Author Topic: RELEASE: Transcend  (Read 176225 times)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
just finished this, talk about freaky.. nice one.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Kie99

YSI Manager is here.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Played this one. Plot was great. And from time really freaky and scary. Just great.

Mission design apart from the marvellous plot however... Identical missions one after another. I really got bored, evade the cap ships, destroy wing or two of fighters, jump , repeat and repeat... All while battling mostly against fast interceptors with one of the slowest fighters.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

I get this error when one of the mission loads (don't know which mission it is exactly... somewhere between 8th or 10th
The game crashes as soon as the mission starts to load, and the desktop shows up with the error window:

Error: Unrecognized operator.

In sexpression: ( when
   ( is-event-true-delay "genarrive" 41 )
   ( fade-out )
   ( self-destruct
      "Ulresh"
      "Nu 3"
      "Nu 1"
      "Cancer 3"
      "Virgo 1"
      "Virgo 3"
   )
   ( ship-vanish
      "Krace"
      "Xi 2"
      "Xi 1"
      "Xi 4"
      "Cancer 4"
      "Cancer 2"
      "Nu 2"
      "Nu 4"
      "Virgo 2"
      "Virgo 4"
   )
   ( send-message-list
      "Ulresh"
      "High"
      "Ulresh_2"
      "Generation"
      "High"
      "Generation_3"
      "Xi 3"
      "Normal"
      "Xi_1"
      "Generation"
      "High"
      "Generation_4"
   )
)
(Error appears to be: fade-out)
File:E:\Languages\Visual Studio Projects\Visual C++\fs2_open\code\Mission\MissionParse.cpp
Line: 4517

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Sounds like you're using too old of a build.

Originally posted by Ransom Arceihn
Also Transcend requires a fairly recent build of FS Open - the 20050722 build works fine for me, but anything within last month or so should be okay.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 09:09:14 pm by 2005 »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i myself recommend using goob's 2005728 build or anything higher than that. :)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

woo...... just finished it... wow...
that's what I call pushing the limits of FRED off the edges.. these are not kind of missions you see every day ...
Bleh... I need to get another voice than stupid Microsoft Sam for the speeches tho :P

... anyways... verrrry good job

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:welcome: (yes, it may be a bit late, but what the hell)

turn the speech off then. :p

and Transcend doesn't exactly push the limits of FS2_Open anymore, with all the new builds. ;)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It didn't push the limit even back then. I've got a lot of respect for the campaign but in terms of stuff using new FRED features there isn't that much except for the last couple of missions (Ransom did use a fair few new things in that last mission).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I recently replayed the campaign, and I've got to say the endless 'run for the node' and 'fight endless waves' missions were much more irritating a second time around.  Especially since you just kill the first two cruisers yourself, but they come back every mission... :)

Offline grilox

I just beat it, and wow was it an experiance.

Spoiler:
On the note of the transcendant being one of the sync crew, I think he was phi 2? The one that the never found in the nebula, but when they thought they found him it was beta 2.. the one that had just warped out latest before Sync activated.. Just my 3 cents.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I love how many theories this campaign has spawned. I think if/when I ever make a campaign, I'm just going to be lazy and leave everything unexplained. :p
-C

That's funny. In  the very first mission I have the objective to "Exi Asteroid Field" But I can fly 50 km away from it, the objective still shows as not done. What do I have to do there? I already waited 20 minutes.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
That bug's been brought up before. I must have forgotten to update the main download.

Put this in Transcend/data/missions/

Replacement mission file

When I put that file into the mission folder, is the original replaced? I just ask because I only have two vp files, nothing more

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Yes, files in the data folders overwrite any duplicates in VPs.

Not to bump the thread, but this campaign was awesome. I actually spent the day playing it, and I loved it.

It allwas balanced pretty well, except the last mission, which I had to re-try 4 times, last one on very easy. Those last missions were pretty great, and the cutscene really worked too!

(Are there any plans for voice-acting this campaign?)
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
It's a possibility, but I've been somewhat hesitant to do it as the decision to only have a certain part voiced in the campaign was deliberate. Nonetheless voicing can add a lot to it and it'll probably happen at some point, but not for a while and likely not before I've finished my current project.

Offline bfobar

I just played this one through and my hat's off to Ransom. CREEEEEPY! Not good to play with the lights off at 1 in the morning.

Interesting campaign.  I'm glad the SCP has a simu-voice.  Even so I had to occasionally pause to catch up on the dialogue.

I rather liked Sync more after I finished Sync (I started that after Transcend).  At least the rewind video was nifty.

Overall, it has the creep factor which was nice.  I really was thinking "WTF is going on".