Author Topic: paging in/out textures?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
paging in/out textures?
I'm in the middle of implementing the mod for additional squad logos, but I'm currently a little confused.  I see all this stuff about textures being paged in at the beginning of the mission, but none about them being paged out.  Should I call bm_unload or bm_release at the end of the mission for my ship logos?

The ship_level_init function says that models are paged out between each mission, but I can't find any place where their textures are unloaded.  Since I have to use bm_load_duplicate for the squad logos, I'm worried about the unused bitmaps piling up from mission to mission and eventually requiring you to restart the game.

On the other hand, I looked into the shield rendering routines and saw a cryptic comment that seemed to say that shield effects didn't need to be paged out, because the bitmap manager did it automatically.  But I haven't been able to substantiate that on my own.

Any advice?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Never mind.  This should be handled by the model code (if and when it even is handled) so I shouldn't have to worry specially about it. :)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
what are you doing with squad logos?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm