Author Topic: [DUMP]Wing Commander Advance Guard  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
[DUMP]Wing Commander Advance Guard

Downloab (275 MB) (this link will likely be gone within a couple of months, please mirror!)

Some of you may remember a WC2-themed mod I was working on for Wing Commander Saga Prologue. I'm sure those of you who do will not be surprised to know that it's dead. All my projects are dead, but this one is the most able to be dumped immediately since it uses assets from a relatively small number of people. Included in this zip is my complete dev folder for Wing Commander Advance Guard, last modified sometime in 2016. Inside you'll find:

* Over 60 ships from the Wing Commander 1/2 era, with WC2-style gameplay balance (glass cannons ahoy!) and physics, as well as a complete set of weapons from the era
* 3-4 missions in various states of completion along with a couple dozen test missions and a port from Talon1024's WCHF
* A decent base for anyone who wants to build a WC1/2 style campaign

The story of this mod was essentially meant to be a do-over of WC3, without all the parts of WC3 I hate: the FMVs, the ugly, blocky ship designs, the stupidly thick shields that slow gameplay down, the awful way the Kilrathi get portrayed, the thinly veiled defense of the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki (the T-bomb), the lack of any visual or aesthetic continuity with WC1/2, etc. The story was that the Kilrathi Empire, in 2669, is not winning the war but losing, and the Confed fleet under Admiral Tolwyn is banging on the door of Kilrah sector. You are a pilot reassigned to the Bengal-class carrier TCS Ulysses as a part of a vanguard attack on Kilrah sector, but you discover that Tolwyn does not merely plan to destroy the Kilrathi Empire but glass Kilrah, annex the entire Kilrathi Empire for into the Confederation, and gradually wipe out the Kilrathi as a species. This leads to a civil war within the Confederation as news came out, giving Emperor Thrakhath (formerly a prince, but he decided to hurry up his grandfather's demise and take the throne for himself) a window to launch the Kilrathi Empire's final gambit: a blitzkrieg invasion of the Confederation with a fleet of newly-constructed "super-dreadnoughts" (think the plot of Standoff, but less ludicrous) to destroy Earth and shatter the Confederation in one fell swoop.

Act II of the campaign would mostly be about stopping the Kilrathi advance, with one of two possible bad endings if you fail, depending on whether you win the last losing path system (Sol) or not. After that's wrapped up, you would have to choose sides for Act III, either choosing Tolwyn's exterminationist faction (where you will, as well, as regular missions, fight "boss battles" with Christopher Blair and Hobbes in the Kilrah system), or Admiral Glock's anti-exterminationist factions (where your "boss battles" are Thrakhath and Maniac), and both paths of Act III have unique missions. If you win the game for Tolwyn, Kilrah is destroyed and the genocide of the Kilrathi begins; if you win for Glock, Hobbes leads a coup against the Empire, declares a republic with his co-conspirators, and signs a peace treaty to end the Terran-Kilrathi war.

The player character is a do-over of that insufferable twit Michael Casey from WCP, this time as Iceman's adopted son instead of his biological one (and Iceman is still alive because **** WCP), and a virulent cat hater whose parents were killed by Kilrathi, and his character arc revolves on whether or not (largely up to your actions as a player and your choice of sides in Act III) he can come to see Kilrathi as people and let go of his genocidal rage.

Obviously this was wildly ambitious and I never would have been able to complete all this in hindsight. So here's what I've got.

This mod requires Wing Commander Saga Prologue (the full version will not work!) and FS2_Open 3.7.5 or later. There will be bugs.

Very special thanks to Talon1024 for all the work he put into this, sorry i couldn't finish my end. :(
CREDITS (read before you use anything)
Spoiler:
Ferret: Model by Klavs, conv. Droid803
Hornet: Model by Howard Day, conv. Talon1024
Epee: Model by Eder (WC Standoff), conv. and tex. Talon1024
Stiletto: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Rapier: Model by Eder, tex. Klavs, conv. Talon1024
Cutlass: Cut content from WC Saga dev archive
Raptor: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Gladius: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Sabre: Model by Klavs, conv. Droid803
Morningstar: Model by Eder, tex. cut content from WC Saga
Wraith: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Broadsword: Model by Eder, conv. + tex. Talon1024
Crossbow: Model by Eder, conv. + tex. Talon1024
Drayman: Model by Eder, conv. + tex. Talon1024
Clydesdale: Model by Eder, conv. + tex. Talon1024
Bengal: Model by Eder, modifications, conv. and tex. by Talon1024
Wake Island: Model by Eder, modifications, conv., and tex. by Talon1024
Gettysburg: WC Saga cut content
Concordia: WC Saga cut content (was slated to be cut from WCAG too, but I never got around to deleting it)
Argo: Talon1024
Confederation: Model by Klavs, conv. Droid803
Exeter: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Gilgamesh: WC Saga cut content
Waterloo: WC Saga cut content, mod. and tex. Talon1024
Venture: WCS Prologue model modified by Talon1024
Olympus: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Laser Mine: WCS cut content
Defense Platform: Starman
Salthi: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Dralthi: Scooby_Doo
Drakhri: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Krant: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Strakha: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Jrathek: Scooby-Doo
Bloodfang: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Jalthi: Model by Eder, mod., conv., and tex. Talon1024
Jalkehi: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Hhriss: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Gratha: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Grikath: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Fralthi: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Fralthra: WCS cut content
Snek Snakeir: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Ralari: Talon1024
Ralatha: WCS cut content
Kamekh: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Dorkir: Talon1024
Dorkathi: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Talon: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Scimitar: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Free Trader: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Asteroid Base: WCS cut content
Argentus: Model by Eder, conv. and tex. Talon1024
Explosion, nebula, and flash effects: FSU team, taken from mediavps
Additional flashes: Ancient-Shivan War team
Tech models and additional effects: MjnMixael
Mass driver: Lightspeed
Laser, particle: Talon1024
Photon, laser battery: Lightspeed
Maul: MjnMixael/:v:

Music:
From Wing Commander, Wing Commander II, Blue Planet: WiH, and Medieval II: Total War
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:14:14 pm by Woolie Wool »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: [DUMP]Wing Commander Advance Guard
Here's a mirror for you: My Server and Google Drive

This mod requires Wing Commander Saga Prologue (the full version will not work!) and FS2_Open 3.7.5 or later. There will be bugs.
I wonder if I can get this to work with WCSaga for FSO. I'll let you know if I get anywhere with that.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
You can, and probably the only reason I didn't was because WCSaga for FSO didn't exist at the time and I didn't want to work with WCS' fork of FSO.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I wonder if I can get this to work with WCSaga for FSO. I'll let you know if I get anywhere with that.
Knossos/FSNebula would be a pretty good mirror...
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

There have been several more or less playable mods (Homeworld, ST) that made it to a more or less complete release, but I thought Knossos is only for completed things.