Author Topic: Games you hated but now like (or did like)  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Roanoke

Games you hated but now like (or did like)
Inspired by the joystick thread, what games did you hate at first but eventually learned to like ?

1) Would be systemshock2 because I had only ever used a joystick prior and ss2 was mouse/keyboard only. Once I got use to a mouse I soon learned to buzz off it.

2) Homeworld. I couldn't see how I was supposed to nail the Kushan (I always use Taiidan) fleet that had destroyed Kaarhak with a few poxy Assault Frigates and gave up on the game about five times. Untill I learned to capture everything and how devestating corvettes are against Fighters and Bombers against Capital ships.

Can't think of anymore right now but HW and SS2 are amongst my all-time-beastest-games-evar.

Offline Centrixo

Re: Games you hated but now like (or did like)
hehe. now your asking.. ummm.

Doom. i thought it was absoutle crud, i was one of these people thinking, there just trying to kill corridor 7 off, which itself was a rip of doom. i played it and i found it ok, there are other game i know of that used the same engine at the time. it is now a cool game.

Blood. i hated it, then i liked it, now i hate it again.

i have more...
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Centrixo

.. Hidden and Dangerous 2. i never really liked h&d1 but i found H&D2 more of something to laugh at nowadays, its a grand game. especially shooting that tank out with a panzer on the abandoned airfield on the 3 mission. before i thought it was the same, in lots of ways it is, but H&D did not have that spark H&D2 has.

Commander Keen. i hated that game, i always played something like Halloween Harry or Duke 1 or 2. but but now i like it, it is a complete distraction from main life.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Halo. When it came out, I wasn't a fan of FPS games on console. I hated GoldenEye and despised Perfect Dark, and when I heard people saying Halo was the greatest thing since sliced bread, I just ignored it. I mean, my roommate at the time had an Xbox, and got the game, so I did play it, and it didn't sway me. That is until we played some multiplayer. Man oh man what a blast it was. That game is the reason I got into LAN parties. Halo, in my mind, has always been about the multiplayer and not the singleplayer.
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Freespace 1...

Ya..used to hate it..didn't even want to play it...go fiure :D

but one I tried the demo I was HOOKED.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
FS1, yeah. I kept failing the training so I got bored... It was quite a few years ago.

But then I played it when I was about 10 and got hooked...

@ 11 I got FS2 and yada yada.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i actually felt that way about quake and starcraft initially. this was during the height of my descent 2 fanboism. i remember we played quake on the lan in my computer science class the last 2 days before the end of the semester. i didnt like it much. everyone thought me wierd because i used the keyboard to play, configured in a manor similar to the descent 2 default keys. infact i played fpses that way even through quake 2. i had lighning fast reflexes on the numpad. later on i said what the hell, and bought quake out of a bargin bin somewhere.

starcraft i had got for a certain facist holiday which was stolen from well meaning pagans (ie christmas). and having been an old fan of 3d games as far back as elite, i couldnt bring my self to play a sprite based game. earlyer i had infact turned down an invite to a lan party because i didnt want to play a game that was in essence 2d. but when i got the game as what amounted to a freebee, i thought id play it once and shelf it like the other games i get that i dont like. but i was totally hooked.

also honorable mention of doom, i never really hated the game, but rather just didnt play it because it was only 2.5d. i recognized it as old software and didnt pay it much attention. but theese days i realize how good a game it was.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Minesweeper.

Yes, Minesweeper. I used to hate it back when I was about 10. Now if I'm not careful when I open it up it will eat my time like crazy.

ORB too, I started playing and thought "ah crap, homeworld clone." And yes, it does play a bit like that to some extent. But it is also much, much more than a Homeworld clone.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Narvi

Half Life 1.

I still don't like it that much, but at least I can finish it without rolling my eyes all the time. The first time I gave up around the office level. Got to love Half Life 2 for making me (slightly) appreciate it's inferior original.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Solitare.  I quickly realized is passes the time at work.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.
Solitare: Why would you play that? :confused:

Anyway, I sometimes swap my liking of games to others, I play it heaps then get bored, so I play another.
Then I get bored of that one and I play another.

Oops, I don't think i have that many decent games to choose from!!!
I Have recently got back into FS2 - I'm going to try out The  Babylon Project - The screenshots look really good.

Here are some of the games I play - (they don't seem to be very well known)
Jazz jackrabbit 2 (My friend turned the school computer computer system into a plague of people playing JJ2, Doom, Wolfenstein and some really crappy DOS game)
MotoGP 500 (haven't played that for a few years)
Motocross Madness 2 trail (lost in the explosion of my other PC)
Age of Empires 1 (lost that CD, which is annoying)
Windows Pinball (scarcly)
Minesweeper (Very rarely)

Forgot or can't be bothered with the others.
His legacy will last until the beginning.

Offline Dysko

I hated Minesweeper.
Now we organise Minesweeper tournaments on our class' computer during breaks.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Games you hated but now like (or did like)??????????

All the games I had bought that wouldn't run on my old (OLD!!!) computer. I love 'em now cos I got a new computer that will run them easily!  New computers FTW :yes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

eesh...halo (damn halo is a really long story), freelancer, star wars galaxies, World of warcraft (loved it for a few days, hated it, loved it again, and now i've been hating it for 3 months), Medal of Honor: allied assault, and EVE online(though now i hate that too; i thought it was gonna be really awesome but i knew how much the combat sucked)
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Nexus the Jupiter Incident.

I have a love/hate relationship with it.  Its beautiful and funny(watch the credits some time), but the learning curve is steep and there is a lot of micro management, makes Homeworld II seem like fleet command for dummies.  Once you get a handle on how to properly fly and fight its pretty fun but then they throw impossible mission after impossible mission at you.  Missions that make you want to pull your hair out, froth at the mouth and chew on pillows.  It's a great game, with very good tactical game play especially for controlling small battle-groups.  But after the 25th failed attempt to sneak up on the enemy base you want to rip the CD out and stick it in the microwave :P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

But after the 25th failed attempt to sneak up on the enemy base you want to rip the CD out and stick it in the microwave :P

As the "beating the death star" guide for Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance once said...

Microwaving your disk may be funny (you'll see blue lightning sparks like emperor palpatine!), but in the end you'll regret that you never got the chance to finish the game
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.