Author Topic: The Star Citizen HLP Brigade  (Read 38382 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: The Star Citizen HLP Brigade
Well its ****ing horrible on the aurora.

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Gotta agree with the horribleness of the mouse controls. The Freelancer-style "virtual joystick" mouse was never something I particularly liked, and this implementation here is just .... ugh. I never felt in control of the spaceship, or able to do precision maneuvering the way I can in FS, which is grating.

What I find really horrible though is the HUD and damage feedback in particular. I was flying around in Vanduul Swarm mode yesterday, and wasn't aware that I was being shot at until the "Shield Low" betty warning played. This is not good. Related to that, who the **** thought that turning "Activate missile seeker" is an action that a player should be doing? Why aren't the missiles locking on automatically once in range?

And then there's the sound design. The sounds for the weapons are so puny and punch-less right now, it's not fun. Firing a weapon should feel awesome and cool and not be some cheesy pewpewpew.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm guessing the pew pew sound bits are placeholders.
Or at least, I would bloody well hope so, cause its far from impressive right now.

This is pretty much my experience with starcitizen right now:

Please fire the guy that designed this cockpit.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What I find supremely irritating is that they have all this screen real estate in the cockpit where they could put HUD elements just fine, but no, it all has to be on this stupid overlay. And apparently, noone thought that having an easily visible and readable shield/hull status display in plain view at all times was something that might be useful to have.

I am more than a little tempted to just make a post over there showing the Diaspora HUD and general layout to show how this could have been done much better.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
You probably should -- after all, many posters here have been thinking about how HUD elements and such should be presented in a space sim for a decade or more now.  That probably isn't true of the SC interface developers.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Lorric

Well, they did say these are coming in V0.9, among other things:

Improvements to the HUD to better differentiate the manufacturers, improve ITTS, and add mouse control functionality
Audio improvements with additional SFX, music, mix, and improvements to the dynamic music system

Surely now is the time to critique it while they're adding stuff to it and improving it.

Offline Luis Dias

That just looks exactly like how something should come out of a comittee-led checkbox design decision making, with a multi-millionnaire budget on their hands. Bloated, unintuitive, super-flashy, super-wow, absolutely inneficient, purposeless and frustrating. Filled with useless shiny ****.

Oh boy this game promises! I hope they amp up the polys and the normal mapping sizes though, that's still clearly sub-par and they should spend more tens of millions improving on that, totally the priority here.

My problem currently is that if I try to use the mouse I can't control pitch, and if I try to use joystick I can't control yaw. For some reason the default control scheme is buggered and can't be adjusted, so I'm waiting until they make reassigning controls available for us users.

Control remapping just isn't implemented yet. You can do it yourself though, here's a couple of threads on the subject...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/110454/actionmap-and-controller-mapping/p1

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/139163/do-your-own-hotas-mapping/p1
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I got my hand on Arena Commander, sure it's shiny, it's magnificent. But, I got no feeling on dogfights. Ok, that is an alpha. But, hell, Chris Roberts has delayed the Dogfight Modules several times. And I'm suspecting the release of the Alpha of Elite: Dangerous, made Chris to delay the DFM. Elite Dangerous is totally gorgeous in all way. The feeling to really pilot a ship, the sense of speed, the power of our guns, all of that make the dogfight very appealing.

It's not the case on Arena Commander. And, and the physics behavior is weird on Arena Commander with my Hotas X52. It's pretty hard to pinpoint my lasers to my target. The ships move pretty slowly. I don't have any feedback when I use afterburner. The same goes to when I got hit on my shield.

So, for now, if I have to recommand a space sim as it is, I recommend strongly Elite: Dangerous. :)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Anyone else getting nothing but connection failures? Pretty underwhelming module given how many delays there were.  :blah:

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
People need to be vocal on this, particularly the mod leaders and other teams here.
There's been some information to the fact that the engine wasn't setup to do 6dof but they have that mode internally.
Essentially they are nerfing it for "realism" by their definition.

If this ship doesn't get righted early on, we're looking at a vastly different universe than what we're used to or many are wanting.
Much less it's modding potential....
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Anyone else getting nothing but connection failures? Pretty underwhelming module given how many delays there were.  :blah:

I got this error. At first, I thought that deleting LoginData.json (that contains your credential to login) on CitizenClient et Client folder, will resolve  this case. I was working fine when I did this. But, finally I still got some times this error. I think it's more related to the authentification server stability.
So just try to relaunch the game a few seconds later.

My only complaint so far is how Star Citizen has reversed the yaw and roll controls in the default joystick control layout compared to other space games like X-wing or Freespace series.

Now it' more like WW2 simulators (IL-2 for example), but the huge and annoying difference is that the yaw control force is SUPER powerful. In IL-2, yaw force is very manageable and helps aiming, in Star citizen the yaw is actually MORE powerful than pitch, so if you want to make a complete 180 degree turn as fast as possible, you have to use yaw instead of pitch, which is very counterintuitive compared to every other flying simulator.

Simply by cutting down the power of yaw forces by 50 % would make the flying and especially aiming far more manageable.

we are  recruiting in ODDYSEE  org  .

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
This is a topic for the HLP group associated with SC.  Please do not post advertisements for your own or off-site groups, or they will be considered spam.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The next great starship finalist entries are in the hanger (though you cant enter them unforunately, no animations, just the mesh)

I personally fancy the 4 hoursmen design the most. Mostly because it doesn't look like a giant space attack helicopter and the engines are cool.

On a unrelated note, this part of the hanger gave me a big thunderbirds vibe
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Just wanted to add my 2p on the Arena Commander after having played it: good god I hope they change the flight model. I was half hoping what I'd read from this topic was exaggerated, but it really isn't. The virtual joystick is just useless in the extreme, hitting ctrl + F helps somewhat, but the constant over-correcting by the ship itself just makes flying completely joyless. Incidentally: is there a way to properly invert the mouse? The ingame option doesn't work.

I wasn't expecting to be blown away by this as it is an alpha, but I wasn't expecting to actively dislike it either. :( I was really hoping to have something to play with tbh, the flying in BF4 is better than this crap and that game's not even a dedicated flight sim ffs. And the worst part of it all is just seeing my Aurora LN sitting in the hangar and still not being able to fly it. Why can't I fly my ship? It's the same as the freaking trainer!

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
You have to modify a XML file to change or invert the keybinds at all.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/110454/

I'd also note, having played with an xbox controller, I understand why it is the way it is.
Using the 360 controller (which Chris Roberts uses a lot) is how it was designed for in terms of the yaw pitch and roll.
The coupling modes make sense when you play it that way, almost feels like a regular plane sim although gimped by the number of binds
they have going on.

It needs a dump truck of polish and focusing on the game as a keyboard and joystick sim, not a "port in the making."
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 01:56:42 pm by JGZinv »
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Gameplay-wise is where I have the biggest concerns. So far I don't see much evidence for being able to actually do newtonian flight, I couldn't find any particular key or control to enable unassisted inertial flight (ie. using RCS to control ship attitude and main thruster to change the velocity vector). They will probably address this in the future since from what I could see, the physics itself is working right - thrusters working in the right directions when you're changing direction or speed -  it's just that all the computer-controlled flight management is stifling the full potential of the spacecraft. Support for head tracking doesn't seem to be working yet either.

Just a heads up - you can actually do Diaspora-style glides by decoupling your engine with caps lock and using the 'qweasd' keys for translating. If by head tracking you mean looking around the cockpit then yeah you can do that, but I don't think it has trackir support or anything like that.

Offline djsf35

Definitely in need of more work but it seems promising to me. If the dead zone was to be shrunk considerably it would definitely help when evading incoming fire. The aurora is absolutely terrible compared the 300i.