Author Topic: ULTRA hi-res maps avaliable!  (Read 9487 times)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
ULTRA hi-res maps avaliable!
Just out of curiosity, what kind of comp specs would you need to run a "Battle of Endor" scenario at a decent speed?
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I think anything over a gig with a 3D card would be fine with maybe a dozen capships in hi-res. But if you want the FORTY-something that was in the BoE and the dozens of fighters flying around, not to mention a space station the size of a small moon... you'd better take your time designing it and make sure you've got at least a 1.5 ghz and <256 megs of RAM.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The problem is that I get the distinct feeling that the FS2 rendering engine, as-is, is simply incapable of handling anywhere near that many ships at a decent framerate.

I've recently played a mission where there were a few fighter/bomber wings, a station, 2 Argos and 2 Anukets (Vasudan gas miners). When pointed in their direction, my framerate would go choppy. But I know of a surety that my comp is perfectly capable of better than that - IWAR2 has proven that wit it's high-poly models.

Thus I am forced to conclude that it is FS2 itself that can't handle BoE scenarios.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Raptor

Okay, my mistake, the game was not running the missions because the weapons.TBL got messed up somehow (haven't got a clue how, and could I find the fault?:mad2: )

Running now though, so I can play around again.

Maps are used, but are knocked down quite harsly, so my Icarus  looks rather, em, bad (when compared to Modviews display)

PS: Where sould i upload stuff to be posted here, or, alternately, is there anyone willing to post stuff for me?
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by Sheepy
Well does this actually improve FS2?, and for the registry i cant find those in your link, what do i need to edit for fs2?

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,482.0.html

Gotta love the search function. ;)  Seriously, Setekh explained the process in great detail in that thread.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
I have that stupid DVD... peice of crap was an OEM for the P3 processor... and I have an AMD Duron...

I had to get the fs1.exe whatever from Sandwich, and I didn't realize it cut out afterburner trails...

could anyone crack my FS1 OEM to work on a Duron?

There's no need to. :)  Get yourself a Duron with a Morgan core.  That has the SSE instructions coded into it, so it'll run that DVD just fine.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan