Author Topic: Games of a certain era  (Read 12784 times)

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Re: Games of a certain era
... since I was 3 (1994)...

I think I'm going to go have a large stiff drink. So I can not feel so old.

Not old, just a veteran of years.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations

*clinks the glass*

Right there with ya bruttha.

Most of these games I remember playing.  I remember when SWotL was first published.  Heck, I remember playing a standup arcade pong in a pizza place, and the first video pinball games.

This thread makes me want to pull my VIC 20/Apple IIe/Amiga 500 out of the garage and hook it up again.

*sigh*

You kids...  Up hill both ways, and get off my lawn.  :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:31:57 am by rev_posix »
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

*clinks the glass*

Right there with ya bruttha.

Most of these games I remember playing.  I remember when SWotL was first published.  Heck, I remember playing a standup arcade pong in a pizza place, and the first video pinball games.

This thread makes me want to pull my VIC 20/Apple IIe/Amiga 500 out of the garage and hook it up again.

*sigh*

You kids...  Up hill both ways, and get off my lawn.  :D

mum and dad never let me play on archade machines :(
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I remember when SWotL was first published.

Oh man, SWotL, Battlehawks 1942, Their Finest Hour: the Battle of Britain. Those were good games. I remember when the Aces series replaced them and I was disappointed because they didn't have the big campaign mechanic and their ToDs were short.

(And no flying the B-17.)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:50:06 am by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Oh man, SWotL, Battlehawks 1942, Their Finest Hour: the Battle of Britain. Those were good games. I remember when the Aces series replaced them and I was disappointed because they didn't have the big campaign mechanic and their ToDs were short.

Those were quite good. I played BoB and it's expansion quite a bit, then I got the budget label version of Battlehawks 1942 a few years later. The manuals for those games were almost like history books. I can also remember the "radio wheel" copy protection device that BoB had. Later I got the Aces collection (by Dynamix) for the PC; in fact I was rummaging around the loft two days ago and pulled it out along with a load of other oldies (probably too many to list here). I missed out on SWotL, which I really wanted to play, because it wasn't released for the Atari ST which was my main gaming platform when I was younger. But IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 kind of makes up for that.

Offline sayoqod

All you old-timers make me feel so young. I was 2 in 1994....
" Twas brillig and the slithy toves/did gyre and gimble through the wabe/ all mimsy were the borogroves/ and the mome raths outgrabe"

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Those were quite good. I played BoB and it's expansion quite a bit, then I got the budget label version of Battlehawks 1942 a few years later. The manuals for those games were almost like history books. I can also remember the "radio wheel" copy protection device that BoB had. Later I got the Aces collection (by Dynamix) for the PC; in fact I was rummaging around the loft two days ago and pulled it out along with a load of other oldies (probably too many to list here). I missed out on SWotL, which I really wanted to play, because it wasn't released for the Atari ST which was my main gaming platform when I was younger. But IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 kind of makes up for that.

I miss thre old days when you got a decent sized manual with every game to flick through while you were waiting for the game to install.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
All you old-timers make me feel so young. I was 2 in 1994....

I was 22 :nervous:

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I wasn't even born in 1994. :nervous:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I've always felt one of the creepiest moments in my life was realising I'd written my first line of Machine Code before anyone else in my College Class had been born, except the teacher.

Offline Mika

Did somebody mention Zaxxon? Count me in! And if one mentions Zaxxon, one has to mention Sopwith!

And how could I forget Laser Squad?

Also, more recent ones like Worms (first one) was a blast back then when playing with friends. Molez was great too, especially when 4 people crammed to play it with a single keyboard!

Dune II, this one I didn't expect

And Falcon 3.0. Never forget that.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Just started playing Final Fantasy a few hours ago. The very first one.

Seems kinda neat.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

Curse you! I forgot how much I loved that game and now I'm being sucked back in....

Offline sayoqod

Seems kinda neat.

I keep meaning to get into that...
" Twas brillig and the slithy toves/did gyre and gimble through the wabe/ all mimsy were the borogroves/ and the mome raths outgrabe"

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Prince of Persia, (the original), Pitfall,  Asteroids and Another World!  :nod: :yes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I wasn't even born in 1994. :nervous:

Now I feel old.

Offline Mika

Curse you! I forgot how much I loved that game and now I'm being sucked back in....

Would you like to remember more? A welcome find as well. If they only finished it some day...

EDIT: Thanks for reminding me of Another World! I don't remember how many times we died on the first screen...
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
From the days when EA was still a new company, had shapes as it's logo and actually made games vs buying sports games from other companies:

Mail Order Monsters:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLcYHlmKM7U

M.U.L.E.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6L6MhSgpgo&feature=related
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
As strange as it may seem, EA has been fairly awesome over the past few years in terms of promoting new IPs and treating its developers well.  Activision is basically the new EA.

Yeah, since they have that new CEO they are still quite business like, but (much) less scared to invest in something new and innovative. It is why Bioware and Pandemic joined EA.

Seems kinda neat.

Seriously, I've got some kind of FinalFantasiofobia. Ever since someone said that someone called Sephiroth from FF7 is awesome because he has a big sword which is 6 meters long (giggles, giggles), and that is apperently the most important reason I should play that game, I am staying away from it.