Hard Light Productions Forums

Off-Topic Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: EtherShock on April 25, 2005, 10:42:58 pm

Title: HLP Store
Post by: EtherShock on April 25, 2005, 10:42:58 pm
I just noticed the HLP Store (http://www.cafepress.com/freespace,freespace2,vasudan,hlp,ntf,holight,gtvi) and I really must commend you guys on this. It was hilarious! You guys really did a great job on it. The descriptions are what put it over the top. Hell, I'm thinking of getting a GTVA hat.

However, there is one question I have here (and there's nothing about it in the FAQ). Isn't it illegal to be making money off of images/logos from Freespace, even if you're just using the money to keep the site going? Although, from other posts I have browsed, you guys seem to cover all your bases before doing anything, and who cares? The stuff is cool! I doubt you make enough money for [V] or Interplay to give a damn.

And yes, I am a newbie, so I have no idea where this post should go. Go ahead and shoot me, give me my ritualistic flogging, or whatever--if you can catch me. :p
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Anaz on April 25, 2005, 10:55:46 pm
:welcome:

That's the traditional way of "welcoming" newbies. I'll let someone else give the spiel.

Also, the store is Galactic Emperor's (or GalEmp as he goes by these days...), so any questions would have to be directed towards him. I think we're operating under the "they don't seem to give a damn" clause.
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Jetmech Jr. on April 25, 2005, 10:56:35 pm
...There's an HLP store?
Title: HLP Store
Post by: EtherShock on April 25, 2005, 11:20:46 pm
Yeah, they have their very own merchandise, where the real money from the game is made. Maybe they should have a link to it somewhere.

Quote
Originally posted by Anaz
I think we're operating under the "they don't seem to give a damn" clause.


Yeah, that's what I figured.
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Sandwich on April 25, 2005, 11:57:33 pm
It's not an "official" store in that the admins didn't set it up and aren't making millions behind the scenes, if that's what anyone is thinking.

Which reminds me, I still have got to order my sweatshirt.
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Night Hammer on April 25, 2005, 11:59:18 pm
well yall better get to dealin then:p
Title: HLP Store
Post by: EtherShock on April 26, 2005, 12:03:02 am
Quote
Originally posted by Sandwich
It's not an "official" store in that the admins didn't set it up and aren't making millions behind the scenes, if that's what anyone is thinking.


Well of course not, an "official" store probably would've attracted unwanted attention. It's blatantly obvious the profits are used to pay for upkeep of the site.
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Night Hammer on April 26, 2005, 12:07:14 am
:confused:
Title: HLP Store
Post by: kode on April 26, 2005, 12:14:44 am
Quote
Originally posted by EtherShock


Well of course not, an "official" store probably would've attracted unwanted attention. It's blatantly obvious the profits are used to pay for upkeep of the site.


I don't know if there is any profit margin on the stuff, but they leech the hosting off gamespy.
Title: HLP Store
Post by: EtherShock on April 26, 2005, 12:55:17 am
Hmm, well in that case--oh well.
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Mongoose on April 26, 2005, 01:19:18 am
Why did I not know about this? Very, very cool. :)
Title: HLP Store
Post by: WMCoolmon on April 26, 2005, 02:31:56 am
Bwhahaha...now I may have a present for my friend that I gave an "IOU" birthday present to.

It'd even make up for interest.

...OMG! A node map mousepad! :eek:
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Setekh on April 26, 2005, 02:39:50 am
Yep, Galemp has some pretty cool stuff on there. :)

Quote
Originally posted by EtherShock
Hmm, well in that case--oh well.


Our hosting is freely provided by GameSpy, with the condition that we display their banner ads. Simple as that!
Title: HLP Store
Post by: kasperl on April 26, 2005, 02:42:37 am
I got the HLP hat, it's great. And it proves the shipping actually works, too.
Title: HLP Store
Post by: NGTM-1R on April 26, 2005, 02:49:55 am
I've long considered buying something...hmm...that Medusa mousepad looks nice...
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Andreas on April 26, 2005, 04:05:29 am
I've always wanted to buy that Medusa-mousepad. Whoa, they've even added a GTA cap :eek: Too bad I can't buy 'em. :(
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Corsair on April 26, 2005, 07:22:37 am
Yes, nobody beat me to the speech! I get to give the welcome spiel, woohoo!

Welcome to HLP!

Exits are to your right and left, and flamethrowers are under your seat. Be careful, though, as they are sometimes filled with water. If this is the case, try to club someone with the non-working shotguns in the weapon closet. Also, be careful while wandering the ventilation shafts, because sometimes Carl the Shivan lurks in there. If you happen to come across him, just toss him your lunch and hope that it satisfies him. If it doesn’t… run. And pray. In the event of an emergency, you can and will be used as a flotation device.  The Plasma rifles in the forward locker are released only under authorization of an Admin, [V] God, and/or hyperintelligent shade of the color blue. Oh, and whatever you do, don't hit on Tiara, no matter how good of an idea it might seem.
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Taristin on April 26, 2005, 07:57:03 am
I still want the PVN messenger bag...
Title: HLP Store
Post by: vyper on April 26, 2005, 08:13:47 am
Cafe Press > *

I used it get custom office stuff (like mousemats) etc made for me biz. Was cheaper than a big supplier. Awesomeness.
Title: HLP Store
Post by: phreak on April 26, 2005, 10:56:12 am
GTVA Baby Doll T-Shirt - Made for all the five or so females that have registered at HLP
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Goober5000 on April 26, 2005, 11:38:15 am
Quote
Originally posted by EtherShock
Well of course not, an "official" store probably would've attracted unwanted attention. It's blatantly obvious the profits are used to pay for upkeep of the site.
Um... no.  Galemp set the prices at the minimum CafePress allows.  He makes no profit from it.
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Stealth on April 26, 2005, 11:44:11 am
maaaan i remember that thing... that's classic :D
Title: Re: HLP Store
Post by: Kie99 on April 26, 2005, 12:00:31 pm
Shoots and ritualistically flogs EtherShock.

What?  I was bored!
Title: HLP Store
Post by: EtherShock on April 26, 2005, 12:36:33 pm
*Uses 1-Up mushroom*

What I don't get is why do the shirts say Freespace 2 on the back. Would anyone other than us buy this stuff? We already know what the graphics mean.

*scratches chin* I also wonder how many extra posts people have gained with the welcome speech.

Quote
Originally posted by Goober5000
Um... no.  Galemp set the prices at the minimum CafePress allows.  He makes no profit from it.


OK, so should we assume all the money goes to CafePress?
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Inquisitor on April 26, 2005, 02:52:59 pm
Yes, all the money goes to cafepress.
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Roanoke on April 26, 2005, 04:02:56 pm
everyone should have a shivan poster on their wall(s)
Title: HLP Store
Post by: EtherShock on April 26, 2005, 04:30:58 pm
Hey wait a minute, is that Carl on that poster?
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Marauder on April 27, 2005, 06:41:35 am
Yes it is Carl!  Now I can't believe you've not gotten the spiel yet!
Drumroll puh-leaase!

:welcome:

Exits are to the rear and left.  They have been plastered shut with baguettes and peanut butter, so don’t try to use them. All hallways are monitored by sentry cannons that are equipped with n00b and spam detection systems, so don’t move. Now, don’t breathe. Stay like this for a while.

Under your seat you will find some of Raa’s cookies, Shrike’s dungeon pr0n, an0n’s graffiti, and a soggy newspaper containing news on the events of April 1, 2005; and the forum’s latest highlights, and a flame thrower.  We ran out of napalm on January 7, 2001, so you’ll have to bludgeon people to death.  Be sure to check out the Source Code Project, “A Journey of the Forgotten” in Hard Light Art, and the HLP Store, well, you’ve already discovered, so max out that credit card for HLP rewards miles, which can get you a trip anywhere from Capella to Gamma Draconis, courtesy of the NTF Air!

If for some dull reason you have avoided the sentries and are stuck wandering through the dank, dark ducts, stay armed to the teeth with lunch.  Chances are, you’ll encounter Carl, our local Shivan, so if you do, set down your lunch and slowly step away.  Hopefully he’ll leave you alone—he’s usually satisfied with those.  On the other hand, if you follow Raa, our Professor Tor’h Coolguy Vasudan, you’ll see him enter a kitchen.  Should you wish to peek inside, you’ll see him pull out a box, then a human head.  Should he see you, he’ll pull out a machete…

Welcome again to HLP! Have a nice day.

:p
Title: HLP Store
Post by: KappaWing on April 27, 2005, 12:30:02 pm
Wow! This store is great. I just bought 4 t-shirts!
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Sandwich on April 27, 2005, 01:03:30 pm
Quote
Originally posted by Marauder
Yes it is Carl!  Now I can't believe you've not gotten the spiel yet!
Drumroll puh-leaase!

:welcome:

Exits are to the rear and left.  They have been plastered shut with baguettes and peanut butter, so don’t try to use them. All hallways are monitored by sentry cannons that are equipped with n00b and spam detection systems, so don’t move. Now, don’t breathe. Stay like this for a while.

Under your seat you will find some of Raa’s cookies, Shrike’s dungeon pr0n, an0n’s graffiti, and a soggy newspaper containing news on the events of April 1, 2005; and the forum’s latest highlights, and a flame thrower.  We ran out of napalm on January 7, 2001, so you’ll have to bludgeon people to death.  Be sure to check out the Source Code Project, “A Journey of the Forgotten” in Hard Light Art, and the HLP Store, well, you’ve already discovered, so max out that credit card for HLP rewards miles, which can get you a trip anywhere from Capella to Gamma Draconis, courtesy of the NTF Air!

If for some dull reason you have avoided the sentries and are stuck wandering through the dank, dark ducts, stay armed to the teeth with lunch.  Chances are, you’ll encounter Carl, our local Shivan, so if you do, set down your lunch and slowly step away.  Hopefully he’ll leave you alone—he’s usually satisfied with those.  On the other hand, if you follow Raa, our Professor Tor’h Coolguy Vasudan, you’ll see him enter a kitchen.  Should you wish to peek inside, you’ll see him pull out a box, then a human head.  Should he see you, he’ll pull out a machete…

Welcome again to HLP! Have a nice day.

:p



Uhh... he did get the "spiel", on the previous page. But I must admit it wasn't quite as... extensive... as yours... :nervous:
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Marauder on April 27, 2005, 01:09:36 pm
Oops.  My bad. :p
Title: HLP Store
Post by: EtherShock on April 27, 2005, 02:31:57 pm
*Points* Strip him of his welcome post! He's just trying to get more posts! :lol:

Nah, I don't care. I'm just joking with you. I'm kind of crazy. :wakka:

I wonder how many more times I'm going to get the welcome deal? That's twice already.

Grr, you'd think I'd be used to this editor already. >.<
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Sandwich on April 28, 2005, 12:22:24 am
Quote
Originally posted by EtherShock
I'm kind of crazy. :wakka:


Ah. That explains why you seem to fit in perfectly here.
Title: HLP Store
Post by: redsniper on April 28, 2005, 03:35:07 pm
Marauder is a girl btw.
Title: HLP Store
Post by: Shrike on April 28, 2005, 03:39:43 pm
Quote
Originally posted by EtherShock
Well of course not, an "official" store probably would've attracted unwanted attention. It's blatantly obvious the profits are used to pay for upkeep of the site.
Actually there was a bit of a spat when we (HLP) found out that our logo and name was being used without our permission on merchandise.  We eventually got it straightened out, but there is no connection between the HLP store and HLP itself.