Author Topic: X2 - Longer Term impressions...  (Read 779 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
X2 - Longer Term impressions...
Ok, I've been playing this game for a few weeks now, I'm doing pretty well, but since a few people have wondered whether to buy this game or not, I thought I'd point out a few weaknesses within the game that you might want to think about.

1 : Explore - Well, this section of the game is ok, theres lots to look at (though quite often the same thing, but I don't have a problem with the graphics). The 'Random Enemy Generator' that makes Khaak appear out of nowhere is annoying, specially as a single Khaak attack can cost you ships you can only barely afford.

2 : Trade - Good, but slow, though there are Megaships available, without cheating, these are not ships you are going to be taking into battle for quite a while. I own 3 factories, and though they turn over enough to keep me in supplies, expanding is a slow business, possibly too slow to maintain interest.

3 : Fight - Don't. Let your computer do the fighting unless you are gliding across a sector in a destroyer looking at the fireworks. This is probably the worst part of the game since the refresh rate gets very poor, particuarly if your carrier has just spewed forth about 30-40 fighters.

4 : Think. It doesn't, at least not above the levels of Extensions, if you ever played that, they have at least made protecting ships defend themselves, but ships still won't automatically use Jumpdrives, even if you have energy cells on board etc, you have to go through the job of boarding them etc.

The 1.3 Patch is out which has a universe, ship and item editor (though pretty basic ones ATM) which will allow more advanced trading scripts etc, but a 'cheat' has to be used in game to activate them. This always seems a bit of a copout to me, since Egosoft are leaving the fans to write the parts of the game they should have done before release. There are other 'Moron' attacks in the AI such as you have to assign the behaviour of turrets on every single ship, and fighters flying to a destination will ignore someone attacking them because they weren't ordered to defend themselves, it's little things like this that many people find annoying.

So my final opinion on X2?

It IS a good, enjoyable game, but if you stripped away the graphics and the storyline, it's Extensions. I'm amazed that Egosoft have spent this long creating this game.

I always wanted to get involved in writing a decent version of something like this, where the ships actually used a decent level of AI, and an interface where you can block-command ships (or block assign homebase, one of the most annoying lacks in X2), or set fighters to automatically re-arm, assign freighters as Supply ships on Carriers (Will re-supply weapons/missiles to the Carrier on command, subject to availability) Pirates co-ordinate their attacks and don't attack Pythons with 2 Mandalays and a Bayamon, enemy races have a plan of attack, and invade from their own systems outwards, instead of just popping up out of nowhere next to your unarmed freighter, a feat your own ships cannot achieve.

If I felt like the game was trying to help your business expand instead of making it a job of assigning, reassigning, checking, rechecking, jobs that most industrialists hire people for, I wouldn't even care of the graphics were really basic.

That said my advice to anyone thinking of buying X2 is think very carefully, if you are happy spending hours micromanaging your fleet in every aspect (like Master of Orion etc) Then this is a game for you, if you are more RTS based, you'll probably find this slow and irritating after a while.

Flipside

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
what storyline?
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The whole Ban Danna, Seya Kho thing etc, admittedly not much of a storyline, but it's there :) Same as X-Tensions, the storyline was a background thing, the main point was to make money in order to continue down the storyline.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
I keep going back to try to finish this game and I can't. It makes me shed tears of blood. Its so utterly PAINFUL to try to suffer through the annoying interfaces and stuff just to get to the incredibly poor story...

Man, I don't think this game could have been a worse flop. Yeah, I'm bitter cuz I payed for it. :(
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
erm.....trade.... use TPs and youll be rich

think ... huh?

fight = fun
I hate My signature!

Offline Skaarj

well i like the game unitl i tried to fight and the game ground to a halt and i have a Athlon 3.0, 1024DDr Ram, 120HD 9700 Pro radeon, win XP with Dx9 and the latest drivers and it runs that slow i end up shouting at the system, this really bugs me that the developers make it that the game needs i VERY high spec system, i think i have a good rig and will not upgrade any further + i can't afford it. just hope doom 3 and half-life2 aren't that power hungry
"Horus was weak. Horus was a fool. He had the whole galaxy within his grasp and he let it slip away."
-Abaddon the Despoiler

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast "
-Ace Rimmer (what a guy)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Can someone show me an example of one of the cutscenes? :D

Plus, every review I've read simply glows about the game. How come?

And one last thing: the storyline. What is it that makes it so bad?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's not really a bad storyline, but sometimes it gets in the way of making shedloads of cash :) The voice acting is just a bit dodgy, but isn't a shade on the Lipsync, and the in-game comms images have a habit of flicking between personalities, which is bloody annoying! Finally, the cutscenes... ahhh.. thank you Escape Button, it's not that they are bad, but it's like they are tagged on as an afterthought, everyone walks like they have severe constipation, and people tend to stand and stare at each other in silence for long periods of time in the X-Universe ;)

Despite what I said here, I actually like the game, but if you are looking for Elite 2004, this isn't it.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Originally posted by Unknown Target
Can someone show me an example of one of the cutscenes? :D
I wish I could show you, but I can't. I don't hate you enough to make your eyes bleed. Just think of the worst 3d character animation you've ever seen. Then add the worst voice acting ever. Then take all of that and replace it with something WORSE. THAT'S X2 cutscenes.
Plus, every review I've read simply glows about the game. How come?
They were paid off.
And one last thing: the storyline. What is it that makes it so bad?
Part of the problem is that the storyline is barely there to begin with. The other part of the problem is that its really not a good story to begin with. As much as I liked Iwar2, even I have to admit the story ain't that great. X2 has really badly written dialog, which, when combined with the voice acting, adds up to a story that actually causes you physical and emotional pain to experience.

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Originally posted by mikhael
Iart of the problem is that the storyline is barely there to begin with. The other part of the problem is that its really not a good story to begin with. As much as I liked Iwar2, even I have to admit the story ain't that great. X2 has really badly written dialog, which, when combined with the voice acting, adds up to a story that actually causes you physical and emotional pain to experience.

Try playing it on a machine that can barely get over 10 FPS max with it..
Now that's pain.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
the needs to be more variety in the ships, 'cause somma the models are quite plain..

*pokes his split destroyer*
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Plain?

How about "positively 1980s era 3d"?

I really AM bitter.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Anybody running with a card that doesn't have hardware bump mapping, turn it off, and them shadows. Yes, they look pretty, but the bump mapping in particular is such a frame-eater it's unbelievable. I don't know whether it's just bad coding or whether it really is going to have this effect on non-hardware setups, but SCP guys, please take heed ;)