Author Topic: For all you sim nuts!  (Read 1046 times)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
For all you sim nuts!
The Corsair and a full flight deck have never looked so good before:

Pacific Fighters...a game in development primarily done by a third party and supported by Maddox games...the guys who did IL2 Sturmovik and Forgotten Battles.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
HOT DAMN!

I was hoping not to have to buy a new video card for a while longer, but I think when that hits, I'm buying it. :D

As soon as I get a job, I'm buying Forgotten Battles Gold and LOMAC and not leaving my HOTAS alone except to sleep, make love or go to work. Work might be optional.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
Clouds look a lot like LOMAC's... wonder if its the same engine... wouldn't be suprised. Ubisoft makes some damn nice sims. Although they do hang towards to russian side of things. IL-2 definately shows that :)

*snicker*

[edit]whoops, wrong image[/edit]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 04:08:01 pm by 116 »

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Apparently the LOMAC and Il2/FB engines are separate but both Eagle Dynamics and Maddox games are Russian based and I have no idea if they have a working relationship...there may have been some sharing of ideas.

LOMAC's engine is definately more advanced than IL2/FB/or Pacific Fighters but its also more of a hog and its definately a newer engine.

Even so...FB is my latest computer game love...I think I'm hooked and I will be for a while with all of these new games coming out.  My first real flight sim was Aces of the Pacific.  So its sort of a circular thing for me :D
- IceFire

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
My first flight sim was Jane's AH64D Longbow.

I almost gave up sims entirely after that. It wasn't because the game was bad, it was because its bloody damned hard to fly a combat helicopter without real training! That game is really at the core of what drove me to HOTAS gear in the first place.

And the funny thing? I've not touched a helo sim since.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Yeah I gave up sims for quite a while.  Aces of the Pacific and Aces Over Europe and then Strike Eagle III and then I sort of stopped.  Everything got too complicated for me to really enjoy...so I stayed away.

Then something got me interested in CFS3 and WWII air combat again so I watched that game get developed.  Turned out it was a bomb so I avoided it and broke down and bought Forgotten Battles instead (the old IL2 demo was a blast!).  Its still somewhat complicated but there are no fire modes, radar mode types, setting silly little nitpick things....you have a crosshair, an engine, and a trigger and when you shoot things blow up good :)

Its obviously more subtle than that but I've managed to slowly work my way up using more complex engine settings (and really its not THAT much more complex) and things are good!
- IceFire

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by mikhael
My first flight sim was Jane's AH64D Longbow.

My first one was Gunship2000 :D

DC: well, that's not a pb to me, since everybody else is making US planes fight sims. That said, Ubi could make a Rafale flight sim, some patriotism wouldn't hurt :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
My first real sim was Jane's F-15. Best one ever, still, nothin's been able to touch it, or my awesome back-seater :D
And that engine looks like FBs. Can't wait to get this.

Offline 01010

Originally posted by Nico

My first one was Gunship2000 :D

DC: well, that's not a pb to me, since everybody else is making US planes fight sims. That said, Ubi could make a Rafale flight sim, some patriotism wouldn't hurt :p

Mine was F/A-18 Flight simulator on the Amiga and I think I was all of 9 years old. I remember all I used to do was shoot down the friendly air traffic. Gunship 2000 was one of the best helo sims I'd played all the way up to Enemy Engaged: Apache/Havoc, loved that game even though it kicks my ass to a stupid degree.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Only other helo game I ever played was Comanche VS Werewolf, hardly what you'd call a simulator, but it was hella fun :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I played the Commanche/Hokum demo, awesome game :)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Comanche v. Hokum... I think I saw that on the budget rack at the local game shop. I might pick that up. I haven't played a helo sim since AH64D and it would be nice to play one a bit more... oh... forgiving...

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
What a nice picture of me and my buddies! ;)
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by mikhael
Comanche v. Hokum... I think I saw that on the budget rack at the local game shop. I might pick that up. I haven't played a helo sim since AH64D and it would be nice to play one a bit more... oh... forgiving...

Don't. Unless you have some way to slow your PC down, that is :)
I seem to recal trying the demo on my athlon 900, and it suffered from the Screamer syndrom: it's not smoother, it's faster. Way, way faster. Something like flying a X15 at 30 meters above the ground trying to dodge laser shots :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Gank

Hind is a decent enough game as far as I can remember, cant beat the old lhx attack chopper though

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Gank
cant beat the old lhx attack chopper though

Lol, you could find even older if you search well :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
I do have stuff to slow my processor down--and more importantly, I have some old processors and motherboards laying around. :D

Offline Gank

aye but its the first one I played, quite good too. Still have it lying about somewhere on 5ΒΌ floppys, along with starglider, nother classic.