Author Topic: Uncharted 4 - Raiding Tombs for fun and profit  (Read 1293 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Uncharted 4 - Raiding Tombs for fun and profit
I finally bought myself a PS4 last week. Mostly to play Destiny, but also to revisit Naughty Dogs' games; The previous Uncharted games and The Last Of Us are so much better when they're not held back by the PS3 hardware, it's astonishing (Although the visual polish for Uncharted 1 highlights its shortcomings in terms of game design rather drastically).

Anyway, this week Uncharted 4 came out. As a fan of the series, I was kinda obligated to check it out, and oh boy is it good. In terms of sheer wow factor, this is one of the first games I've played where it's clear that this is definitely a new generation of videogame tech; The vistas this game presents without ever dropping below a buttery smooth framerate, the animation quality, the fact that almost nothing in it is prerendered (The Uncharted series has always tried its best to avoid loading screens, using movies to cover scene changes).
In terms of gameplay, Naughty Dog has for some reason decided to change the control scheme for this one, a decision which is really irritating given that said scheme stayed more or less constant for the previous games (and has been changed to be constant for the Remastered versions).

Storywise, I feel like this isn't ND's best work. A lot of this is due to the early game needing to set up the relationship between Nate and his long-lost Brother, a person who hasn't been mentioned at all prior to that point. I am not finished with the game yet, but it feels to me like one of the characters introduced in earlier games (like Chloe or Cutter from Uncharted 2 and 3) could have filled his role in the narrative just as well.

But whatever. It's a new Uncharted game, and if you've loved the series so far (or games like the most recent Tomb Raiders), chances are you're gonna enjoy this one too.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Uncharted 4 - Raiding Tombs for fun and profit
Will never buy a PS4, but I'm glad people are enjoying it. Watching the let's plays it seems gorgeous. Absolute visual artistry. Nothing that can be compared to the majesty of Star Citizen, of course, but hey.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Will never buy a PS4, but I'm glad people are enjoying it. Watching the let's plays it seems gorgeous. Absolute visual artistry. Nothing that can be compared to the majesty of Star Citizen, of course, but hey.

Yeah, Naughty Dog is really amazing at building spaces that feel real. There's a degree of stylization to it all that handily avoids the uncanny valley (for me at least, YMMV).

Also, there's this segment early on where the game shows us Nate and Elena living together that has a small segment in it that is literally playing Crash Bandicoot on a PS1 which is all sorts of amazing.

Offline Luis Dias

Yes I saw that. Really cool. Regarding the aesthetics, this seems to be achieved through making every piece of visual art equidistant in its realistic / abstract / stylized degree. That is, there's never any piece of thing that is much "more" or much "less" realistic than any other, giving its world a sense of consistency, thus validity. It's the same thing that Pixar does. If a movie is to be highly stylized, then everything in that movie is equally stylized. If it's to be more realistic, then everything is. Uncanney Valleyness seems to stem from stylized expectations not being met by what you are seeing (heterogeneity). It's very hard to maintain. See Tintin for a good exmaple on how it almost achieves it but not really.

e: This might interest you: http://www.gdcvault.com/search.php#&category=free&firstfocus=&keyword=allegorithmic&conference_id=
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:01:25 am by Luis Dias »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Finished the game. It has gone up considerably in my estimation and now sits more or less equal to Uncharted 2. The reason for this is a really good second act and a really good ending; I just hope that Naughty Dog can stick to its guns and not make more adventures with Nathan Drake anymore.