Author Topic: Joystick can't be configured  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Gene

Joystick can't be configured
I just bought a Logitech 3D Pro joystick, the one that has a twisting handle. Problem is none of the rod movies are registered in FS.

I enabled my joystick in the launcher (FSOpen 3.6), and in-game the BUTTONS (primary fire, secondary fire etc) are recognized fine in config, and they also work in game. But the rod's moves (pitch change and bank roll), as well as the twist (turning), don't respond in configuration, and don't work in game.

Can I do anything about it?

I have the same joystick and it works fine for me in 3,6....

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Joystick can't be configured
Originally posted by Gene
I just bought a Logitech 3D Pro joystick, the one that has a twisting handle. Problem is none of the rod movies are registered in FS.

I enabled my joystick in the launcher (FSOpen 3.6), and in-game the BUTTONS (primary fire, secondary fire etc) are recognized fine in config, and they also work in game. But the rod's moves (pitch change and bank roll), as well as the twist (turning), don't respond in configuration, and don't work in game.

Can I do anything about it?

Press F2 and then configure them. If you previously used a joystick which didn't have those axes you won't get them automatically added when you upgrade. (In fact I'm not certain if FS2 automatically binds the twisting axis or throttle even if start a new pilot).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Gene

I already went to F2 and tried. It's possible for me to configure buttons (primary fire, secondary fire and so on), but not the rod turning or switching.

I CAN go to my external Logitech profiler to force joystick commands recognized, BUT it only works as substitute for keyboard. EG I can make it so pulling the rod left works like pressing 4 on the keypad, which would turn my ship. HOWEVER the problem with that is the fact the keyboard lacks "amount of force", as in it can a key can either be pressed or not pressed, I can't press it more or less. Therefore the joystick also reacts either not at all or at full force, as if I was using a keyboard, very sharp, unwieldy, and impossible to dogfight in. I'm much better off flying with the mouse where I can control the amount of force I put in a turn, climb etc. Unfortunately I can't make the external profiler have the joystick substitute mouse movement.

That's why I need to get the game itself to recognize the movement of the joystick in the F2 screen.

I wonder whether my F2 data is saved anywhere I can edit? I could open the data or registry and edit the commands myself if I knew where they are and what data to replace with.

PS I never used any joystick before, and my game was never configured to use one.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The other solution is given here

Offline Gene

Tried putting it on Force 0 or Force 1, didn't help either unfortunately. At Force 1 it didn't detect joystick at all (not even the buttons), and at Force 0 or other options it had the same problem I described.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Does it work in retail? You'll have to move the vp files temporarily to check but it would help to know if it does.