Author Topic: 3.6.10 Media VPs Discussion Thread  (Read 304016 times)

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Re: RELEASE: 3.6.10 Media VPs
Awesomness! Downloading now! :D ;7
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
You mean the flickering things behind secondary thruster glows, right? I was also encountering them while working on TBP thrusters glows. I think it has something to with the way the engine handles UV transformation on the secondary glows, because the flickering things seem to be remnants of the glow image wrapped around (in UV space) to the other end of the glow. I know this sounds confusing, but what I mean is that if you make the left-most row of pixels in the glow image (the left side is the one near the thruster) completely black, the flickering disappears.
So I think that left-most row of pixels somehow ends up partially on the other end of the effect ingame, maybe due to some rounding error in the UV transformation process ?!?

Oh we've tried that. In fact the thrusters in these VP's do have that one pixel buffer zone on their left edge but while it seems to reduce the flickering, the bloody thing still appears in certain conditions which seem to largely depend on the positions of moon and the planets as far as we can tell. It's a very inconsistent persistent bug, the worst kind of bug possible.

And regardless, fixing code/driver bugs by editing content is pretty much analog to breaking web pages to make Internet Explorer show them correctly - not a good idea in general... :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Ah ok, then we're all equally stumped ;) And I agree that it should be solved code-wise, because it shouldn't happen in the first place, even when the left edge pixels are not black.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Hey, I got some awesome screenshots from these new mediavps.

For these 2 you gotta take a good look:

This one's the best:

Hashes are correct, and they match the ones posted on the first page. It's only the Shivan beams that are freaking out.

On the other hand, terran and vasudan beam effect edges appear too big for the beamglows, as I can see those edges. But the Shivan ones are more serious than that...

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
What's the first two supposed to be?

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Dark cubes around the bitmaps.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Morning Star is the first, Lamprey the second. It's written in the screenshot, lower right corner.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Right, more proof that I can't read. This case is really starting to be stacked against me :p

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Yeah, looking through the MV_Effects.vp reveals some irrelevant files that have slipped through the net (unused shivan beamglow [S_BeamGlow.dds] and terran beam textures beam-green*) as well as a bunch of ani files that still aren't converted to EFF/DDS format... Oh well, work to do for the future MediaVP's. :rolleyes:

What comes to those strange faint boxes, I'm not sure what's up with them. Certainly they aren't ideally made effects, but I can't help but wonder if they are still intentionally as they are, even despite the, eh, strange design. In-game they are only visible if you stop the game and look real close at the weapon effects; otherwise they create a faint glow.

I'm leaving this for someone who has done something with the weapon effects before and perhaps even knows what's going on with them.

The Shivan beam looks like some texture gets consistently corrupted during caching for some reason I can't really fathom. The files are intact on the VP, since hashes match, but something goes wrong during the process from HD to display, but what exactly causes it is a difficult question...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Excelent. Trying to download now.

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
WOW! Too bad my current computer can't even run FS2. Gotta wait for Christmas..!!
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
For anyone that's interested my MediaVP standalone is now running these.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline dANGER boy

• New and improved, v2.0
    • Vortex Research & Design
Oh my god!  :eek: I didn't think Christmas was for another 3 weeks....

This is the best Christmas present anybody could give me!!!

Thanks to everybody that contributed!!
[21:39] * Now talking in #hard-light
[21:39] <Zacam> Dear. God.
[21:39] * dANGER_boy is now known as God
[21:39] <God> Yes, I'm here
[21:39] <Zacam> I'd like to file a bug report.
[21:40] * thesizzler is now known as Jesus
[21:40] <Jesus> sup
[21:40] <God> Check with my secretary.
[21:40] <Jesus> hey dad
[21:40] <Zacam> Regarding the INANE flaws in human intelligence and the equality (or disparity) therof.
[21:40] * God points at Jesus
[21:40] * mura is now known as WhitePidgeon
[21:40] <+WhitePidgeon> kuuuuu

Offline Shade

Looks very nice indeed from what I've seen so far on a quick test run :yes:
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
This is wooonderful!! Thanks to the whole FSU team :yes:

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
kneels at the alter of light and smiles as i repeat :

i love you all

yes i am a graphics whore

i love you all.........

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Me love you long time.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Sadly, the downloads don't support the resume option. This is bad because I'll never be able to DL big files without experiencing any connection problems that force me to restart the DL. :(
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
FAN-TAS-TIC!! :jaw: That was about time. :D

I've got the same problem as ShadowGorrath with the shivan beams and all my missiles have the same, grey trail. But besides those small bugs it's just... whoa! Especially the HTL Iceni...

Oh, by the way, something makes me think the Music in this MediaVP package has somehow downgraded from the one in the Beta package.

(It has.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:22:01 pm by -Joshua- »