Author Topic: Is it just me or does FS1 feel *really* unpolished?  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Re: Is it just me or does FS1 feel *really* unpolished?
Okay but "the Vasudan foothold on Vasuda Prime" is prima facie, and without context, dumb.

d) That's a problem for an Editor to catch - not just the writer. If you don't have an editor, and the writer is also doing a different job, you of course wind up with suboptimal results. But that's not an issue with the writing per se but with work organisation at the studio.

Unless your 'editor' is a joke, fails to spot any errors you made AND adds errors where there were none any to start with. I had this with the first two articles in my three-parter over at Vocal Media. (It's the hit piece about how implausible / boring popular 'humans with bumpy heads aliens' are.)

The, editor for, the, first article had a, thing, for commas so put, them where, they, were not, needed.  :)

The second one sentence the structure altered makes sense it didn't so.  :lol:

Apparently they were 'training their moderators'. At least they fixed it quickly after I kicked off  :p

Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Something I will point out with FS1 is that while the writing is significantly more functional, dry, and unfocused, the way they incorporate their game systems into the plot is in many ways more interesting (to me at least) than what FS2 did. FS1 has the entire Shivan introduction to play with its mechanics and then calls back to the first few missions of the game in Good Luck.

FS2 has nothing like this and as much as I love the SOC loops and As Lighting Fall in particular, they don't have the same dramatic impact that turning whole systems off and on in the first game did.

I have to agree that it's remarkable FS2 was developed in the time it had, though the FS engine and tools probably helped a lot. (I also remember some comments about the texture mapping and model quality of FS2 ships not being as good as FS1 but I can't remember who said that or where it was).
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I also remember some comments about the texture mapping and model quality of FS2 ships not being as good as FS1 but I can't remember who said that or where it was

FS1 models were made before the engine got support for 3D hardware acceleration. Therefore many textures were not adhering to the size constraints of the early 3D cards, like maximum size of 256x256 and clumsy support of non-power-of-two sized textures.
By setting the proper registry flag (and if your 3D card supported the texture) you could enable the game to use those large textures.

For FS2 ditched the software renderer, so many (but not all) textures of the reused FS1 ships got downsampled to be maximum size of 256x256 to play nicely on the 3D cards of the day (which typically had 8MB, 16MB or maybe 32MB of RAM).

See below the example of drone02-01a.pcx, which got dumped from 1088x512 to 256x120 pixels.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:00:39 am by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
 :eek2:

That's an eye opener!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I never knew that... because i never played the original FreeSpace i assume  :D.

But that is very interesting.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

:eek2:

That's an eye opener!

Just that FS1 felt more like an eyeball-opener to me TBH, you could look through the capships...