graphics etc

But FS1 I think had some great missions where you had to knock out big ship comm systems to stop them calling in backup and really good stuff like that.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
In my opinion both are good. But FS1 does have better missions/campaign. FS2 is better in everything else.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
DEAR GOD!! RUN!! IT'S THE FREESPACE VS. FREESPACE 2 THREAD AGAIN. QUICKLY, HIDE THE FLAMETHROWERS!!!!

freespace - big evil ship that has a design flaw that is used in the final mission of campaign
freespace 2 - a lot of big evil ships, who just overwhelm us, a story that compelles us from start to end and leaves open ends, and even more big-ass ships.

Freespace 2.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Solatar

I posted this not to long ago. And I must have been the fifteen millionth. I'm not replying to any more of these threads:)

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Too late! :D

Hasn't this debate been going on ever since 1999?
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Solatar

I meant by replying that I wasn't going to post my favorite, or vote in the poll.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
FS1 > FS2 - story, mood, cutscenes
FS2 > FS1 - technically, gameplay, blah blah blah
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
FS2 > FS1 - everything :D (except maybe the default multiplayer missions)

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
shut up all of you... FS1 0wned FS2...

perhaps the graphics weren't quite as good, but everything else (including cutscenes) were better

Offline Redfang

I don't know, I have only played FS2. :doubt:

Originally posted by Stealth
shut up all of you... FS1 0wned FS2...

perhaps the graphics weren't quite as good, but everything else (including cutscenes) were better

It's an opinion... :rolleyes:

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
Whilst the FS2 Bosch cutscenes were BORING and the Ancients ones were cool, FS1's ending was pathetic compared to FS2's.
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
------------

Offline Fry_Day

Bah, I missed the discussions in the VBB, so I'm asking right now.

For anyone saying that the FS1 story is better, the original FS1 (Not incl. Silent Threat, which I have yet to play) had a pretty thin plot, compared to the twists and turns of the FS2 plot.
I also think that the FS1 cinematics were a whole lot worse than FS2's. The Bosch monologues were a lot deeper and moodier than the Ancients' ones, and while I thought both intros were awsome, after two years without playing FS1, I watched the intro, and it seemed not that good at all compared to the FS2 one.
Hallfight is awsome, but Supernova is as good, IMO, and Bastion also rocks.
I admit FS1 set the mood better in some ways - The feeling of hopelessness in some of the breifings was well done, but FS2 had it's fair share of mood too, and while the FS1 breifing music is great, it's one tune, which makes it a bit difficult to set the mission's mood, compared to FS2's 5 different ones.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
Brief 05 was the best FS2 briefing music! :D

I like to use it for 'we hold them here or die trying' missions! :D
------------

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
For anyone saying that the FS1 story is better, the original FS1 (Not incl. Silent Threat, which I have yet to play) had a pretty thin plot, compared to the twists and turns of the FS2 plot.
I also think that the FS1 cinematics were a whole lot worse than FS2's. The Bosch monologues were a lot deeper and moodier than the Ancients' ones, and while I thought both intros were awsome, after two years without playing FS1, I watched the intro, and it seemed not that good at all compared to the FS2 one.
Hallfight is awsome, but Supernova is as good, IMO, and Bastion also rocks.
I admit FS1 set the mood better in some ways - The feeling of hopelessness in some of the breifings was well done, but FS2 had it's fair share of mood too, and while the FS1 breifing music is great, it's one tune, which makes it a bit difficult to set the mission's mood, compared to FS2's 5 different ones.

You pretty much summed up my thoughts there on story-related stuff. ;) Silent Threat had the potential for a really good story actually, since the same "twists and turns" that are in FS2 were also present there, but the ending was a major disappointment (both story and gameplay wise) and there were some poorly designed missions in there too.

I also found the Bosch monologues much better than the Ancient ones, mainly because most of the Ancient ones came up before the player had ever heard anything about the Ancients and were thus very confusing. The scripts used in the Bosch movies were also much better.

Although FS1 actually used several of the "nrml" soundtracks for briefings. (m2_nrml3, m4_nrml3, m5_nrml3 and m8_nrml3) I think with the music alone, I like the two games about equally.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by Fry_Day

1. Freespace 1 did not have Robert Loggia. End of story.
2. Freespace 2 progressed the story in missions, not only with cutscenes and briefings. When something historical happened, YOU were there.
3. Three words: Into the Lions den.

oh, and 2000 post milestone
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Gotta say that FS2 owned FS1, but FS1 owned any other space combat sim I've ever played.  Both are incredible games.

Bosch's monologues were definitely deeper and more meaningful than the Ancients, especially since all the Ancients cutscenes did was to tell the story of their demise.  Bosch's monologues gave you an insight into the mind of a madman, and moved the plot along much better than the Ancients "background information" scenes.  Hallfight and FS1 intro rocked, but so did FS2 Intro, Colossus, Bastion, and Supernova (plus the Bosch monologues of course).

I agree that FS1's plot was thin compared to FS2's twists and turns.  Nothing immersed me more in any game than while flying the TAG missile test, Kappa 3 comes out of nowhere and starts screaming his head off about some big ship.  Up until we actually find the Sathanas, every mission after that was just creepy....what really IS out there?  FS2 did that "question answering" a lot, which was awesome.  Where'd Kappa wing go?  Kappy 3 comes out of nowhere.  What's ETAK?  Bosch communicates with the Shivans (and the whole time they had us believing it was some super weapon, hell of a trick there!).  What the hell is the Sathanas fleet doing around Capella?  Supernova.  
I just can't remember anything that special from FS1.  Except "Oh my God, it's the Lucifer!!",  that mission was harsh.

Too bad they never told us where Bosch went.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
FS1 overall is better.  FS1 gave a sense of urgency while FS2 was like "Ohh, we're better than you damn shivans so sod off eh!"
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Solatar

Originally posted by MD-2389
FS1 overall is better.  FS1 gave a sense of urgency while FS2 was like "Ohh, we're better than you damn shivans so sod off eh!"

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! :D :D