Author Topic: Making a patrol route  (Read 2476 times)

I want to have a event setup to where the player needs patrol a certain route.  For the AI ships I just setup waypoints and gave them the order.  For the player ship I have nav bouys at the waypoints for visual clues.  Any ideas?

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
If you will want to use the distance expression.

If you want the player to follow the AI's, you will make an event that will activate another once the player is X distance from the AI ship it must follow. The activated event will become true once the player is X plus something distance from the AI ship you want to follow. Then you can link it to a goal making the goal false. You can use warning for the player in other events that were activated by the first by putting a distance expression but with a lower distance to the AI ship you want the player to follow and then send a message in that event.

If you want to have just the player following nav bouys, you just have to put a distance expression in the bouys you want him to follow that's all there is to it.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

I'm not sure how to get the distance sexp enabled.  I got it once by accident then removed it.  But when I had it I wasn't sure what I was doing with it.

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
Use one of the symbols in the Arithmetic section. > or < should cover your needs.

This is something I hacked out but the message shows at the start of the mission instead of when being close to the bouy.

when
      |_ <
      |    |_distance
      |    |      |_nav bouy 2
      |    |      |_
      |    |__10
      |_show message

Its probably not right but its supposed be when within 10 meters of the bouy show the message.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Are the nav bouies friendly?  I.e. can you target it and see a green box?  The SEXP looks ok in principle, but you're discounting an obvious possibility.  It might be better to list of your fighter specifically (Alpha 1)  rather than ; I don't know what effect you're going for but I think that's what you'll want to do.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

I changed it to my craft and now it works.  Thanks for the help.

Offline magatsu1

on that point, always use "less than" or "greater than". "Equal" has to be_exactly_ equal and is therefore kinda useless.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Solatar

In order to be closer than X (distance from object) you must cross X.

Less than or greater than are probably just a better habit to get into though.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Solatar
In order to be closer than X (distance from object) you must cross X.

Less than or greater than are probably just a better habit to get into though.

In the case of distance you're correct but when it comes to other things like damage certain numbers get skipped making = a bad choice.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]