Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 270215 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
And now we wait till they actually get a computer voice ingame  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
So how many people would be interested in forming an HLP merc corps if MWO adds that mechanic?
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

I would, assuming PGI makes the game fun to play for freebies (economy fixes, heat fixes, weapon balance in general, etc.).
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm in.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
There's an open 'Hard-Light' channel in the comms program that people can use to coordinate lances. Just putting that out there.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
I'm part of another unit right now, and so far, from what I've heard, they are still trying to implement electronics (such as the Beagle Active Probe system, the Artemis IV Guidance, and anti-LRM ECM just so some of us LRM boats don't go off saturating everyone to crack).

Thankfully, some of the Unseen may be making an appearance in around next year or so.

The one thing I'm a little hateful for (anyone who played the classic table top, pitch in) is that if you have an XL engine attached, only ONE torso section has to be critted just to make your Mech dead, unlike what happened in 2, 3 and 4.

Plus,
I took a Cat and loaded it up with as many SRMs as possible.  When it works it works hilariously well.

Observations in battle lead me to assume opposing pilots' must have an internal monologue something similar to the following:

"Ha Ha look at this stupid noob running point with a long range support mech, what a b..."

WOOSH BAM KAPOW

"... OMGWTF Hobble AWAY! Hobble AWAY!"

Streak systems are very efficient, and I learned that the hard way once. Being a Fire Support pilot, I tend to ignore runners until they get in my face. I always focus on saturating anything that's not a runner.

I wonder if everyone's taking the Cata (which I infamously remember for being easy headshot bait in Mercenaries for Mech2) mainly because it reminds all the past players of how iconic and balanced-ish the Clan Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) was back in the day... since we don't have the old when-FASA-was-still-on Unseen Mechs to play with yet.
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The one thing I'm a little hateful for (anyone who played the classic table top, pitch in) is that if you have an XL engine attached, only ONE torso section has to be critted just to make your Mech dead, unlike what happened in 2, 3 and 4.

This is expected behaviour for IS XL engines, which in the tabletop put 3 engine critical hit locations in each side torso. Losing a side torso will thus inflict three engine crits on a Mech, and given that the rules state that three engine crits cause an immediate death, well....

(Clan XL engines, on the other hand, only place 2 critical locations into each side torso, making the prospect of losing one less deadly)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I wonder if everyone's taking the Cata (which I infamously remember for being easy headshot bait in Mercenaries for Mech2) mainly because it reminds all the past players of how iconic and balanced-ish the Clan Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) was back in the day... since we don't have the old when-FASA-was-still-on Unseen Mechs to play with yet.

I actually enjoy Hunchies, Jenners and Cents, the SRM Cat is used simply because I can load a years worth of SRM production in its magazines.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The Cat is loaded because of K2.

Also LRMs are currently brokenish.

A Feddie Story

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

Also LRMs are currently brokenish.

The only thing I heard to actively counter that so far would be the Raven, because I heard ECM packages are supposed to counter NARC beacons, Beagle Active Probe, and Artemis IV (supposedly by widening the spread of LRMs), but not indirect LOS by support or marking by spotters. Still, electronics has not been fully implemented yet (so far, your best bet of countering MSL boats are AMS, which has at least one dedicated hardpoint on almost every mech).
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
My preferred mech is a Dragon DRG-1N loaded with either a gauss rifle and 4 tons of ammo or an AC/2, LL, AMS, SSRM2 and 4 SHS.  Fire support all the way.  Also quick enough to high-tail it back to base and block disengaged scout forces from capping when there's 1 second left on the cap timer.  Ooh fun times.

And what program is used to coordinate lances?  I've seen mumble, teamspeak and this random C3 voip thing...

Also if Ohmwrecker's modules sheet is to be believed, the modules they have planned are going to make these battles VERY interesting.

One bit of meta-gaming that annoys the **** out of me is when a clan drops lances on both sides of a battle, one declares and the other stays silent, you fight them well, oblivious to the premade lance on your side, and the OpFor is obviously losing, and then their leader says 'good game, lemming lance, go' and immediately 2/3rds your remaining forces DELIBERATELY OUT-OF-BOUNDS SUICIDE AND HAND THE ENEMY VICTORY   :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:.

THIS FORUM DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH SMILIES TO ADEQUATELY EXPRESS MY RAGE.  There are very few things I will hold a grudge for, but **** like this is enough for me to want to shank these rats even if they're on my team.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:02:39 pm by esarai »
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

And what program is used to coordinate lances?  I've seen mumble, teamspeak and this random C3 voip thing...

One bit of meta-gaming that annoys the **** out of me is when a clan drops lances on both sides of a battle, one declares and the other stays silent, you fight them well, oblivious to the premade lance on your side, and the OpFor is obviously losing, and then their leader says 'good game, lemming lance, go' and immediately 2/3rds your remaining forces DELIBERATELY OUT-OF-BOUNDS SUICIDE AND HAND THE ENEMY VICTORY   :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:.

THIS FORUM DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH SMILIES TO ADEQUATELY EXPRESS MY RAGE.  There are very few things I will hold a grudge for, but **** like this is enough for me to want to shank these rats even if they're on my team.

Certain squadrons tend to use TeamSpeak 3 over audio. Otherwise, you talk to all your team over text with the Y key.

I have not seen that kind of team incompetence so far. Every fight I see, everyone fights and dies to the bloody death. Worst case scenario, everyone on my side dies like sheep because Admiral Ackbar's on our side and we don't know it until half the team drops like flies against a fire pocket filled with K2s and ASDs.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Trying to make the game work with my steam overlay, but like every other thing that's running via a launcher it doesn't want to do the handoff.

Disregard this, UAC is dumb and so am I.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:53:00 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft

*snipped*

Certain squadrons tend to use TeamSpeak 3 over audio. Otherwise, you talk to all your team over text with the Y key.

I have not seen that kind of team incompetence so far. Every fight I see, everyone fights and dies to the bloody death. Worst case scenario, everyone on my side dies like sheep because Admiral Ackbar's on our side and we don't know it until half the team drops like flies against a fire pocket filled with K2s and ASDs.

Ouch that's a dick maneuver right there.  In most games both sides fight honorably... it's just when the shady crap breaks out.  But when there isn't shady crap, god there can be some entertaining engagements, like getting snuck up on by a Jenner, wading 200 m out in front of your line so that all your team can nail the Jenny to the wall, and then ducking back to cover while the enemy takes potshots at you and misses horribly.

What's you guys' favorite map so far?  Personally I like Caustic, just because it isn't covered in buildings that turn it into a twitch-shooting contest (or a clusterf**k urban brawl).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:12:41 pm by esarai »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Heat management on Caustic drives me to distraction, particularly fighting on the hill or in the caldera.

Probably Forest Colony. I've just seen the snowy version a couple times but I haven't been around it much.

A Feddie Story

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

But when there isn't shady crap, god there can be some entertaining engagements, like getting snuck up on by a Jenner, wading 200 m out in front of your line so that all your team can nail the Jenny to the wall, and then ducking back to cover while the enemy takes potshots at you and misses horribly.

What's you guys' favorite map so far?  Personally I like Caustic, just because it isn't covered in buildings that turn it into a twitch-shooting contest (or a clusterf**k urban brawl).

You should have been where I was earlier today, one set of opponents in River City was pretty much chock full of runners with two stock Catas. (I was playing ring around the rosy until a team mate threw a Gauss at the SRM-loaded Jenner's face point blank.)

I'm a wide, open field nut, so I'd have to say wherever the frozen plains are. I don't have the chops to do urban combat. (That is where ballistic weapons truly shine.)

And now, a word from Admiral Ackbar on urban combat.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I don't like any of the maps, I don't think any of them are really designed well or look good.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I like River City when I spawn down-river.  And I like the new snow-version of the forest.

Other than that, they can all pretty much die in a fire.

I'd love to see a basic map made out of cell-shaded cubes (call it a training simulation if you want) and other simple geometric shapes.  And I'd REALLY like a map where the mechs are tiny and the world is huge: say, a bedroom / kitchen / living room.