Announcing version 2.3.2 of the FreeSpace Open Installer!DOWNLOAD
The Installer requires Java 1.5 or higher, which is supported on all Windows platforms from Win98SE through 10, as well as OSX, Linux, and many other systems.
You can also download
a Windows EXE application, created using Launch4J
- Installs FreeSpace 2! *
- Installs OpenAL, FSO, and the MediaVPs!
- Installs multiple mods in parallel!
- Support for multiple languages! **
- Extracts files from .zip, .7z, .rar, and any format supported by 7zip!
- Automatic hash validation (MD5, SHA-1, or SHA-256) of downloaded files!
- Can connect through a proxy!
- And much, much more!
* To install FS2 using the FSO Installer, you will need the FreeSpace 2 setup package from GOG (i.e. setup_freespace2_126.96.36.199.exe
). (Capability to install from the FS2 CDs may be added in a future version.) The Installer uses InnoExtract
to copy the files from the package to the game directory. This provides a true cross-platform capability for automatically installing FreeSpace 2.
** Currently supported languages are English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, French, and Hungarian. Post on this thread if you'd like to contribute an additional translation.Important Note: The Installer depends on mod authors to add their mods to its repository.
If you don't see your favorite mod listed in the installer, bug the mod author to add it! Or post in this thread, and maybe some generous soul will help get the mod added.Important Note 2: If you'd like to return the Installer to "factory default settings"
(for example, if you want the Installer to forget about all the mods it's installed), delete the fsoinstaller.properties
file in your profile folder. On Windows, your profile folder is something like C:\Users\<username>.